How do I fire a PCC?

Rob_H

I made some bookings through a NCL PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant).  Now whenever I need to make any changes I have to go through them, can't be done on the webchat.  This adds delays (many days) and they have made errors that needed to be fixed, with more delays.  I've learnt my lesson and haven't used the PCC for any future bookings.

Is there any way to get back control of the few bookings I've made through this PCC, so I can deal direct with NCL and not have this layer of delays and errors?  In other words, remove them from the booking?  Is that something anybody has done?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rob_H said:

I made some bookings through a NCL PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant).  Now whenever I need to make any changes I have to go through them, can't be done on the webchat.  This adds delays (many days) and they have made errors that needed to be fixed, with more delays.  I've learnt my lesson and haven't used the PCC for any future bookings.

Is there any way to get back control of the few bookings I've made through this PCC, so I can deal direct with NCL and not have this layer of delays and errors?  In other words, remove them from the booking?  Is that something anybody has done?

I knew there was something about this kooky Personal Consultant culture I didn’t like.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Can you just cancel the bookings and do it yourself from the beginning?  What kind of changes are you attempting?

Yes, I've now gone back to doing my own bookings for anything new, these are just a few historical bookings past final payment that sail very soon.  The changes were a while back, had to be done twice due to the PCC and ended up costing us a few dollars more.

Mostly it's now just queries about NCL errors (too long and silly to go into here) that could be fixed easily in webchat but they insist I use the PCC, who is hard to reach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob_H said:

You seem to not have LEARNED that you can simply call in and work with whichever PCC happens to answer the phone.  Have whoever that is help you book.  If I were to need to get rid of a PCC on an existing booking I would email the socialmedia@ncl.com contact and ask them to address the matter.

• Like 1

You can try to call NCL office in whatever region you made those bookings, and asked how to remove the PCC tagged to those bookings? The removal should be done at the higher chain of command as the PCC has the vested interest (i.e commission) on the bookings under his/her portfolio. I believe prior to the change, if feasible, you would be asked a simple question " what went wrong?".

For years I have been unable to un-yoke myself from a subpar PCC.  I now call directly to NCL CustServ and say "No, I do not wish to deal with ________, please remove me from her list of clients.  Here is my question/problem/request I have today, can YOU help me with this?"  Never had difficulty getting assistance.

Recently I received an auto-email from PCC "Sorry I missed you, let's catch up" blah blah blah.

I replied with a polite version of 'Go Pound Sand' -- we'll see if THAT has any effect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

All changes go through the travel agency you book through.  Even if you booked with NCL and without talking with anyone.  And you should be able to talk to any representative with that agency as long as you have a booking number.

I presume, with this statement you are referring to NCL as the "travel agency" with which you booked.  Otherwise I would have a followup question for you.

I have 49 NCL cruises under my belt and have had my current PCC for 14 years.  When it is her day off or when I knew she out of the office I’ve just always asked for someone else.  It has never been a problem.   I can’t understand why you were told that you couldn’t use chat (I have) or why you had to speak only to her.    I have had that happen with TAs (not to be confused with PCCs) which why I always book NCL with my excellent consultant.    Seems you’ve gotten some bad info from phone bank at NCL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I presume, with this statement you are referring to NCL as the "travel agency" with which you booked.  Otherwise I would have a followup question for you.

If you book through a TA, you talk to the TA and the TA talks to NCL.  Book with NCL you talk directly with NCL.

Edited by pickle11

Unless you're booked through a non-NCL travel agent, you can do whatever you want to your reservation at any time. You do not have to go through whoever they claim your PCC is. I get emails from random people claiming to be my PCC weekly, and I've never used them once. 

In the past I just booked online myself, and called their number for any changes. Finally found a good PCC through a recommendation from a fellow traveler, and I use her going forward as she sends bonus perks my way for the business booked through her. 

But if I ever can't reach her or it's a time sensitive thing, I can call the main NCL number and make any changes through ANYONE at NCL. It does not have to be through their PCC. 

So as long as you avoid an independent TA, you still have full control over everything by just calling their number and talking to whoever answers the phone.

As for finding a good PCC... the only thing I'm allowed to say on here is to talk to fellow travelers on your next trip and write down the name/number of the ones they like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rass2008 said:

Oh shoot really = sigh, I didn't realize that. How would I get the name of a good one? lol

We use one...honestly, my husband uses one. I think it's a whole waste of time. He works remote and enjoys talking to people, so the off topic chats he has with our PCC are enjoyable to him. Not to me. 

Having said that, there is absolutely no reason, whatsoever, that you need a PCC. The PCC did make sure our mini bar was emptied, the anniversary cake was ready, and has moved us from one cruise to another as we change our minds on where we want to go...but, none of this requires a PCC. 

I'd much prefer NCL give us a discount if we don't use a Personal Cruise Consultant or Travel Agent. Frankie boy just wants his money. 

But, seriously you don't need one to get great service from the main phone number. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We use one...honestly, my husband uses one. I think it's a whole waste of time. He works remote and enjoys talking to people, so the off topic chats he has with our PCC are enjoyable to him. Not to me.

