Check in online or with the app?

nbsjcruiser

Been almost 3 years since we cruised RCI and our upcoming cruise is only a few weeks away. This morning I see I can check in and its suggested I use the app to check in. While we are Diamond and do have a fair amount of cruising experience on Royal Caribbean, we've been doing mainly Princess cruises lately and their Medallion app is integrated well with the medallion that you use on board instead of a card and it does speed up the check in process but for RCI I'm not so sure. Is there any benefit to using the app on RCI or will checking in online accomplish the same thing?

On my last Royal cruise last month, on line check wasn't available.  So I had to check in using the app.

One advantage of app check in is that it can use your phone's camera to scan your passport and take your security photo.

• Like 1

We were in the same "boat".   I did both.  However, as MPK said, the app is great for scanning your passport. We just got off SOS and the embarkation was a breeze.  No lines at all.  We were literally on the ship with in about 12 minutes. My husband could not believe that was all there was to it. Also, on disembarkation, same thing.  No customs any longer. They do facial recognition and boom, you are off the ship.  Loved the app on the ship also.  If a charge was put on your account, it took a nano second for it to show up on your account.  

Word to the wise, once you hit the ship, find a quiet lounge and book all your shows.  Make sure you finish the booking. It will ask you to "agree" to their rules. I forgot this a couple of times and had to back track and redo the shows.

In my opinion, the app is better, if it works... You can also do the health questionaire right with the check-in in the app, no idea why the same is not possible on the website. Also, the website provides no easy possibility to add the Set Sail Pass to your wallet, as it is only shown as a PDF you can print out. 

Another problem the app seems to have is that it cannot handle different departure ports or split cruises. Wonder is currently doing 4 night cruises out of Barcelona as well as 3 night cruises out of Rome which apparently can be booked as weeklong cruises from Barcelona as well. You still can add the 3 night cruise in the app, but as soon as you try to open it to do the online check-in, it tells you that it cannot find that cruise...

Edited by Brandis