Currently on Ventura-Masks Again!

Mad4WDW

17 minutes ago, picsa said:

I was pointing out that it would be utterly impossible for P&O to introduce mandatory mask wearing with no exemptions mid-cruise because there are likely people on board who cannot for health reasons wear masks.

So presumably these folks would have declared their health issue on their mandatory insurance policy. In which case it would be easy to show to P&O medical staff on board.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

We had a letter from the ship detailing our date of testing positive (as determined by the ship's medics) and time in quarantine.  It specifically stated that we may need it for insurance purposes.

Thank you. That would be sufficient for Staysure.

5 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Can I just ask if you caught covid in the days before a cruise what proof would you give your insurance company then? Presume they wouldn't just take your word for it

Just checked that testing centres in our area are still doing certified testing and I could theoretically get an appointment today or tomorrow.  It costs around £30 but if i tested +ve in the days before a cruise i might be tempted to get an externally verified test as proof - it would perhaps be worth it to be be more certain of an insurance pay out. 

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Just checked that testing centres in our area are still doing certified testing and I could theoretically get an appointment today or tomorrow.  It costs around £30 but if i tested +ve in the days before a cruise i might be tempted to get an externally verified test as proof - it would perhaps be worth it to be be more certain of an insurance pay out. 

Thank you. I just googled Allianz cover. It says you would need to get a doctors certificate (presume gp) but like you say if it happened it would be worth getting a verified test. 

14 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Can I just ask if you caught covid in the days before a cruise what proof would you give your insurance company then? Presume they wouldn't just take your word for it

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I thought that if you suspected you had covid you could not attend these centres. They were only to provide “fit to fly” certificates. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

You can get certified testing but if you go to book all companies state if you have symptoms they will not book a test for you.  These are apparently tests for fit to fly certificates.   I tried to use one of these for proof I had covid at the end of March to ensure I had it recorded on my medical records and was refused a test.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Thank you. I just googled Allianz cover. It says you would need to get a doctors certificate (presume gp)

Yes my Allianz policy says this. But again I thought a GP would not see you if you had covid, so do they take your word for it and issue a medical certificate. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You can get certified testing but if you go to book all companies state if you have symptoms they will not book a test for you.  These are apparently tests for fit to fly certificates.   I tried to use one of these for proof I had covid at the end of March to ensure I had it recorded on my medical records and was refused a test.

Oh gosh. So how did you prove it Megabear?

8 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Oh gosh. So how did you prove it Megabear?

I was one of the unfortunates who stayed positive for close on three weeks.  I became very unwell and at the point I was coughing blood was sent to a so called "hot clinic" where a PCR test was carried out.  Astonishingly at 16 days it was still positive so my records recorded it and the cruise company accepted it.  Interestingly my Aurora cruise was cancelled at the same time early in my illness and they automatically cancelled on the health declaration and the FCC appeared in 48 hours.

Obviously the PCR result being a freak made my life easier as Celebrity had just stopped their FCC regime at the point I was ill.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I was one of the unfortunates who stayed positive for close on three weeks.  I became very unwell and at the point I was coughing blood was sent to a so called "hot clinic" where a PCR test was carried out.  Astonishingly at 16 days it was still positive so my records recorded it and the cruise company accepted it.  Interestingly my Aurora cruise was cancelled at the same time early in my illness and they automatically cancelled on the health declaration and the FCC appeared in 48 hours.

Obviously the PCR result being a freak made my life easier as Celebrity had just stopped their FCC regime at the point I was ill.  

Also as you had been referred to a clinic I presume you would have been able to get a medical certificate from your GP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Crikey. Just have to hope our gps would provide the certificate then if it happens. Thanks

Just now, picsa said:

But a close contact might have been infected and would be released after testing negative.

It is being suggested that people who for serious medical conditions cannot wear a mask and who are demonstrably not infected with COVID are imprisoned for the duration of the cruise (or for those yet to sail to forfeit what they have paid) - that seems to be rather draconian and to be honest quite an unpleasant view to support. 

