Would I like Virgin Voyages?

Shep_Proudfoot

On 10/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, Flafun888 said:

Don't mean to take this thread on an unrelated tangent, but I genuinely don't understand why all the major cruiselines refuse to offer even 1 decent venue option for those of us who like contemporary country - music from Chesney, FL/GA line, Luke Combs, Kane Brown, Chris Stapleton, etc.

VV has a pretty good set of "guest" acts on board which might float your boat a bit. Madison Grace is a pop country singer, also does some covers, but generally did an couple hours or more set each night on the one cruise we were on. Slam Allen is also a regular which is a southern blues with and a whole lot of soul going on. Now, if you want to try something really out the usually but something most people get into, there is a acoustic guitar performer who does "looping" called Daniel Park.

In short, I think there is something for everyone music wise on VV, and THATS why people go back 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFRiA said:

Is the music constant around the pool? We do like some quiet time too to read.

It’s a bit quieter by the wellbeing jacuzzi pool. 
Generally the DJ is on by the main pool in two or three hours blocks, 12-2 or 2-5pm or similar. It’s listed in the event line up as DJ on deck. 

13 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Just be aware that there is very little shade by the pool.  Great if you want to sun yourself, not so great for people like me who burn even when wearing SPF 30.  

A more detailed response. There are areas on the pool deck that are totally shaded BUT they are not loungers; instead they are like little triangular lounging booths.  

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

A more detailed response. There are areas on the pool deck that are totally shaded BUT they are not loungers; instead they are like little triangular lounging booths.  

Of course, people always forget about "The Perch" which is a great hidden spot at the very top of the ship with some shade, loungers and no loud music. Just check they are not running a yoga class as that when the close that area off. 

• Like 1

Another Celebrity used to be here...just booked not one but two VV cruises - talk about jumping in with both feet.

I have a question about dress code, not lamenting the good old days, but want a realistic picture of what VV is like at night.  As an extreme question, to get an idea...can you wear shorts to dinner?  (men and women).  The VV website says "you can wear "anything", we want you to be comfortable, blah blah, as long as it's not a thong and pasties" (or something to that effect) - so, can you wear shorts to dinner or do people dress up at night?

• Like 1

Yes. Yes you can wear shorts to dinner, and yes some people dress up. It's really up to the individual! I saw people show up to the appetizer event in Extra Virgin in swimwear (this event happens about an hour before they open for dinner but still...)!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, warmwinds said:

I have a question about dress code, not lamenting the good old days, but want a realistic picture of what VV is like at night.  As an extreme question, to get an idea...can you wear shorts to dinner?  (men and women).  The VV website says "you can wear "anything", we want you to be comfortable, blah blah, as long as it's not a thong and pasties" (or something to that effect) - so, can you wear shorts to dinner or do people dress up at night?

Yes, people wear shorts to dinner, although I (female) usually wore long black pants and a top slightly better than a t-shirt, there were nights that I wore a t-shirt.  I did not wear the dress up clothes that I brought on board.  I took the approach that comfort was better than dressy.....although in fairness, I do think a swimsuit is a bit pushing the envelope!  And if you read any nonsense about what you have to wear in certain restaurants, ignore it.  True, some restaurants have a more upscale atmosphere than others,  but you can wear shorts and a tshirt to any restaurant on the ship.

As to your first comment....we booked a single 14 night cruise.  By the time I got off the ship, I had 3 more sailings booked.

• Like 2

I wear slacks and a button up shirt to dinner. The night we had reservations at Extra Virgin my tattoo appointment ran a little late. After around 2hrs on the table getting my tattoo, I was starving and pushing the grace limit of the reservation. We shrugged it off that we were T-shirts, cargo shorts, and sandals, and headed to dinner. Nobody seemed to care, we weren’t the only ones in shorts and T-shirts. It’s extremely casual like cantgetin said, plan for comfort. 

3 hours ago, warmwinds said:

Thank you all so much, what great info.

And those food pictures look great!  Which restaurant was that?

