Tuxedo Rental on Board?

carolina_yankee

Does anybody have feedback on tuxedo rental on board?  We are larger people successfully losing weight, but still need larger sizes.  Because of the ongoing weight loss, buying a tuxedo makes no sense as we would only use it on cruises. We have dark suits and can use them just fine, but if we really want to get into the fun, a tuxedo makes the most sense.

Are they good with sizing, measuring?Are they well stocked?  Separates work for us, not standard sizes. We would have our own shirts, studs, cuff links, etc.

Any tips on cost? It’s a 12 night cruise if that makes a difference. Not sure how many night they would be desired.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Does anybody have feedback on tuxedo rental on board?  We are larger people successfully losing weight, but still need larger sizes.  Because of the ongoing weight loss, buying a tuxedo makes no sense as we would only use it on cruises. We have dark suits and can use them just fine, but if we really want to get into the fun, a tuxedo makes the most sense.

Are they good with sizing, measuring?Are they well stocked?  Separates work for us, not standard sizes. We would have our own shirts, studs, cuff links, etc.

Any tips on cost? It’s a 12 night cruise if that makes a difference. Not sure how many night they would be desired.

Thanks!

On Board but nothing available in cabin about rentals. Call Cunard they are very accommodating 

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On Board but nothing available in cabin about rentals. Call Cunard they are very accommodating 

Thanks, curious about experience and pricing - basic information, before making the call so I know a bit more about what’s available and what I can expect. I realize, most here probably own their own (and I did in my 20s), but  some may have had first-hand experience or through a family member or friend.

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

Thanks, curious about experience and pricing - basic information, before making the call so I know a bit more about what’s available and what I can expect. I realize, most here probably own their own (and I did in my 20s), but  some may have had first-hand experience or through a family member or friend.

We bought cause we expect to cruise

If no one responds to your post, I seem to recall previous discussions on the cost of renting versus buying an inexpensive tux. I'm not suggesting that you buy rather than rent, but the point of the discussions was that renting was about the same price as buying an inexpensive tux. Perhaps you should do a forum search on 'tux' and see what hits you get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

If no one responds to your post, I seem to recall previous discussions on the cost of renting versus buying an inexpensive tux. I'm not suggesting that you buy rather than rent, but the point of the discussions was that renting was about the same price as buying an inexpensive tux. Perhaps you should do a forum search on 'tux' and see what hits you get.

Thanks. A good idea. I did think about buying inexpensive for that reason - problem is I have Champagne tastes! There are plenty of options, though, and it would encourage me to stick with Cunard on future sailings. 🙂 I’ll do a search. I know some are against it, but if the dress code permits dark suits, then we’re fine with that, too, but I do like to dress the part when I can.

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

From checking older posts, if we opt for tux it seems that buying definitely makes the most financial sense. Next in UK has been recommended by many, so I’ll see if there is a comparable online merchant in the US. Will have to figure out the careful packing! 

37 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

I have Champagne tastes

We are lucky to live near several very nice consignment shops. I've picked up a nice Italian tux and a set of vintage tails, both for a song. That might be an option. And there was Century 21 (sadly no longer with us) where you could get every formal accessory that you could possibly want. The closest to Century 21 might be Nordstrom Rack. But the prices aren't nearly as good and the range of goods doesn't compare 

Edited by frankp01

For what it's worth I just purchased a tuxedo jacket and trousers at Jos A Bank for around $300 (plus alterations, which adds a bit). This was a sale price, about $100 off the list price. (I have a tux but was beginning to be concerned that the jacket was no longer comfortable when buttoned, if you catch my drift).
As I understand it the rental price will be based on the number of formal (gala) nights in your itinerary. For 12 nights I expect that you'd have four gala nights. The rental price might not be much below my purchase price.

4 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

From checking older posts, if we opt for tux it seems that buying definitely makes the most financial sense. Next in UK has been recommended by many, so I’ll see if there is a comparable online merchant in the US. Will have to figure out the careful packing! 

