Embarkation day gym

abbeydoo

It's definitely open embarkation day. When I'm wandering around, I'll see a couple people in there. Depending on the layout of the gym, you may get some traffic passing through exploring.

For me, I try to schedule in runs while the ship is in port so there isn't as much movement. Either before I leave for the day or later in the day right before the ship leaves. 

Years ago I tried to use the gym on Magic, before sail away. 

We had gone and looked around and I asked if I could use the equipment now and was told yes.

However, after I went and changed and started using the treadmill...one of the employees came by touring some folks through and got all bent out of shape and rude with me...like how dare Ii ruin the look of the place while they were giving tours...never went back. 

I happily found that I prefer running on the outdoor track...I mean you might as well get the only at sea view while you run.  However, on embarkment day there are people walking every which way until after sail-away, so it's more of an obstacle course that first afternoon. 

• 3 weeks later...

My travel companion hasn't been on a cruise in over 20 year and has a strict workout routine. What equipment is available?

Do they have pull up bar? squat rack, bench, free weights, calf machine, row machine. 

I can't find a list of the equipment anywhere. What are hours for the gym? I hope 24/7. He works out to cope with severe anxiety

6 hours ago, cantw82sail said:

My travel companion hasn't been on a cruise in over 20 year and has a strict workout routine. What equipment is available?

Do they have pull up bar? squat rack, bench, free weights, calf machine, row machine. 

I can't find a list of the equipment anywhere. What are hours for the gym? I hope 24/7. He works out to cope with severe anxiety

The hours are pretty generous but not 24 hours. I think it varies by ship, but they all have treadmills and other aerobic machines. 

They also have an outdoor jogging track that is 24/7, except when closed for high wind and bad weather. 

Some ships also have sky fitness which is outdoor equipment, I think open 24/7 except for weather. 

7 hours ago, cantw82sail said:

Which ship will you be on? Always free weights to at least 50 lbs. Always a rower. Cable machine with pullup bar varies and many a time there's barely enough clearance from the ceiling. Usually not a separate calf machine but always a seated leg press which you can utilize for calf isolations. Usually at least 2 benches. Here's a couple of photos from the gym on the MardiGras. Spirit class ships have a funky layout with multiple levels and a tiny free weight area. Vista class ships have an ok layout. 

original_95268b37-f3fa-423e-99cc-2cfdf87179e7_PXL_20210908_204936495.MP.jpg

PXL_20210904_212457971.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john91498 said:

people actually work out on cruises????

Yup, at the gym every day. I skip the sailaway party and maintain my daily workout routine (except when the close the gym for the spa raffle🙄).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Yup, at the gym every day. I skip the sailaway party and maintain my daily workout routine (except when the close the gym for the spa raffle🙄).

Admire your commitment. When I cruise, I over drink and over eat. Will gain a few pounds, but work it off when I get home.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cantw82sail said:

Tons of ships have gym tour vids on youtube. Or if your exact ship is not on there, a sister ship is.  There's usually a pullup bar that seems to be like 6" below the ceiling.  I typically never see a squat rack or bench for doing bench press.  There are pretty much always a couple of tilt-able benches for doing dumb bells.  There is always 'selectorized' (where you put pin in the weight) machines that hit all the major muscle groups, and there are always a couple of rowers, although sometimes the placement of them is awkward and abnormal, eg, right in front of treadmills, turned 90 degrees relative to treadmills... The layout varies from ship to ship.  The Fantasy class imo may have the best layout.