Would I like Virgin Voyages?

Shep_Proudfoot

Considering trying Virgin but not sure it would be a good fit. Been on a dozen plus cruises across half a dozen lines and current line of choice is Celebrity. I am very lukewarm on the latest generation of Celebrity ships and their fake balconies and it might be fun to try something new. We are a married couple in their 50s who typically book a veranda cabin.

On one hand the dining options sound interesting (no MDR sounds awesome!) and food and drink (especially good and varied beers) is a big part of cruising. We find most cruise entertainment, especially the music, subpar or uninteresting, and Virgin seems to be less cookie cutter there. Quality music options would be hugely appealing.

On the other hand, although especially for our ages we not averse to partying some, we are a bit older than the VV target demographic and not remotely hipster, in fact living in a major city where hipster venues abound we tend to avoid them, or at least certainly don’t go out of our way for them. Also while we love music and live music, we’re selective and anything hip hop or “new” country is absolutely despised and it sounds like at least hip hop may be present (prevalent?) on Virgin. I don’t want to spend my vacation rolling my eyes or holed up on my veranda, excuse me, sea terrace. Also a big part of the cruise experience is relaxation and being at sea without hearing the noises of others or the PA system (think Carnival) and some quiet public spaces are desired.

So given this, not sure if VV is worth a try or not, anyone who has been have any thoughts?

• Like 1

I'm in my 60s, somewhat conservative, and VV is my new favorite cruise line.  It is definitely different than what I had surmised from the ads.  In their first 6 months, the average age on board was 47, 50% of sailors were married couples.  A very high percentage of sailors book another cruise within a year.  My agent says that 90% of his bookings have either cruised again or booked again, although the VV stats aren't that high.  Comments from others before I booked--"It's a cruise company for people who don't want to stand in line or be told what to do."  "I feel comfortable in my own skin because no one judges anyone else."  "If you're going to be offended by tats or piercings, it probably isn't the line for you."

THings I really like--the bar tab rather than a drink package.  The bar tab lets you pay $300 in advance of your cruise, and for ever $300 you pay, VV adds a bonus of $50-125 depending on the current special (right now it is $100).  You can use your bar tab for any paid beverages--alcohol, specialty coffee or tea, fresh squeezed juices.  You can share it with anyone you'd like.  If in your cabin, bands can be programmed so you both have access; if not in your cabin, you can buy a drink for them.  There are no refunds on the tab, but on the last night you can buy a round for your new best friends or purchase a bottle of wine to take home if you have extra money left. WHY I like it...I've never seen any ugly, nasty drunks on VV or people trying to max out their beverage package.  The drinks on VV are reasonably priced (cheaper than a lot of other lines) and tips are already included.  If the menu says a glass of wine is $10, you pay $10, not $11.80 like on most other lines (taxes must be added in some port areas).  

VV has lots of small areas that are set up to encourage conversation or quiet--your choice.  There are lots of small seating areas, many quiet (no piped in music)  There is a wide variety of live music, but certainly not all genres are represented....that's a like or dislike depending on your taste.  What you won't hear is 47 renditions of YMCA or Sweet Caroline.  The entertainment is different.  Some I like, some I don't like.  If you want a slimmed down Broadway type show, this is not the line for you.  

The crew are the happiest I've seen on any line.  They are given a lot of perks that they wouldn't get on other lines, and seem like they want to be where they are.  I'm told that early on there were some training issues, particularly involving service in The Galley, but that seems to be largely resolved.

I like the  almost all inclusive concept.  We are light drinkers, so the bar tab is better for us than any beverage package on other lines.  The "inclusives" on VV are what I'd pay extra for on other lines--soda, water, wifi, gratuities, and all dining (eat where you want, all restaurants are included).  Fitness classes and access to workout equipment is also included, as are things like use of a karaoke room, vintage arcade games, etc.  Almost all food means just that.  Some restaurants have one or two upgrade items for a cost, but there are plenty of other things on the menu--no need to order an upgrade unless you want that item.  For example, at The Wake steak/seafood place, there is one upgrade steak but there are 4 or 5 included steaks.  All snack type items are included--ice cream, etc.  All food outlets on the ship are included with the exception of those few "treat yourself" items.  

