Chair Hogs Alive & Kicking

Shone216

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Do you turn yourself in when you speed?  😄

Who says I speed?  Even if I did, I'd take the ticket, pay it, and not give the cop a hard time.  I'm no one special.  If I brake the law, I'll accept the consequences without making a big deal about it.   Of course, IF I BREAK THE LAW, it would be some minor offense, not a Biggy.  

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You were very accurate that most of us follow rules and laws. I cannot be arrested for violating policy unless the policy has basis in law.  Royal Caribbean can move personal items from the chair according to their policy while on board. They cannot arrest anyone for it. Should they choose not to enforce, it tends to embolden those who wish not to follow it. The type of person who ignores this policy does not think beyond themselves with or without a policy. They think they are more important than their fellow passengers.  I am not going to exhaust myself in an attempt to teach them something they should have learned in kindergarten. Share the classroom toys with others, not keep them all to yourself. 

I would like the policy enforced in a uniform manner but I do not want to get involved in a verbal or physical confrontation. I will not attempt to enforce a policy that the cruise lines themselves do not enforce.

I think I have beaten this dead-horse enough. I do thank everyone for their posts. I have something to ponder during my next cruise as I walk the decks. 😉

Following the cruise rules could have a basis in law.  If you break their rule(s), when you get to port, especially one in the U.S., and you are told to leave the ship and don't come back,  you refuse, or somehow you come back, you can be arrested for trespassing.  It's kinda basic. But, you are right, this horse is exceedingly dead.

Edited by Ret MP

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Following the cruise rules could have a basis in law.  If you break their rule(s), when you get to port, especially one in the U.S., and you are told to leave the ship and don't come back,  you refuse, or somehow you come back, you can be arrested for trespassing.  It's kinda basic. But, you are right, this horse is exceedingly dead.

"Bring out your dead. I am not dead, I feel rather good," Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The poor horse.

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, jean87510 said:

So this is actually worth it?  Give me deck 5 or my balcony.

Screenshot_20220925_210433.jpg

agreed. but i'm assuming these people dont have access to pools at their home location so this is the only time they ever use one. cause otherwise they are nuts!   hows that enjoyable.  plus when you read these threads about hogs it just is stressful and who wants that on vacation. 

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Policy. Royal Caribbean Lines International has a publicized policy. I am always amazed how many policies are created but never enforced. If one does not enforce the policy, it because toothless and useless. The policy should be removed.

Personally, I believe many laws and rules are there not necessarily to be enforced, but to make people feel better because "something is being done."  Some people may assume that because there is a rule, governing chair use, the crew is watching and those saved seats are really getting used at least once every 30 minutes.  It's like when states all jumped on the bandwagon passing "no texting while driving" laws.  We already have a law the prohibits distracted driving, but it's never enforced.  And we all drive around now assuming that the anti-texting laws are helping us somehow.  Yet at least once every 3 miles of driving, I encounter someone texting behind the wheel.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Personally, I believe many laws and rules are there not necessarily to be enforced, but to make people feel better because "something is being done."  Some people may assume that because there is a rule, governing chair use, the crew is watching and those saved seats are really getting used at least once every 30 minutes.  It's like when states all jumped on the bandwagon passing "no texting while driving" laws.  We already have a law the prohibits distracted driving, but it's never enforced.  And we all drive around now assuming that the anti-texting laws are helping us somehow.  Yet at least once every 3 miles of driving, I encounter someone texting behind the wheel.  

For sure!  Laws like the anti texting laws in many/most states only make the people that make them feel good, they can say, "see I did something".  We all know, at least the LEO folks know, that they will never be enforced.  Not as the only infraction, anyway.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

For sure!  Laws like the anti texting laws in many/most states only make the people that make them feel good, they can say, "see I did something".  We all know, at least the LEO folks know, that they will never be enforced.  Not as the only infraction, anyway.  

Yep.  My favorite "stupid law" is the anti-road-rage law that states that you can't drive in the left lane of the freeway for more than 1 mile unless you are actively passing another vehicle.  They passed that here in Alabama 3 or 4 years ago and I don't believe they've written the first citation.  I mean, come on local LEO - that's easy pickin's around here. 

• Like 1

Cunning plan, provide every berth with some blow up chairs.

If you want to sit by the pool you blow up your chair.

Hey Rudeney,

Its always been illegal here to drive in the right lane unless overtaking, nothing to do with road rage and very similar to chair hogs, people thinking they have a right to do whatever they want.

5 hours ago, JeffroK said:

Hey Rudeney,

Its always been illegal here to drive in the right lane unless overtaking, nothing to do with road rage and very similar to chair hogs, people thinking they have a right to do whatever they want.

I believe @rudeney's intent was about passing laws where there are already laws to cover certain action(s).  Like originally stated, there was/is a law already that covers distracted driving (it was made a law long before cellphones/texting), no need for a texting/cellphone law.  Also, I believe you meant to type "LEFT" lane, right.  

The legislatures that made up and passed the cellphone/texting laws just made themselves feel good.  If anything they could have just made the cellphone/texting laws an enhancement to the existing laws.  

32 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No, not in Western Victoria.

LOL, I just glanced or didn't look at all at the OP's Avatar and I read Virginia.  

My bad, disregard that comment.  Sorry!  Bend my dog tags and take away my birthday.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, I just glanced or didn't look at all at the OP's Avatar and I read Virginia.  

My bad, disregard that comment.  Sorry!  Bend my dog tags and take away my birthday.  

You are not getting out of this thread that easy 😁. You keep your dog tags and all twenty-nine birthdays with more to come. Your penance will be perpetually monitoring this thread for more postings. 🤣

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You are not getting out of this thread that easy 😁. You keep your dog tags and all twenty-nine birthdays with more to come. Your penance will be perpetually monitoring this thread for more postings. 🤣

😄 Got it covered.  I'll even clean off my monitor screen from all those cough splatters. 🤮.  I don't wear a mask while at home!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I believe @rudeney's intent was about passing laws where there are already laws to cover certain action(s).  Like originally stated, there was/is a law already that covers distracted driving (it was made a law long before cellphones/texting), no need for a texting/cellphone law.  Also, I believe you meant to type "LEFT" lane, right.  

The legislatures that made up and passed the cellphone/texting laws just made themselves feel good.  If anything they could have just made the cellphone/texting laws an enhancement to the existing laws.  

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.  Our driver's manual does state that you are to keep right except to pass, so people who just cruise along in the left lane were already breaking the rules.  The new "anti-road rage law" was just feel-good politics.  

• Like 1

Wandering on a ship last September (so, yes, about 30% occupancy) and took this picture.  It didn’t cross my mind that these seats were being saved (I don’t think they were) - but that no one had sat down yet (v. those missing towels).

I think I need to see a bag or other personal items for it to register that someone is “using” the lounger.

904FE469-7D69-49A4-A9C3-6D42A39648B0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:47 AM, NotPayinExtra said:

So let's try this again. If your swimming and all your stuff is removed by staff. Do they dump it in the trash? Or do they have a spot you can go to, to collect your personal belongings that were moved? ( An honest question as this is not a problem on Disney ships ).

Chair hogging is best observed at 0700 when no one is in the pool or pool area and the loungers are all "reserved" - the example of putting out towels and going on a shore excursion would be a textbook case.  

• Like 2