There are too many liars and cheats in this world to start taking the moral high ground and worrying about having an unpleasant view as you put it. Some people seem to spend their time thinking of ways to beat measures put in place for the safety of the majority. They think they are hero's until karma strikes.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well that's a fly in the ointment!  Other options?  The home tests through a firm which verifies the result?  For security I'd go to one which does the video'd testing in case the insurers may say someone else did the test.  (Could be a get-out for anyone who decided they didn't want to go for some reason and could find someone positive to do it for them!!!!)

6 minutes ago, picsa said:

But a close contact might have been infected and would be released after testing negative.

It is being suggested that people who for serious medical conditions cannot wear a mask and who are demonstrably not infected with COVID are imprisoned for the duration of the cruise (or for those yet to sail to forfeit what they have paid) - that seems to be rather draconian and to be honest quite an unpleasant view to support. 

I'm not supporting the suggestion I'm merely stating the facts that the cruise lines are being draconian in following rules they are making up on the hoof.  Their rules have stated categorically through the mask regime no exemptions.  I saw a lady with a visor barred from her cruise earlier late last year because it didn't meet the rules set by P&O.  She was very tearful but eventually accepted she would need to wear her mask.  We did see her about the ship and she was masked. Whether she was happy or uncomfortable I have no idea.

Hi,

I boarded Azura in Malta on 15th September for 1 week and had a lonely 6days until I tested positive yhe day before flying home. We had to isolate onboard as apparently hotels were full. We were well looked after with a balcony cabin  and cruised around Croatia, (I would rather have been at home) and were then tested day 6 still positive. We had to disembark in Malta  which was day 7 to a hotel and were told by P&O staff we would be tested again and as soon as negative can go home. We were also told there would be people at the hotel we could talk to and sort things out what they don't say is they are actually at the end of the phone or email  in the UK. Malta  rules are 10 days isolation and no testing after day 6/7 regardless and even when I have served my time of 10 days on Saturday I am still not allowed out of my room until my flight on Monday!! 

I know P&O have looked after us and are making sure we get home safely but the communication really needs to improve. They keep saying that getting us home is there main priority so test us every day and get us out of here I have found plenty of cheap flights on line to get us home just do it!!

Oh well will have to stick it out for a few more days I suppose there could be worse places to be.

5 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There are too many liars and cheats in this world to start taking the moral high ground and worrying about having an unpleasant view as you put it. Some people seem to spend their time thinking of ways to beat measures put in place for the safety of the majority. They think they are hero's until karma strikes.

So those with serious medical conditions should be imprisoned because of the potential for some to not tell the truth - what a lovely attitude.

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm not supporting the suggestion I'm merely stating the facts that the cruise lines are being draconian in following rules they are making up on the hoof.  Their rules have stated categorically through the mask regime no exemptions.  I saw a lady with a visor barred from her cruise earlier late last year because it didn't meet the rules set by P&O.  She was very tearful but eventually accepted she would need to wear her mask.  We did see her about the ship and she was masked. Whether she was happy or uncomfortable I have no idea.

But those rules were set out when booking so people had a choice.

The imprisonment regime that you are suggesting is imposed mid-cruise was not.

6 minutes ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

I boarded Azura in Malta on 15th September for 1 week and had a lonely 6days until I tested positive yhe day before flying home. We had to isolate onboard as apparently hotels were full. We were well looked after with a balcony cabin  and cruised around Croatia, (I would rather have been at home) and were then tested day 6 still positive. We had to disembark in Malta  which was day 7 to a hotel and were told by P&O staff we would be tested again and as soon as negative can go home. We were also told there would be people at the hotel we could talk to and sort things out what they don't say is they are actually at the end of the phone or email  in the UK. Malta  rules are 10 days isolation and no testing after day 6/7 regardless and even when I have served my time of 10 days on Saturday I am still not allowed out of my room until my flight on Monday!! 

I know P&O have looked after us and are making sure we get home safely but the communication really needs to improve. They keep saying that getting us home is there main priority so test us every day and get us out of here I have found plenty of cheap flights on line to get us home just do it!!

Oh well will have to stick it out for a few more days I suppose there could be worse places to be.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you get home soon.