Basically, you'll pay extra for spa, shopping, shore excursions, and alcohol/specialty beverages.  You could literally cruise and not pay a penny over the booking fare if you made that choice.  

My opinion....Food is better than any other line we've cruised.  Entertainment is different, not "beige" like some lines.  It is my "new favorite" line.  True confessions, I have 3 cruises booked right now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't know when you are planning to cruise, but there is a great deal currently--50% off second person in a cabin or no single supplement for solo cruisers.  No, I don't work for VV and I'm not a TA.  There is always some sort of "deal," but this is one of the best I've seen.  

• Like 1

Thanks kindly @rebeccac for sharing those episodes. 

@Shep_Proudfoot it's funny that you mention Celebrity as your cruise line of choice, because that's exactly the vibe I felt all week on Scarlet Lady and it was completely unexpected. Based on all the vlogs we watched before cruising, I expected a non-stop party ship where those of us 56 and over would feel like the odd man out. It was the complete opposite. An absolutely lovely mega-yacht where we were welcomed with open arms by the crew with guests I would estimate to be an average of 55 in a very relaxed, chill vibe. We saw folks easily in their 80's and 90's onboard. That's actually the focus of my review rebeccac posted above, all the things about VV the other vlogs DIDN'T tell us. 🙂 Age doesn't matter on VV, being young at heart does. 🙂 

If you want to party all night, The Manor has you covered. If you want to sit back and listen to a singer or small trio, On The Rocks has you covered. Want to just chill and have a quiet evening? You have your choices of The Dock, Sip Champagne Lounge, The Dock House, The Loose Cannon and more. Want a really fun show, check out the Diva drag show. And in the Red Room you'll have experimental dance, Duel Reality and more. I really appreciated the old school arcade with all the games from my '80's high school days. 

The big thing about the ship is that's quite intimate. No major grand three story spaces like an atrium. Instead most of the decks are single story making the ship feel much smaller than it really is. And there is seating literally everywhere encouraging socialization and mingling. I also love the big patios on either side of Deck 7 midships along with the amazing Dock on the aft. 

Pools are too small and too few and the net on the aft is a complete waste other than an Instagram photo. BUT the main pool is quite lovely if you get out there before 10:30am on a sea day or pretty much all morning on a port day, which is what we did when the ship went to Puerta Plata, we made it a ship day. The Bimini Beach Resort is now one of my favorite cruise line private resort. The sand is soft, the water is lovely and the drinks were great. 

The food totally lives up to the hype, you can see for yourself in that food tour rebeccac posted in the previous post. I recently did another episode about how good is cruise food and in our Top 7 Meals at Sea so far, VV tied for second with three of their venues. The one thing to know about the restaurants on VV is that they are not quick affairs to get you out and turn the tables around. Expect 90 minutes to 2 hours plus at the restaurants except for Pink Agave. Be mindful of that if you have to get to a show after dinner. We had to rush our Extra Virgin meal into 70 minutes because we were coming from a Secret Show and had reservations for Duel Reality. They turned the meal from 4 courses to 3 so we could make the show. Highly recommend you take advantage of brunch at The Wake and Razzle Dazzle. For our final dinner onboard, one of our friends still had a lot of Sailor Loot left so he went for the Tomahawk Steak which I believe was an extra $65 at the time. It was stonkin' ridiculous and the way it was presented at the table was lovely. You can see that in my food review, but we didn't pay a dime for any of the food all week and it was amazing. 

