Disembarkation in San Juan: 3/4/23

back1817

Our first visit to San Juan.  We arrive Sunday morning on SDll ending the Marigot to San Juan 7 day cruise. Things to see, places to eat, in San Juan.  Arrive Sunday, fly out on Tuesday afternoon.  Is that enough time, to much time? We're flexible.  Your suggestions are appreciated fellow SeaDreamers.  This will be our third SeaDream cruise.  Long overdue! 

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely do San Juan in a couple of days depending on how deep of a dive you like to take into your travel destinations. Love strolling the streets of Old San Juan, popping into shops and interesting restaurants.  Recommend Marmalade and/or Santaella for dinner(s).  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

When my husband and I visited, one of our favorite excursions was El Yunque (rainforest).  We rented a car and spent a few hours there.  If you have the time and inclination, I would highly recommend it.  Wear clothes you can get wet and good walking shoes with traction!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Italian food go to Cucina di Ivo in Old San Juan. (You may have to ask for help in finding it ,but if you do, it is well worth it.  Nice, romantic ambiance and great food).    

Edited by cabosal1
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, SeaDream no longer docks across from the Sheraton in Old SanJuan.  We discovered this only the morning of embarkation, when we watched from our balcony as SDI sailed on bye.  I had to call SD in Miami to be told it was now docking in Pan Am dock, a short cab ride away, but definitely not walking distance.  SD was good about telling me where the dock was, sending a map of the location, however prior knowledge would have been helpful.  I was told this was a new docking for this year.  

12 minutes ago, cabosal1 said:

Unfortunately, SeaDream no longer docks across from the Sheraton in Old SanJuan.  We discovered this only the morning of embarkation, when we watched from our balcony as SDI sailed on bye.  I had to call SD in Miami to be told it was now docking in Pan Am dock, a short cab ride away, but definitely not walking distance.  SD was good about telling me where the dock was, sending a map of the location, however prior knowledge would have been helpful.  I was told this was a new docking for this year.  

It was timely that we read your post today, as we are boarding on the third. I didn't really look at our cruise docs, just assumed. I won't do that again. It won't matter to us as we are not staying in the old town, but we would have taken a taxi to the wrong dock. Thank you, and happy new year.

We just received clarification from SD. 

When we looked at our cruise docs, it said Pier #4, which is the one in Old Town that we have previously sailed from.  We emailed SD to confirm, and they replied almost immediately. They are using various piers now, rather than sticking to the Old Town pier. 

Bottom line, we need to look at our cruise docs closely.

When we departed on December 27, 2022 we departed at the PanAm pier. There is a shopping mall, and many newer hotels near this dock.  The big ships where docking at the Old Town piers.  We were staying at the Old Town Sheraton post cruise when the Harmony of the Seas, Carnival Magic, Odyssey of the Seas and Viking Sea where docked - Old Town was packed, with walking and driving gridlock; Old Town had lost some of its charm, but good for the locals.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, popper said:

When we departed on December 27, 2022 we departed at the PanAm pier. There is a shopping mall, and many newer hotels near this dock.  The big ships where docking at the Old Town piers.  We were staying at the Old Town Sheraton post cruise when the Harmony of the Seas, Carnival Magic, Odyssey of the Seas and Viking Sea where docked - Old Town was packed, with walking and driving gridlock; Old Town had lost some of its charm, but good for the locals.  

Exactly right.  We were just there on the Viking Sea.  Old San Juan was a madhouse.  Crammed with people, very noisy, and the Sheraton seriously needs a refit.  The docks SD used to use seemed to be having some construction so maybe next year they will be back "front row".  She looked beautiful from the cab and no one does the Caribbean better than SD.  We were on Viking Sea using cruise credits before we lost them, otherwise we would have been on SeaDream.🍸

Looked out our hotel window this morning and saw SD II in the harbor. Pier 4 is not the pier we have used before. That was Pier 1 across from CVS. 4 is just a couple of blocks further down, across from Walgreens. Old Town has been very crowded, but that may be because of the holiday weekend. 

47 minutes ago, TrapperZimmy said:

Looked out our hotel window this morning and saw SD II in the harbor. Pier 4 is not the pier we have used before. That was Pier 1 across from CVS. 4 is just a couple of blocks further down, across from Walgreens. Old Town has been very crowded, but that may be because of the holiday weekend. 

Hi Trap

It was also very crowded last week. We were at Pier 5.  Same dock other side.  Competing music everywhere.  Wow! San Juan sure jacked everything up overnight for all us stuck Southwest refugees.  Found a Hilton product near the airport, $500/night.....No free breakfast.  Jets every 15 minutes at takeoff thrust actually seemed quieter than the street musician with the amplified saxophone.  😱🥃  I think we mentioned we were using Viking funny money credits or we would have been on SD.  Scary thought that, you and me back on the same boat......🍸   All we would need to make it perfect would be Ho-Hum and Blondie.🍷