Question on extensions

ClevelandKid

If you have a Viking extension and Viking air, the flights are scheduled to coincide with the extension dates. If you add Viking Air later, they will still book flights to work with the extension. ( I’m not sure how it works if you add the extension after the flights are ticketed, I’m afraid that might require a change fee.) When you arrive, Viking will meet you at the airport and transport you to the hotel. The Viking hosts in the lobby will advise you about check in and distribute the room keys when the rooms are ready. If you arrive before checkin time, Viking and the hotel will store your luggage so you can explore on your own. The hotel information will be in your final Viking documents, emailed a few weeks prior to the trip. The tentative hotel is on your invoice. We’ve had 3 extensions, and were pleased with the help and advice of the Viking hosts in the lobby. All hotels were high class, with included breakfast buffets. 

Edited by CDR2001

53 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

The hotel information will be in your final Viking documents, emailed a few weeks prior to the trip. The tentative hotel is on your invoice. We’ve had 3 extensions, and were pleased with the help and advice of the Viking hosts in the lobby. All hotels were high class, with included breakfast buffets. 

I was hoping that the hotel information would be finalized at about the same time as the air.  Viking says "at this hotel or something similar".  On this extension, Viking offers nothing beyond the hotel and the meet and greet and I would like to plan the day and know what my base of operations will be.

16 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

I was hoping that the hotel information would be finalized at about the same time as the air.  Viking says "at this hotel or something similar".  On this extension, Viking offers nothing beyond the hotel and the meet and greet and I would like to plan the day and know what my base of operations will be.

We did a pre-cruise extension in Vancouver, BC before our Alaska & The Inside Passage cruise a few weeks back.  We were notified what hotel we were staying at exactly 1 year before our arrival date.  Our air reservations were changed a number of times after the original flights were communicated.  But the hotel did not change.  Of course, your experience could be different.

I hope that helps some.

Tim

Edited by PlanoTim
  • Like 1

Our documentation when we booked the cruise with extension over one year in advance listed the hotel name on our Guest Statement.  In researching the hotel, it's amenities and location I noticed it was still closed from Covid shutdown.  Everytime I looked it was still closed with no opening date.  About 4 months before our cruise, a new hotel appeared on our Guest Statement with no email notice.  An excursion was included in the extension and those details were shared about 2 months before cruise.  We made our plans to see what wasn't included in the excursion and hired a private guide.  When we arrive to the Viking desk at the hotel, we learned about 2 other excursions that Viking organized for a fee.  We had no idea that Viking did that and couldn't join them because we already made plans.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CDR2001 said:

If you have a Viking extension and Viking air, the flights are scheduled to coincide with the extension dates. If you add Viking Air later, they will still book flights to work with the extension. ( I’m not sure how it works if you add the extension after the flights are ticketed, I’m afraid that might require a change fee.) When you arrive, Viking will meet you at the airport and transport you to the hotel. The Viking hosts in the lobby will advise you about check in and distribute the room keys when the rooms are ready. If you arrive before checkin time, Viking and the hotel will store your luggage so you can explore on your own. The hotel information will be in your final Viking documents, emailed a few weeks prior to the trip. The tentative hotel is on your invoice. We’ve had 3 extensions, and were pleased with the help and advice of the Viking hosts in the lobby. All hotels were high class, with included breakfast buffets. 

I tried to add a post-cruise extension after the air ticketed. They required me to pay $350 pp to change the tickets. So, I chose not to add the extension.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

About 4 months before our cruise, a new hotel appeared on our Guest Statement with no email notice. 

TayanaLorna, where did you find this Guest Statement? Was it emailed to you but the hotel change wasn't highlighted? I only see where I can request a statement and not view it on my MVJ. 

11 hours ago, junnipper said:

TayanaLorna, where did you find this Guest Statement? Was it emailed to you but the hotel change wasn't highlighted? I only see where I can request a statement and not view it on my MVJ. 

You request a statement and it is sent to your email on record.  In the email are several attachments.  One is called Guest Statement.  If you open that, your extension info should show the hotel.  Don't remember which page. Just carefully read through it.

• Like 1