Extra Virgin. Shrimp and Grits, NY Strip steak, asparagus, potatoes, lamb chops, Apple Tatin, Meyer Lemon cheesecake 

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Extra Virgin. Shrimp and Grits, NY Strip steak, asparagus, potatoes, lamb chops, Apple Tatin, Meyer Lemon cheesecake 

Are you sure?  I thought EV was the Italian restaurant - I thought I saw those dishes on The Wake's menu, but I'm probably wrong since I've never been.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:25 AM, chisoxfan said:

... Not intending to get into a 'water war' but many of us drink bottled water routinely (even when we have 'safe' tap water at home)and when I am on vacation don't expect to change this preference/habit at the whim of a cruiseline. From an environmental standpoint glass would be a substitute that I would pay for (just in London and all the water at our hotel was served in wonderful glass bottles)....

The water on board is excellent. Your cabin attendants will provide fresh water daily, or more frequently if you'd like, and you can have either still or sparkling or both. Provided in glass carafes which you can put in the fridge if you'd prefer cold. Bring your own water bottle and refill on board.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 5:41 PM, Shep_Proudfoot said:

... Valiant Lady - France and Spain late this summer...

Congratulations!  For UK residents there are also a bunch of 4-day voyages (which might be folks joining mid voyage or leaving early, not sure) if you want to take advantage of those.

Also, for a foodie, they just announced November 2023 will also be a special month with select menus and pairings. I did that last November, it was fantastic.

2 hours ago, warmwinds said:

Are you sure?  I thought EV was the Italian restaurant - I thought I saw those dishes on The Wake's menu, but I'm probably wrong since I've never been.

You're absolutely right, sorry I misspoke. The Wake. Tonight is Extra Virgin. 

Edited by kwokpot

On 9/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, JCruise85 said:

We went in February and have a second (longer) cruise booked for next year.

It's my favorite line.

The food is outstanding.

I could literally eat at Gunbae every night and the Galley always seems to have more than one thing I want (curse having only a single stomach). 

The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and happy.

The scarlet night was rainy and cold so they did everything inside and it was a blast. Lots of games and activities all over the ship.

Is there table for two in the Gunbae that we can request to sit at? Love the Korean BBQ, but don't like the idea of sharing a table on a BBQ  Thanks in advance. 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:01 AM, cantgetin said:

I actually prefer the "bar tab."  The deal is that for every $300 you pay  for the bar tab, you get a bonus os $50-125 depending on the current offer.  Right now, the bonus is $100, so you are basically getting 25% off any drinks you buy.  The advantages are that that you can share your bar tab with anyone,  It is not per person and length of cruise is irrelevant. The price you see on the menu is the amount deducted for the drink--the grats are already included.  So that $10 glass of wine takes $10 off your tab, not $11.80 or $12 as on other lines!  If you end up with extra on your tab on the last night, treat your new best friends or buy a bottle of wine to take home.  What I really like is that I see people drinking more responsibly.  I've never seen an ugly drunk on VV, perhaps because no one is trying to max out their drink package.  The bar tab concept can work for almost anyone and gives you a discount, unlike a "drink package" where you and your cabin mate must drink quite a bit to make it worthwhile.  If you are a light, or even a moderate drinker, many drink packages are not a good value.  NCL just raised their price to $129 pp per day, while most lines charge $80-100 and then add gratuity.  The only kicker is that you need to estimate up front how many "bar tabs" you wish to purchase.

On average, how much is a glass of wine, or average cocktail? Thanks! 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:33 PM, cantgetin said:

If you haven't seen Ship Show, don't bother.  There was nothing positive about either the show or the food.  We left early and had dinner at Razzle Dazzle.

Can you just do "walk-in" and not have a reservation for dinner? 

19 minutes ago, seapad said:

Is there table for two in the Gunbae that we can request to sit at? Love the Korean BBQ, but don't like the idea of sharing a table on a BBQ  Thanks in advance. 

No, all tables are for six or eight and normally seat at least four. You might be able to get a table for two if they aren’t busy but it is unlikely unless you are willing to dine at 9.30pm.

11 minutes ago, seapad said:

Can you just do "walk-in" and not have a reservation for dinner? 

Depends how busy the ship is and which restaurant but it can be possible. Especially at 6pm or after 9pm. But I would recommend getting reservations to start with and only trying for walk up if your plans change. 

17 minutes ago, seapad said:

On average, how much is a glass of wine, or average cocktail? Thanks! 

Spirit and mixer is $7, mixed cocktails $12-16. Glass of wine $6-13 generally. 
some bar menus here

https://profcruise.com/virgin-voyages-bar-menus-and-drink-prices/

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 2