There's also a tour of our Cheeky Corner Suite on the channel. But I will say VV is one cruise line you absolutely do NOT need to book a suite to get the 'full pampered experience.' So much is included for everyone that the perks of the suite are not as valuable as other cruise lines, like Celebrity. No suite only restaurant, no suite only lounge other than Richard's Rooftop which is lightly used, no included WiFi after a certain level everybody gets free WiFi. 

So if you're a fan of Celebrity, we've sailed Celebrity 4 times and love it, I think you'll find a lot to love about Virgin Voyages. Happy to answer any other questions you may have comparing specific aspects of Celebrity to VV. 

Edited by WheresWalter
added ages
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The crew are the happiest I've seen on any line.  They are given a lot of perks that they wouldn't get on other lines, and seem like they want to be where they are.  I'm told that early on there were some training issues, particularly involving service in The Galley, but that seems to be largely resolved.

That's an excellent point about the crew being happy. We noticed that and talked to the crew about that all week. Seems that not only are VV crew among the highest paid in the industry, they're also among the only crew who get free WiFi. I'm honestly astounded other cruise lines make their crew pay upwards of $100+ per month for WiFi. I hear on Celebrity the crew have to buy it by the hour and once that hour starts, it's use it or lose it. They can't even spread that hour out like we can as guests. 

We had issues in The Galley in July as well when the ship was in Puerto Plata and it seemed the entire ship was there for breakfast. Could not flag anyone down to take our order and eventually the chef at Let's Taco About It noticed the situation and came over personally to take our order. That got a server's attention. VV needs to add The Galley ordering to the app or add touchpads like NCL has done in Food Republic and now their Indulge Food Hall on Prima. When we ate at Food Republic on the NCL Escape it was so easy, sit down, place the order on the touchpad and be served the food. VV could easily add that to the app and that would solve a lot of issues trying to place an order in The Galley. 

• Like 2

Yes, crew gets free wifi.  And while it may sound silly, they also get free toiletries,  and laundry products. They can eat FREE in guest areas provided their schedules allow and space is available.  There is only one crew mess, not a crew and a separate officer's mess, which leads to a lot better interaction (according to one crew member). It seems that it is a lot of little things, but the one they always mention is the wifi.

• Like 4

@rebeccac Thanks for posting, this is perfectly helpful!

@WheresWalter Thanks for the video

content and additional detail. This looks intriguing and like something I’d be able to find things to do and like-that deck 7 looks fantastic, like I designed it myself! While I actually do love giant atriums designed to impress, that is about the only (small) negative I saw. Well maybe the interior looked a little too Ikea for this traditionalist.

But, the lack of classes is great, the food is handled just how I would like (not a fan of MDRs) and the outside of the ship is beautiful! The retro arcade (also from my high school days) is something I could see stopping by a few times as well. I liked how the music was described as real and diverse, that alone is huge. Once I heard you say the vibe was like Celebrity I definitely knew it was at least worth a try.

Edited by Shep_Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Another vote that the food quality and service is most similar to Celebrity of the lines we've cruised.  While it sounds strange, there are a lot of similarities with Disney during DCL's best years.  Unfortunately, we've seen a lot of ups and downs on that line.

13 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Another vote that the food quality and service is most similar to Celebrity of the lines we've cruised.  While it sounds strange, there are a lot of similarities with Disney during DCL's best years.  Unfortunately, we've seen a lot of ups and downs on that line.

It's not as strange as you would think - the CEO of Virgin Voyages is the same guy that started Disney Cruise Line!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shep_Proudfoot said:

@rebeccac Thanks for posting, this is perfectly helpful!

@WheresWalter Thanks for the video

content and additional detail. This looks intriguing and like something I’d be able to find things to do and like-that deck 7 looks fantastic, like I designed it myself! While I actually do love giant atriums designed to impress, that is about the only (small) negative I saw. Well maybe the interior looked a little too Ikea for this traditionalist.

