From King Crab to Poi-almost live from Koningsdam Alaska to Hawaii and back

Clay Clayton

Posted upon docking in Juneau on 10/3/22

10/1/22 Saturday

Embarkation 

Boarding groups were told to arrive too early. We arrived in purgatory about 10:40 and didn’t leave until noon.  

Ship is as expected based on our YouTube viewing. Staff is always masked, the 10% of passengers I noted in purgatory is probably closer to 5%. 

The main dining room was not open for lunch which was a disappointment but because we were among the first aboard the buffet wasn’t a complete madhouse….yet!  Very pleased to find out that there are tables at the stern of the ship which are close to the buffet so will have a place to enjoy dining al fresco. The only self service in this area os for coffee, tea, and water, everything else is really served cafeteria style. The salad I had made with seared tuna was very tasty as were the deviled eggs I had as a side garnish.  Finished with coconut ice cream (daily special) for dessert which was delicious. 

Room

Only difference with the spa stateroom is location, 2 yoga mats, Bose Bluetooth speaker, and pedometers. No more included fancy waters. Teak mat for shower makes the ceiling too low for me to use. After lunch we unpacked and hd plenty of storage room for our things. 

We enjoyed our balcony watching float planes land and take off as well as marine demonstrations taking place as part of the Marine Careers event taking place in Canada Place. 

Cruise Critic Meet and Greet

Nice size crowd for the meet & greet. We made an appearance and then left as we reached Lionsgate Bridge to see it and the rest of the sailaway. 

Trivia

We tied for 2nd we missed: Highest possible score in a single dart shot? 60 Which Shakespeare character has 1,190 lines? Hamlet   What natural mineral gemstone is the best conductor of heat?  Diamond

Pride Gathering

Big crowd of 25 or so for the Gathering hosted by Ms. X group included the Billboard OnBoard Piano Player. Very international-signapore, England, Scotland, Canada 

Dinner

We have “main” seating (late) with Scott and Robert for this leg as that is their preference. For the Hawaii leg, Mike and I will have open seating. 

We were seated at our table a few minutes after 8 pm. Service was slow-very slow, so much so our server apologized at the end of the meal. We ordered about 8:30 and three of Our appetizers arrived about 8:50. Unfortunately Scott’s didn’t show up until closer to 9. Mike and I both had the King Crab and Seafood Cocktail. There was one piece of crab in mine and Mike’s had none. There was however what tasted to us like canned Asian crab in the sauce which made the whole dish less than spectacular.  Robert had the Caprese Salad-plum tomatoes don’t make for the best. Scott said his French Onion Soup was very good. 

Our mains arrived after a further delay, it was close to 9:30. Mike and I both had the Seared Rock Fish over saffron risotto with a couple of mussels and clams as garnish. It was the highlight of our meal. Our table mates both had pork loin with cranberry compote which they said was good. Desserts were strawberry romanoff, ice cream sundae, and a cheese plate for Mike. All were fine except for the lonely soggy cracker on Mike’s otherwise huge cheese tray. We finished dinner at 10:05. Hopefully service will improve. We found the portions a little small (except for the cheese tray) but given the late hour that wasn’t a bad thing. 

All in all a fine first day. 

Thoughts: 

Food is closer to NCL than Celebrity or Viking. 

Having buffet served is great- portions are hotter due to smaller serving dishes. 

Mike appreciates the wide variety of tea bags available

After sailing on mostly small ships the last few years, it’s strange to have to walk so far or climb so many steps to get around. Will be good that we are on the opposite end of the ship from the food options. We will get our steps in-3.6 miles yesterday!

2ADC33F9-2548-4F04-86B0-B201C9A90981.jpeg

184B247A-EBB6-491B-AB3A-29FABC62FD88.jpeg

815A8280-523E-4D84-A27A-6DBAA6670A00.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted on 10/3/22  upon docking in Juneau

Sea Day

Still on east coast time so I woke up at 6:30.  I went ahead and got up and showered so I could decorate Scott’s door for his birthday with a little embarrassing picture I had made.  I then went to the stern and had some coffee. It was funny to see the crowd folks running to take pictures of the sunrise.  

We then went to breakfast in the main dining room. I had one of the Culinary Institute Chef’s interesting breakfasts. Started with a passion fruit yogurt, then a plate with quinoa and some sautéed veggies with a poached egg and a delicious sorta spicy sauce finished with a pomegranate bread pudding. All was delicious but the entree particularly so. Service was still slow in the Dining Room but I think it a problem in the kitchen as I could see the a large group of servers waiting at what I presume was the pass to pick up and deliver dishes to the tables. 

