Camp Ocean tips and tricks (first time cruising with kids)

WEJEEP4FUN

Looking for tips and tricks for using Camp Ocean. We have been on several cruises but normally leave the kids with Grandma and Grandpa but decided its time to introduce them to the life of cruising. We have three children, 6, 8 and 17 years old. I'm sure our 17 year old will be exploring on his own mostly. As far as the two little ones we are not interested in the Night Owls just the daytime service. Does Camp Ocean fill up and then your out of luck? I didn't see anything about lunch? I'm assuming we need to pick them up and take them to lunch? I will add that on port days we will have them with us and don't plan to use Camp Ocean.

Thanks for your input and knowledge.  

Go the first night/day, that is when kids start talking and getting to know each other. That is probably the most important thing, the rest works itself out naturally. Carnival has the hours posted and used to stick to them, these days though, it can be hit or miss. On our last cruise they didn't open when they said they would but that only lasted a day/day and a half. You can get them anytime (for younger ones) for food but they do have a food option where they will take them to eat kids type foods. We saw this roped off last cruise but didn't use it. See the Carnival website for all the particulars. 

We sailed with the kids in June and had to make reservations on the app. You do have to pick up for lunch and dinner. They use to take them to buffet before Covid. Now, they aren’t open til I think like 7-7:30. When is your cruise? We are sailing next Saturday again with the kids. I can update you from the ship about the reservations. 

1 hour ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We sailed with the kids in June and had to make reservations on the app. You do have to pick up for lunch and dinner. They use to take them to buffet before Covid. Now, they aren’t open til I think like 7-7:30. When is your cruise? We are sailing next Saturday again with the kids. I can update you from the ship about the reservations. 

They had the dining option on Miracle a few weeks back (we physically seen the roped off area with signage just like they used to do) but it wasn't offered on Panorama back in April, so maybe it's ship dependent or has returned? Not sailing again until January so I'm not sure what to expect.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

They had the dining option on Miracle a few weeks back (we physically seen the roped off area with signage just like they used to do) but it wasn't offered on Panorama back in April, so maybe it's ship dependent or has returned? Not sailing again until January so I'm not sure what to expect.   

Awesome! I’ll find out in 9 days if the Dream is offering it. 🎉

• Like 1

I was on the Magic in August. They were open from like 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 and then starting from 10pm to 1 am was the night owls. We were never turned away for lack of space but we were there when they first opened. They did keep them from like 8 to 4 on the one port day but I took my kids with me when we landed in Bermuda. My 5 almost 6 year old LOVED it! They did so much cool stuff with them.

• Like 1

We've cruised three times (March, May, June) this year on three different ships and fortunately never had to make a reservation.  The app did, however, show an option to make a reservation even though none were accepted.  I think that's an app thing.  In any case, I'd just ask how the numbers are looking to see if you might need a reservation or not.

My daughter, seven, loved night owls.  She didn't stay long (only about an hour), but enjoyed it.  They give the kids a little stuffed owl, too.

None of the cruises we were on offered any meals.  We had to pick her up for all of them, which wasn't an issue for us.  

• Like 1

Most days they closed for lunch for us, but I did notice on one of the port days they remained open and took the kids to the buffet. Our cruise had very few kids but they still enjoyed going. I did like that they have a schedule of activities in a brochure, and it's also listed on the HUB app so the kids can kinda choose when they feel like going. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the great responses,

What about beverages for the kids during the day? Do they need to bring a water bottle or is there water fountains? Do they offer some other types of beverages for them?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, MeganGC1983 said:

Awesome! I’ll find out in 9 days if the Dream is offering it. 🎉

@MeganGC1983 Wondering if the Dream had the 6pm camp ocean mealtime service offered prior to 7pm Camp Ocean start? 

Also, do you happen to know the policy for leaving a child in camp ocean while you're in port? We have family that will stay on ship for an emergency, but not sure if that's required or not. Do the camp ocean  phones they provide (for 3 yo kiddo) work in port? If it matters, we are taking a Carnival excursion.