But, the lack of classes is great, the food is handled just how I would like (not a fan of MDRs) and the outside of the ship is beautiful! The retro arcade (also from my high school days) is something I could see stopping by a few times as well. I liked how the music was described as real and diverse, that alone is huge. Once I heard you say the vibe was like Celebrity I definitely knew it was at least worth a try.

I'm glad the information has been helpful. We really thought we'd be "one and done" with VV but after actually experiencing the ship, I've been looking at 8 night itineraries on Valiant Lady when she's in the US for the winter season. 

I agree with @cantgetin with the comparison to Disney which is fitting because the CEO is a former DCL exec. The attention to detail, taking care of the 'little things' so we don't get nickeled and dimed while onboard is refreshing. Also, they mentioned how the crew can eat in the same restaurants as the guests, which is awesome. But apparently you can also invite crew members to join you at the dinner table or in the Galley which I think is super cool. VV really encourages guests to get to know the crew and vice versa. I really felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of friends onboard. Because they know the gratuities are already included, they're not trying 'too hard' to get tips from everyone.

@Shep_Proudfoot I sincerely hope you do give VV a try and I look forward to hearing about your experience if you do! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Be mindful of that if you have to get to a show after dinner. We had to rush our Extra Virgin meal into 70 minutes because we were coming from a Secret Show and had reservations for Duel Reality. They turned the meal from 4 courses to 3 so we could make the show

We were definitely in this scenario a few times!  Communication with the crew is key here, and they'll rejigger your courses or expedite things to the best of our ability to get you out on time.  I've seen people complaining that courses take too long or they have to wait for a waiter to come for them to order dessert.  While that's definitely not okay, I'm willing to bet most of these guests never bothered to flag anyone down or ask about their missing food.  Again - communication!  It seems that the dining crew is trained to not constantly come to your table to check on you -- I appreciate being able to enjoy my meal without being asked if I need anything 5x during my main course, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have the servers check in a couple times throughout the full meal. 

The only time we ended up almost having an issue with was Gunbae the first time, and we just skipped dessert.  We probably would have been out with a few minutes to spare, but our table conversation got super uncomfortable (when strangers bring politics into dinner conversation!), so that was our main motivating factor for skedaddling early.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cantgetin said:

There is only one crew mess, not a crew and a separate officer's mess, which leads to a lot better interaction (according to one crew member)

also no stripes anywhere onboard, so it really feels like one team vs. a stodgy hierarchy.  all crew wears nametags, so when people said hi and asked if we needed anything, i'd always look to see who they were/what they did.  obviously the happenings cast floats around a lot, but you'd see people from IT, event operations, etc. EVERYONE was so helpful and friendly! 

treating crew right makes them a happy crew, which creates happy guests, which ultimately translates into higher revenue -- whether it be extra onboard spend or booking future voyages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

The only time we ended up almost having an issue with was Gunbae the first time, and we just skipped dessert.  We probably would have been out with a few minutes to spare, but our table conversation got super uncomfortable (when strangers bring politics into dinner conversation!), so that was our main motivating factor for skedaddling early.

WHY?!?!? NEVER talk politics on a cruise ship or any other place where you're having dinner with new people. The number one way to make the entire conversation uncomfortable is to start talking politics. I have absolutely no problem getting up and leaving the table and asking for a new table if that were to happen. At least you could just skip dessert and get through it. 

And yes, tell the servers as soon as you arrive if you are in a time crunch and they will accomodate you. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

WHY?!?!? NEVER talk politics on a cruise ship or any other place where you're having dinner with new people. The number one way to make the entire conversation uncomfortable is to start talking politics.

Hahah exactly!!!! We had a bit of a generational divide too and didn’t want to come off as “impolite millennials,” but sheesh it was uncomfortable.