After breakfast, we went to a session to meet the onboard naturalist and to his “How to use your binoculars” session. That was followed by attending a presentation in the Main Stage on whales, lunch in the buffet, a “Lightening” Trivia (faster paced with 30 questions), afternoon tea-it was just ok-Viking has nothing to worry about on that front, then Team Trivia which again we did ok-likely tied with three or four teams for third with 13 out of 15 correct.  We then joined the naturalist outside for whale watching. We saw a couple of whales pass us (or I guess we actually passed them) with quick views of spouts and tails. Hopefully tomorrow we will get even better views since we will be in narrower channels. 

It was one of the dressy nights onboard so we did our best to snazz ourselves up. Mike made us pocket squares with fabric remnants from several of his sewing projects. There was a much smaller Pride Gathering but still fun. Tammy, the Billboard OnBoard singer joined us again, we decided that if dinner doesn’t take two and a half hours we will try to attend her 10 pm show. 

Dinner was a special gala menu celebrating Holland America’s 75th Anniversary of sailing in Alaska.  Made me think of what a great trip my Mom and Dad had back in the 1980s after a serious illness during which we plastered his hospital room with Alaskan posters to try to push him through to be able to do something he always wanted to do.  That trip was also on Holland America. 

The meal was tasty-shrimp cocktails, prosciutto and cheese, and salads with pear and walnuts were among the first courses at our table. Scott and Robert both ordered the oscared filet mignon, Mike had an Alaskan sole, and I selected lamb chops. For dessert Robert had Baked Alaska while the rest of us had Jacque Torre’s special chocolate mousse which was served inside a gold dusted chocolate eagle. 

After dinner we hurried to Tammy’s set. She is working hard as the partner scheduled to join her at the dueling pianos had passport issued and so she is alone.  She is hoping someone may board soon but it hasn’t been confirmed.  

About 10:30, we headed to our cabin and I read on the balcony until I got too cold and headed inside and to bed. 

Thoughts

I really like the auditorium onboard. It’s in the round and is surrounded by HUGE video screens. The presentation about whales was interesting and beautiful. They are doing a version of BBC’s Earth with a live band.  Hope we get to go. Because of the late sitting dinner we likely won’t get to go this segment but I’m hopeful it will be repeated on our way to or from Hawaii. 

We enjoyed recreating the King and Queen’s pose-hopefully no Netherlanders will be upset. 

1B865DDD-AF3C-4DB4-84C3-CAF9903B52DD.jpeg

FFBE9B85-81F0-4BE6-A464-DFDFD92B0502.jpeg

205ED714-E6B6-455F-A0A5-D3F160A94E54.jpeg

CFEA8BE3-940A-4738-83B7-8681528A466C.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Posted on 10/3/22  upon docking in Juneau

Sea Day

Still on east coast time so I woke up at 6:30.  I went ahead and got up and showered so I could decorate Scott’s door for his birthday with a little embarrassing picture I had made.  I then went to the stern and had some coffee. It was funny to see the crowd folks running to take pictures of the sunrise.  

We then went to breakfast in the main dining room. I had one of the Culinary Institute Chef’s interesting breakfasts. Started with a passion fruit yogurt, then a plate with quinoa and some sautéed veggies with a poached egg and a delicious sorta spicy sauce finished with a pomegranate bread pudding. All was delicious but the entree particularly so. Service was still slow in the Dining Room but I think it a problem in the kitchen as I could see the a large group of servers waiting at what I presume was the pass to pick up and deliver dishes to the tables. 

After breakfast, we went to a session to meet the onboard naturalist and to his “How to use your binoculars” session. That was followed by attending a presentation in the Main Stage on whales, lunch in the buffet, a “Lightening” Trivia (faster paced with 30 questions), afternoon tea-it was just ok-Viking has nothing to worry about on that front, then Team Trivia which again we did ok-likely tied with three or four teams for third with 13 out of 15 correct.  We then joined the naturalist outside for whale watching. We saw a couple of whales pass us (or I guess we actually passed them) with quick views of spouts and tails. Hopefully tomorrow we will get even better views since we will be in narrower channels. 

It was one of the dressy nights onboard so we did our best to snazz ourselves up. Mike made us pocket squares with fabric remnants from several of his sewing projects. There was a much smaller Pride Gathering but still fun. Tammy, the Billboard OnBoard singer joined us again, we decided that if dinner doesn’t take two and a half hours we will try to attend her 10 pm show. 

Dinner was a special gala menu celebrating Holland America’s 75th Anniversary of sailing in Alaska.  Made me think of what a great trip my Mom and Dad had back in the 1980s after a serious illness during which we plastered his hospital room with Alaskan posters to try to push him through to be able to do something he always wanted to do.  That trip was also on Holland America. 