M&S here in the UK sell a cheap TUX for £99, soon to be $99, with chest sizes up to 48" and waists of 44" - This is guaranteed to be cheaper than renting on board

https://www.marksandspencer.com/big-and-tall-suit-with-buttonsafe/p/ds1bb652c862d670bd554394d19a1ee9d7

M&S orders can be collected from designated stores which could be useful - At this price when no longer required it's easily donated to a charity shop for re-use.

Edited by rakkor

It definitely seems like purchasing will make the most sense. I like Jos Bank stuff and could look for sales. This is midnight sun cruise next June so there is time, and I'll have a better sense of my measurements then (and how long I'm likely to keep them). 

Online would have more options, but then there is the fit question. We have a couple of Jos. Banks in the area. Even in better shape, I always fit better into separates than combined suits so sometimes the options are better that way in a brick and mortar store, sometimes not.

At a good price - purchasing, using, and then donating if necessary is not a problem compared to the whole cruise. I have all the other paraphernalia so they'll appreciate being trotted out!

None of this is about resistance to dress codes or tuxes, but about making sure I have what fits comfortably and isn't crap.

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Thanks. A good idea. I did think about buying inexpensive for that reason - problem is I have Champagne tastes! There are plenty of options, though, and it would encourage me to stick with Cunard on future sailings. 🙂 I’ll do a search. I know some are against it, but if the dress code permits dark suits, then we’re fine with that, too, but I do like to dress the part when I can.

Many years ago we purchases our "gently used" tuxedo's from a land based rental company.   These were less then the cost of a new suit.    Rental companies often have very large inventories which they change yearly.   My partner managed to snag a brand new Calvin Klein notched tux Jacket for a fraction of the costs of a new one.       

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

As I understand it the rental price will be based on the number of formal (gala) nights in your itinerary. For 12 nights I expect that you'd have four gala nights. The rental price might not be much below my purchase price.

My partner has lost a lot of weight and I  just checked to see how many formal nights we have in a 20 day cruise - 3 nights. He's going with the baggy look! 

• Haha 1

It's a shame, and it's bad news.

Until a couple of years ago, the format  was 3 Formals per week on a crossing and two per week on a cruise.

That has been watered down to two per week on a crossing and three per two weeks on a cruise.

Any less will mean the question has to be asked; why bother? 

Agree with your last post @carolina_yankee.  I would just buy a really good (used) tux now and have it tailored.  Before our crossing in May,  I had to visit the tailor to have jackets and trousers let out a bit.  I was reminded the human body does change over time and in choosing quality garments, they can (within reason) be easily adjusted.  Fwiw, my DH swears by Jos Banks, but regardless of our different strategies, we don't look too much like the sartorial odd couple.  

• Like 3

I haven't read the whole thread but due to an oversight I had left all my white shirts at home and so I needed to buy or hire pne if I could.

On Queen Victoria the largest collar size they had was 17 inches.  I would imagine there is a similary limited range of jacket sizes.

3 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Agree with your last post @carolina_yankee.  I would just buy a really good (used) tux now and have it tailored.  Before our crossing in May,  I had to visit the tailor to have jackets and trousers let out a bit.  I was reminded the human body does change over time and in choosing quality garments, they can (within reason) be easily adjusted.  Fwiw, my DH swears by Jos Banks, but regardless of our different strategies, we don't look too much like the sartorial odd couple.  

As said before, we bought one and of course had tailored in 5 days. All remark Joe Banks or Aboub are very stylish as well made. We expect to use it long time to come. We picked traditional collar and lapels. Not Italys so thin.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lissie said:

My partner has lost a lot of weight and I  just checked to see how many formal nights we have in a 20 day cruise - 3 nights. He's going with the baggy look! 

I counted wrong - 4 nights - but still surprisingly few.  

8 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Congratulations to your partner!

Travel will do that to you- he started losing on board our first cruies to Europe and its accelerated jumping off buses and trains around the Balkans. Unfortunately his suit is in storage in Barcelona and we won't see it again until we get back on board in October - so tailoring isn't an option.