Heads up for Paris Summer 2024 - Olympics!

slidergirl

I know many of you plan way in advance for your cruises so I'd put this out there:

The Olympic Summer Games are going to be in Paris and some surrounding areas July 26 - August 11, 2024.  Based on previous experience with Olympics, the airport will be more of mess than usual, hotels are scooped up in big blocks for vendors and groups and the ones left will charge a LOT more than usual.  If you were planning on some sightseeing, you may be detoured by some events on some days.  

It may be a good time to do a cruise that doesn't require Paris...  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As someone who's experienced the Olympics firsthand in my city, keep in mind that it will impact much more than just Paris. Many venues will be miles away, including those that require access to water (rowing, canoeing, sailing) which may be near a port. 

I've had 2 hometown Olympic experiences, and a few World Championships.  yes, things will be all over the place.  I haven't heard of many venue locations yet.  Soccer will take up stadiums all over France most likely.  I assume surfing will be at Biarritz, a well-known surf spot.  Road cycling I bet will include the Paris portion of the Tour route.  

It's just a logistical problem all around.  

Thank you soooooo much for this heads-up!
I'm tentatively planning a trip to Europe - including a river cruise in France - in 2024, so knowing when the Olympics are on will make a difference to the dates I choose. I'll probably go later than I had originally thought, when it's all over and hotel rooms won't be horrendously expensive (if available). I did check on the official site after reading your post - there's a link to the timetable of events although not the venues yet - and it appears the surfing will be in Tahiti - so another destination to possibly avoid at that time!

Thanks again.

K

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just in Paris this past weekend and stayed at the Dreams Hotel Opera Paris. We paid $310/night for 4 nights. We asked how much they are charging for the Olympics and they stated 21 out of 27 rooms are already reserved at $995 per night and the remaining 6 rooms will go for $1299 per night.

It will be mad chaos without a doubt.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, slidergirl said:

I've had 2 hometown Olympic experiences, and a few World Championships.  yes, things will be all over the place.  I haven't heard of many venue locations yet.  Soccer will take up stadiums all over France most likely.  I assume surfing will be at Biarritz, a well-known surf spot.  Road cycling I bet will include the Paris portion of the Tour route.  

It's just a logistical problem all around.  

The Chateau at Versailles will host Equestrian.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...