Chair Hogs Alive & Kicking

Shone216

Experienced worst chair hog experience on our recent cruise last week. We went to the pool deck at 8.50 after a fairly early breakfast to find every bed had a towel on it. The attendants started removing towels after a while to free up beds. We were eventually lucky enough to get to beds after the towels had been removed, the beds had been reserved before we arrived and towels removed about roughly 10am. A woman appeared 5and a half hours later asking us for her towels!! Did she honestly think we would use her towels anyway we politely told her the pool attendant removed them…..absolutely no shame …glad Royal Carribean are starting to do something about these guests.

• Like 39
  • Haha 6

Gee I am glad I like to move around every hour and try different spots on the ship.

I never understand why one would want to sit in one spot for a whole day unless they had kids, or it was a really great spot.

Sometimes the music at the pool deck is way to loud.

I do notice more and more folks getting chairs out of the sun in shade a lot earlier.

This happened to us on Mariner a week ago. We had just changed clock time heading into Bermuda and I woke up super early and went down to the Solarium.  Every damn chair and bed and seat was claimed with towels. A couple other early risers and I complained and just started turning in towels. It was absolutely absurd, at 7 in the morning!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lady_E said:

This happened to us on Mariner a week ago. We had just changed clock time heading into Bermuda and I woke up super early and went down to the Solarium.  Every damn chair and bed and seat was claimed with towels. A couple other early risers and I complained and just started turning in towels. It was absolutely absurd, at 7 in the morning!

On Explorer this past spring, I got the last chair in the Solarium at 6am.  

Only a handful of people actually in the Solarium at that time, but innumerable towels, flip flops, books, beach bags, etc.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wouldn't it be great if that woman gets charged $25 per towel😁  maybe then she will stop and think before thinking she could leave her towel for 5+ hrs.

I may or may not have been the cause of a few hundred dollars in towel charges on some chair hog accounts by snatching them and using them myself after a couple hours in an empty chair. 

I personally would never stoop to such a thing..."friends" have told me all about it though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Lady_E said:

Nice!

We did one cruise where every morning an older woman would come around and collect every towel left on an unoccupied chair. She’d do the whole boat every morning. Not all heroes wear capes.

Edited by trajan
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 14

Same for us last week. As we were walking around with a bewildered look on our faces, a young lady came up and said that they were just using a set of lounge chairs to "hold their stuff" and that we could use them, that they would just put their stuff on a single chair, instead of two beside each other. 

• Like 2

Earlier this year, some fellow was afraid somebody would steal his chairs, so he threaded a cable, like the one you would use to secure a bicycle, through several chairs and around the railing.  There was a picture here on CC. I understand security saw it, and cut the cable, freeing the chairs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Ok, legit question here. (Don't slam me). I'm someone who puts my stuff on a chair and then spend hours at a time in the water. If your actually in the water, you are using the chair because you are present at that time. Also over 50 so go to bathroom a lot. Do people and crew removing towels look to see if anyone is in pool or hot tub first? Also, what happens to shoes, bags, and room cards? (The stuff I leave on my seat). Just concerned about not having to have a seat in view of pool. 

Oh I should add I'm a spend all day at the pool person. Inside cabin so when I'm on deck and out in fresh air I'm all day.

Edited by NotPayinExtra

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

*than
*else's

7 hours ago, mianmike said:

Doh!  I didn't even notice. lol  If I had the computer skills I'd fix it or make a new one.  

I wouldn’t worry about the spelling errors. They won’t be noticed because if the chair hogs could read they wouldn’t be hogging them in the first place. 😉😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Ok, legit question here. (Don't slam me). I'm someone who puts my stuff on a chair and then spend hours at a time in the water. If your actually in the water, you are using the chair because you are present at that time. Also over 50 so go to bathroom a lot. Do people and crew removing towels look to see if anyone is in pool or hot tub first? Also, what happens to shoes, bags, and room cards? (The stuff I leave on my seat). Just concerned about not having to have a seat in view of pool. 

Oh I should add I'm a spend all day at the pool person. Inside cabin so when I'm on deck and out in fresh air I'm all day.

Well I would say if you are in the pool for hours, permanently, you can put your stuff on a bench next to the pool. Chairs are for people not for stuff. Common sense, a "less than hours" dip in the pool, bathroom visits or even a on the go snack from pool deck outlets is no chair hogging...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shone216 said:

Experienced worst chair hog experience on our recent cruise last week. We went to the pool deck at 8.50 after a fairly early breakfast to find every bed had a towel on it. The attendants started removing towels after a while to free up beds. We were eventually lucky enough to get to beds after the towels had been removed, the beds had been reserved before we arrived and towels removed about roughly 10am. A woman appeared 5and a half hours later asking us for her towels!! Did she honestly think we would use her towels anyway we politely told her the pool attendant removed them…..absolutely no shame …glad Royal Carribean are starting to do something about these guests.

9 am to the pool and wanting a front row seat....well lets say get up a little early go get chairs and advise life guards your going to breakfast and try and get back before a hour has passed....have a great day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Earlier this year, some fellow was afraid somebody would steal his chairs, so he threaded a cable, like the one you would use to secure a bicycle, through several chairs and around the railing.  There was a picture here on CC. I understand security saw it, and cut the cable, freeing the chairs.  

I remember seeing photos of that on CC.  Vaguely remember the guy being very upset when he returned hours later and security speaking with him 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Why is everyone here so hostile all the time? It's not a safe place to ask a question. Ever.

This is an ongoing issue on cruise ships. Please just take an deep breath and not take it personally. Yes, I know that is a hard request. As someone who has witnessed this behavior, it is another simmering problem of society. Treat others as you would like yourself treated. If you are using and enjoying the chair, fantastic! Should one save a chair for the possibility of usage? It is your vacation, it is everyone's vacation, we are sharing the ship together for a wonderful experience and memory.

Times are stressful in this world. We go on vacation to relieve that stress. The appearance of a vacate chair for more than one hour just seems difficult. I love to swim. I have been in the water for more than 48 hours compliments of the military. I can tell people who swim, visit their chair within the thirty minute period and swim again. That is great! Enjoy! When I see a chair not used for over three hours, it tends to violate the treat others as you would want to be treated mentality.

No judgement, just an observation and my personal opinion.

Good cruising to you. I have met so many great people on ships. You are probably one of them. Maybe just contemplate how people who do not use chairs for over sixty minutes affect a fully booked cruise.

Regards, Engine Room Snipe.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

So let's try this again. If your swimming and all your stuff is removed by staff. Do they dump it in the trash? Or do they have a spot you can go to, to collect your personal belongings that were moved? ( An honest question as this is not a problem on Disney ships ).

If staff removes your personal property it will be taken to one of the towel check stations. 

• Thanks 1