Unfortunately your experience is not unique I know of a great number of people this is happening to, not just on P&O.

I'm glad they are looking after you well. Assumedly your insurer will now be treating you under the medical section of your policy rather than the confinement section.  Not much comfort I know but at least if you are ashore with a positive test in hotel quarantine it should make your claim far easier.  May I ask how many days did you quarantine on the ship before disembarkation?

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you get home soon.

Unfortunately your experience is not unique I know of a great number of people this is happening to, not just on P&O.

I'm glad they are looking after you well. Assumedly your insurer will now be treating you under the medical section of your policy rather than the confinement section.  Not much comfort I know but at least if you are ashore with a positive test in hotel quarantine it should make your claim far easier.  May I ask how many days did you quarantine on the ship before disembarkation?

I spent 8 days isolated on the ship.

2 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I don't much care for your attitude either. 

But I am not the one advocating imprisoning those with serious health conditions.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm certainly not advocating "imprisonment", that suggestion was from another poster, and yes I put a like beside it but this was for irony.

You seemed to advocate "quarantine" for those unable to wear masks for health reasons. If you don't and agree that they are exempt from wearing them if a mask requirement is introduced mid-cruise then I apologise.

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As I said earlier I find this whole argument ridiculous as you are one of the biggest supporters of people who are worried about catching covid cancelling their bookings or not travelling.  

Not sure where you get that mistaken idea from. If people want to travel then they travel, and everyone needs to make their own assessment for their own circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

None of these arguments and ideas are helping to the poor lady who raised the masking issue after her husband booked for 8 October not knowing the mask mandate was back on Ventura.  Perhaps instead of causing her more alarm we could actually try offering her support and reassurance?

I was offering support and reassurance pointing out that if she had a serious health issue that prevented her wearing a mask (as she indicated) that she would likely be exempt from wearing one.

And it was that point that some people suggested that people like her with serious health issues should be imprisoned onboard - so perhaps those are the people that you should be calling out and suggesting that they offer her support and reassurance. 

7 minutes ago, florence11 said:

I spent 8 days isolated on the ship.

Oh goodness, so your total quarantine will have been 19 days until you board your flight.  Are you alone or is your travelling companion sharing your room ashore, I know in Italy they split families so hopefully Malta is a little more accommodating, particularly as you are a long way into your illness.

I do wish you better and hope all goes well with you getting home.  I appreciate it's not the main thing on your mind at the moment but perhaps further along you might feel able to give us an update on how your insurer handles your case and what they required from you.

10 minutes ago, picsa said:

I was offering support and reassurance pointing out that if she had a serious health issue that prevented her wearing a mask (as she indicated) that she would likely be exempt from wearing one.

But this has not been P&O's policy before so unlikely to happen. You may be giving her false hope.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

If your health is so bad that you cannot wear a mask, perhaps cruising is not the ideal holiday environment. 

I seem to recall saying that a couple if years ago. If they are exempt from wearing a mask, are they alao exempt from spreading germs around. Just dud our suggested LFT tests. All good. I took a picture and will wear my sticker and flash my picture if I sneeze on board.🤣

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, picsa said:

But I am not the one advocating imprisoning those with serious health conditions.

Everybody has been aware for some time now that mandatory mask wearing can be imposed at any point before or during a cruise. If I was exempt from wearing a mask I would make damn sure I would be able to prove I was exempt. I travel on a cruise on Sunday. There is every possibility that by the time I reach check in that mask wearing on board will be mandatory. If that is the case then I expect non-mask wearers would probably be denied boarding. I don't know what they would say to those who can prove they are exempt, but if they can deny boarding to anyone who has had a cough in the last ten days, then I'm pretty sure they can deny boarding to people exempt from wearing a mask.

It should be made clear to people who are exempt that they must provide suitable evidence of exemption or run the risk of having to quarantine should mandatory mask wearing become necessary mid-cruise.

There are plenty of people who P&O do not accept on board for medical reasons, so just because someone is exempt from wearing a mask should not necessarily mean they are to be allowed to endanger the lives of other passengers during any outbreak of a airborne transmittable virus on board.

• Like 1