RCL vs NCL December Price Confusion

cusematt4

Hi all,

We've cruised with NCL and RCL and both seem to offer a pretty comparable experience new ship wise and quality wise.

We are looking to cruise over the holidays or New years from NY which I know is the most expensive.  RCL unfortunately still has the Anthem of the Seas with most of the same entertainment except some potentially different fly on acts with everything almost identical from our two prior cruises on the Anthem.  Even trivia and Name that Tune seem to be the same.

An 8 day cruise on the Anthem vs the Getaway is almost double the price on the Getaway compared to the Anthem for the same category rooms.  Does anyone know why NCL may be charging double?

Does anyone think cruises may come down if they are this insanely priced?  I've been monitoring for the past month and the prices haven't come down with final payment having passed.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We've cruised with NCL and RCL and both seem to offer a pretty comparable experience new ship wise and quality wise.

We are looking to cruise over the holidays or New years from NY which I know is the most expensive.  RCL unfortunately still has the Anthem of the Seas with most of the same entertainment except some potentially different fly on acts with everything almost identical from our two prior cruises on the Anthem.  Even trivia and Name that Tune seem to be the same.

An 8 day cruise on the Anthem vs the Getaway is almost double the price on the Getaway compared to the Anthem for the same category rooms.  Does anyone know why NCL may be charging double?

Does anyone think cruises may come down if they are this insanely priced?  I've been monitoring for the past month and the prices haven't come down with final payment having passed.

Thank you.

Norwegians free drinks, shore excursions snd wifi are not free, just included in their higher prices. 

• Like 4

NCL prices are out of control right now.  I have 4 Cruise Next certificates with them and I am having a hard time finding a NCL sailing worth it.  I see cruises on Azama and Oceana with similar prices to NCL.  I think NCL has jacked up the prices because of the certificates and future cruise credits out there and people feel obligated to spend the cost because their certificates/credits are expiring.  I expect their prices will drop next year.  

Keep in mind though that the NCL prices with Free at Sea may be giving more value than a RCL cruise only fare.  

I can't speak to December pricing, but I just did RCI Liberty OTS instead of a NCL cruise. Here is how the pricing shaked out 

RCI: 800.00 for two people in an inside. 1k total for two people to have the drink package. 200.00 for specialty dining for 2 people, 3 meals total. Shore Excursions: 300.00. Wifi (We didn't buy) but would have been 130.00 for the week for one device, unlimited. Total for all of that= 2,400k

NCL: 2k for two people in an inside, all perks included, price included the gratuities for the perks. Discount on the shore excursions probably would have made the total for two people 200.00. 150 wifi minutes included, unlimited wifi was 100 or so I would imagine. Total for all of that=2k -- Sailaway rate was 800.00, just like RCI

We ended up going with RCI because we could drive to the cruise instead of flying, flights were pretty pricey so we did save a little bit there.

this is just my experience, your mileage may very...but for the most part, NCL just sort of hides the cost for extras in the fare, which I do prefer vs paying for everything individually lol 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Thank you.

Actually that sounds the same from Galveston, I can do harmony for about half the price of ncl prima. Yes I know prima is newer. Solo rate $1100 ish inside balcony, vs a double room on prima inside for $2300 or $1800 for a ncl solo cabin. Ncl includes 2nd pax flies free and pay restaurants and stuff. 

About double .. inclusive vs ala carte. I think this works out better for couples than solo. 

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually that sounds the same from Galveston, I can do harmony for about half the price of ncl prima. Yes I know prima is newer. Solo rate $1100 ish inside balcony, vs a double room on prima inside for $2300 or $1800 for a ncl solo cabin. Ncl includes 2nd pax flies free and pay restaurants and stuff. 

About double .. inclusive vs ala carte. I think this works out better for couples than solo. 

Air on NCL is a joke and even if included or get 1 free I recommend people think twice before using it.

- you have no say in flights

- you will most likely be on a connecting flight departing very late in the day

- if you have 2 cabins you could end up on different flights

- NCL flew people into Montreal when they were sailing from Quebec city (3 hours away by car)

• Thanks 1