God, this response is adorable!

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:42 PM, Sailing12Away said:

So as long as you avoid an independent TA, you still have full control over everything by just calling their number and talking to whoever answers the phone.

You have as much control booking through an independent TA as you do booking directly.  In both cases, in order to make a change, you have to call someone.  Then that person inputs changes into the computer system.  Same process in both cases.  With one exception.

A good TA can provide discounts of up to 10% from the NCL price.

BTW, even if you book through a TA, you can call NCL to make changes as long as those changes do not affect the TA commission.  For example, you can book specialty restaurants without going through a TA.  You do have to go through a TA to purchase drink packages.  

I have my TA phone numbers and email address.  I use the email in most cases.  

One other thing.  Once I had a cruse booked on Celebrity and one on Royal.  I needed to cancel those and book a cruise on Holland and one on Princess.  If I had booked directly, that would have been four phone calls and who knows how long I would have spent on hold.  I sent one email to my TA describing what I wanted and I had two cancellations and two booking done within the hour.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You have as much control booking through an independent TA as you do booking directly.  In both cases, in order to make a change, you have to call someone.  Then that person inputs changes into the computer system.  Same process in both cases.  With one exception.

BTW, even if you book through a TA, you can call NCL to make changes as long as those changes do not affect the TA commission.  For example, you can book specialty restaurants without going through a TA.  You do have to go through a TA to purchase drink packages.  

One other thing.  Once I had a cruse booked on Celebrity and one on Royal.  I needed to cancel those and book a cruise on Holland and one on Princess.  If I had booked directly, that would have been four phone calls and who knows how long I would have spent on hold.  I sent one email to my TA describing what I wanted and I had two cancellations and two booking done within the hour.

A couple things, just for discussion.

1.  A TA offering percentages of discounts is tantamount to collecting coupons.  I have no time for that.  The return is negligible especially when you consider what most of those discounts can be used for.  And it still doesn't balance out what you could lose compared to just pressing a cruise line for their best deals.  9 Times out of 10 that 10% discount can be gotten just by being assertive with a cruise customer service representative at your favorite cruise line.

2.  Saying you have "as much control with the cruise line as you do with a travel agent" may be true, right down to the moment you can't reach your TA because they're unavailable, out of the office, sick or just on do not disturb for the weekend.   Someone at the cruise line will always take the call, albeit frequently a wait on hold.  I've never waited for more than 10 or 15 minutes, and it's usually one or two.

3.  If you don't have the time to wait on hold for four phone calls between now and when your cruise(s) embark(s) you are probably too busy to go on a vacation just now. 

Edited by MotownVoice

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would debate this a bit. I have no idea what the travel agent is saying to NCL when they put me on hold. I don't know if they are asking the question in the right way, or giving me a truthful answer. 

And I have no control when calling my TA WHEN they talk to someone at NCL. I spend a lot of time with my TAs (I have used multiple with the same agency, with varying levels of satisfaction) saying "it's long hold time, I'll get back to you" and then days go by. If it's communication via email or voicemail, too much time goes by.

I have no doubt there are amazing travel agents out there, but I think the norm is that there's a lot of average to mediocre ones. I only use our agency over booking direct because of the $100-400/pp additional discount I receive. 

That being said, your comment about one phone call re: two cruises is a very good point about when it's nice to have an external TA. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

A couple things, just for discussion.

1.  A TA offering percentages of discounts is tantamount to collecting coupons.  I have no time for that.  The return is negligible especially when you consider what most of those discounts can be used for.  And it still doesn't balance out what you could lose compared to just pressing a cruise line for their best deals.  9 Times out of 10 that 10% discount can be gotten just by being assertive with a cruise customer service representative at your favorite cruise line.

2.  Saying you have "as much control with the cruise line as you do with a travel agent" may be true, right down to the moment you can't reach your TA because they're unavailable, out of the office, sick or just on do not disturb for the weekend.   Someone at the cruise line will always take the call, albeit frequently a wait on hold.  I've never waited for more than 10 or 15 minutes, and it's usually one or two.

3.  If you don't have the time to wait on hold for four phone calls between now and when your cruise(s) embark(s) you are probably too busy to go on a vacation just now. 

Those 'discounts' are not OBC, they are a reduction in what I pay for the cruise.  Since those 'discounts' remain in my checking account, I can use them for anything including gasoline, groceries, etc.

I've never encountered a significant delay in contacting my TA.  She monitors her email and phone messages over the weekend and holidays.  If it's truly urgent, she will deal with it over the weekend.

Now why should I waste my time listening to music while on hold when a simple email accomplished my goal?  Evidently,  you must enjoy the time spent on hold.  I do not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weltek said:

I have no doubt there are amazing travel agents out there, but I think the norm is that there's a lot of average to mediocre ones. I only use our agency over booking direct because of the $100-400/pp additional discount I receive. 

I only deal with an amazing travel agent.  I don't deal with mediocre ones. 

• Like 2