Birth certificate question

Planning on taking my grandson who is 13 on a cruise with me. He does not have a passport and that presently is not an option.  How will this work?  What do I need? Does any of that change if his father goes with us?

I am just worried that we will be denied boarding if it is just him and I - honestly still concerned about it if his father goes as his mother is not and we will not have a passport for him. 

16 minutes ago, Ohserendipity said:

Planning on taking my grandson who is 13 on a cruise with me. He does not have a passport and that presently is not an option.  How will this work?  What do I need? Does any of that change if his father goes with us?

I am just worried that we will be denied boarding if it is just him and I - honestly still concerned about it if his father goes as his mother is not and we will not have a passport for him. 

Burth certificate required.   If traveling without a parent,  or with only 1 parent then a form signed by parents is needed giving you permission.   Check with Royal as to what's required 

We have taken our grand daughter on 3 cruises with us and she doesn't have a passport.  All you need is an original state issued birth certificate with a raised seal. You can't use a hospital one.  We also had her mom sign the paperwork required by the ship and took a copy of the original court order giving her sole custody.  They never asked us for the paperwork allowing us to take her with us on any of the cruises. 

In June we took all of our grand kids (none had passports) on a cruise with their biological Dad and my daughter (step mom to 4 of them, bio to 1)  We had asked them to get bio mom to 4 to sign paperwork before we left (they didn't) and it wasn't needed.  I warned them that if Royal asked for it and they didn't have it then they would be left at the pier with 4 crying kids...and grandma was still going on the cruise! 

Go and make memories with your grandkid.  You won't regret it! 

When my children were little, we'd take a birth certificate and a school id. It was never an issue. I also took my friends MINORS with us once, all we needed was the same. I also took a notarized letter with permission, but they never asked for it.

We've also taken OPK (other people's kids) and never been asked for the 'permission' form.  Just birth certificate and school id if they have it.

Switching the question around, now curious if ANYONE was ever asked for the parent form?  

We have never been asked for the "other" parents permission letter.  RCCL has a form on their www site they want signed and notarized if the minor is traveling without parent and we always have it but nobody has asked.  Luckily, our GD have passports and the same last name.  So maybe they think we are their very old parents.  Many years ago our son and grandson cruised with us after our DIL passed away.  GS was only eight and we took all the documents.  Nobody asked.  

We took our granddaughters on four cruises…….on 3 out of the 4 cruises we were asked to produce the letter from their parents giving us permission to take them on the cruise.

It happened twice on Royal and once on Disney…..

Edited by GTO-Girl

4 hours ago, arlodog said:

We have taken our grand daughter on 3 cruises with us and she doesn't have a passport.  All you need is an original state issued birth certificate with a raised seal. You can't use a hospital one.  We also had her mom sign the paperwork required by the ship and took a copy of the original court order giving her sole custody.  They never asked us for the paperwork allowing us to take her with us on any of the cruises. 

In June we took all of our grand kids (none had passports) on a cruise with their biological Dad and my daughter (step mom to 4 of them, bio to 1)  We had asked them to get bio mom to 4 to sign paperwork before we left (they didn't) and it wasn't needed.  I warned them that if Royal asked for it and they didn't have it then they would be left at the pier with 4 crying kids...and grandma was still going on the cruise! 

Go and make memories with your grandkid.  You won't regret it! 

My experience was exacly the same when we've cruised with my grandson on 4 previous cruises!