Yeah, not sure I like the idea of sharing dinner with 4 new friends.  In Japan and Korea, Korean BBQ is served at tables based on your party size; we had a table for 4 with only the 2 of us at one place and a table for 2 in Tokyo.  The other thing is that we want to try Waygu beef, which is the "treat yourself" at Gumbae....maybe I'm cheap, but I don't like the idea of paying for it to share with the table, but not sure how to make it for "just us." That's especially a problem as we want to have the server cook it so that it is done correctly.

Edited by cantgetin

8 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I'm glad the information has been helpful. We really thought we'd be "one and done" with VV but after actually experiencing the ship, I've been looking at 8 night itineraries on Valiant Lady when she's in the US for the winter season. 

I agree with @cantgetin with the comparison to Disney which is fitting because the CEO is a former DCL exec. The attention to detail, taking care of the 'little things' so we don't get nickeled and dimed while onboard is refreshing. Also, they mentioned how the crew can eat in the same restaurants as the guests, which is awesome. But apparently you can also invite crew members to join you at the dinner table or in the Galley which I think is super cool. VV really encourages guests to get to know the crew and vice versa. I really felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of friends onboard. Because they know the gratuities are already included, they're not trying 'too hard' to get tips from everyone.

@Shep_Proudfoot I sincerely hope you do give VV a try and I look forward to hearing about your experience if you do! 

We are 60 and just booked a 8 nighter on Valiant Lady in January.  From what I've seen from reviews and a few friends who sailed the other week on Scarlet we decided we wanted to try this new line.  I'm not a big soda drinker but that is a nice difference that I don't have to pay for one and free Wifi,  wow...I think this will push other lines to make some changes.  Great to hear about the nicer amenities for the crew, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I haven't been on a cruise since my first (and last) in '99 because of this very issue (staff happiness). I much prefer to sail with staff who are adequately compensated and taken care of by their employer. 

9 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Yeah, not sure I like the idea of sharing dinner with 4 new friends.  In Japan and Korea, Korean BBQ is served at tables based on your party size; we had a table for 4 with only the 2 of us at one place and a table for 2 in Tokyo.  The other thing is that we want to try Waygu beef, which is the "treat yourself" at Gumbae....maybe I'm cheap, but I don't like the idea of paying for it to share with the table, but not sure how to make it for "just us." That's especially a problem as we want to have the server cook it so that it is done correctly.

Your server will make sure that upcharge items only go to you unless you specifically ask to share them with the table.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarramar said:

IMHO it is overrated. I wouldn't bother paying extra.

Agree - i haven't gotten it, but someone at my table the first time did.  he didn't look thrilled as he was eating it (especially for $45 extra!).  it's unseasoned, and the included seasoned short rib is already more than sufficient.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, surfone said:

Thanks to all three of you above for the comments on the beef.  That is really helpful.

As to staff compensation, one young woman commented that she makes three times as much on Virgin as she did in her previous job.  She has worked 2 other cruise lines, at least on of which was a tipped position.  She also said that she'd never work any other line than Virgin, but then laughed with something like a "never say never" comment. She basically gave her list of reasons why VV is the best line for crew that she's ever experienced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Thanks to all three of you above for the comments on the beef.  That is really helpful.

As to staff compensation, one young woman commented that she makes three times as much on Virgin as she did in her previous job.  She has worked 2 other cruise lines, at least on of which was a tipped position.  She also said that she'd never work any other line than Virgin, but then laughed with something like a "never say never" comment. She basically gave her list of reasons why VV is the best line for crew that she's ever experienced.

On the beef issue (where's the beef? 😂) I would agree that upgrading to Waygu in Gunbae is probably not worth it. But one our party did the Tomahawk steak in The Wake for our final dinner because he had a bit of Sailor Loot to use up. Now THAT was really good and the presentation at the table was awesome. Totally not necessary to do any upcharges anywhere on the ship, we didn't, but since he had the Sailor Loot left he decided to treat himself. I used my extra Sailor Loot to purchase some bourbon and tequila from the Booty Store. 🙂

• Like 2