The meal was tasty-shrimp cocktails, prosciutto and cheese, and salads with pear and walnuts were among the first courses at our table. Scott and Robert both ordered the oscared filet mignon, Mike had an Alaskan sole, and I selected lamb chops. For dessert Robert had Baked Alaska while the rest of us had Jacque Torre’s special chocolate mousse which was served inside a gold dusted chocolate eagle. 

After dinner we hurried to Tammy’s set. She is working hard as the partner scheduled to join her at the dueling pianos had passport issued and so she is alone.  She is hoping someone may board soon but it hasn’t been confirmed.  

About 10:30, we headed to our cabin and I read on the balcony until I got too cold and headed inside and to bed. 

Thoughts

I really like the auditorium onboard. It’s in the round and is surrounded by HUGE video screens. The presentation about whales was interesting and beautiful. They are doing a version of BBC’s Earth with a live band.  Hope we get to go. Because of the late sitting dinner we likely won’t get to go this segment but I’m hopeful it will be repeated on our way to or from Hawaii. 

We enjoyed recreating the King and Queen’s pose-hopefully no Netherlanders will be upset. 

1B865DDD-AF3C-4DB4-84C3-CAF9903B52DD.jpeg

FFBE9B85-81F0-4BE6-A464-DFDFD92B0502.jpeg

205ED714-E6B6-455F-A0A5-D3F160A94E54.jpeg

CFEA8BE3-940A-4738-83B7-8681528A466C.jpeg

Great pictures!  Especially the one at the top - you both look fabulous.

• Like 1

Relaxing time in Juneau.  We walked along the waterfront walkway until it ended and then a little further to get to the Whale Project Sculpture. Unfortunately, the water feature was off (winter perhaps?) but still impressive. On our walk back stopped at Griz and had a Denali Brewing Blues & Wheat.  Wonder why it was red? 

Back aboard and enjoying being off our feet-between the long walks to food onboard and our walk in town today, we have totaled a little over six miles. 

Tomorrow is Skagway. 😊

66B46E0F-8886-4F0F-9AAD-A07E53E065EA.jpeg

852566BA-E7FC-4D6D-8B76-982A9BBCFED8.jpeg

A3C66DE4-A82D-4E53-9D21-D1892889BF87.jpeg

6AEB0003-A9B9-48BA-9845-382C893D9706.jpeg

20CD3E1C-4ACA-42D9-933C-67F9536F1C47.jpeg

CC802E62-CB4C-46F8-864C-7B4FC80FBC0B.jpeg

24BC420A-4239-4E51-A282-D29466A07020.jpeg

74BF8829-AC46-4E64-B176-B15DFBE548FA.jpeg

596058E0-AD96-4945-B9D8-F5A299ED455B.jpeg

7EB13AB6-0566-469C-9481-52CF5F68FDEA.jpeg

269FF7BC-BABA-405B-9435-E483DCB3A819.jpeg

87C8FE17-78CD-432E-8072-DDFCD65FE7AD.jpeg

• Like 8

Good Morning from Skagway.  It’s partly clouding and in the mid 50s here.  Chilly in the shade and wind but otherwise a perfect day in Alaska.  Hope it will stay this way.  

I suspect there are lots of disappointed passengers today. Those who had booked the White Pass Railway learned yesterday that the excursion had been canceled due to a rockslide.  Hate that for them as we really enjoyed it when we went years ago.  We just finished breakfast and are off to wander town.  When we were here in 2003 for Mike’s birthday, I was on crutches so we only did the railroad. Our plan is to be back on the ship for lunch unless we find something ashore that we can’t resist.  Scott & Robert are doing an excursion that take them to pet husky puppies who will eventually learn to pull sleds and afterwards a campfire with s’mores. 

I suspect there may be hot chocolate in our future. 

• Like 6

Enjoyed a walk around Skagway. Lots of things already closed for the season. Mike enjoyed browsing a quilt store that had beautiful fabrics-some of them native printed. We also got the obligatory Christmas ornament for our tree but didn’t get the nativity set. I loved the tagline on the Brass Pic. Had a nice view of a Glacier edge on the way back. Tomorrow we will be on the other side of it when we cruise Glacier Bay National Park. Sure hope the weather will be as nice as today but “Accuweather” says it’s going to rain😢 

After a lunch at Dive In -the curry brat was very tasty, I tried out my new water color pencils for the first time.  It was enjoyable but the final product wasn’t exactly what I wanted-learning to use this new material and technique will take a few tries. 

We are having dinner tonight in Tamarind-the Asian Specialty restaurant onboard. The menu look delicious and those who have eaten there already have raved about it.  🤞

Will be up early tomorrow for our day in Glacier Bay.  Will hopefully be able to post about it once we get to Ketchikan on Thursday. 

7E28C7BD-0697-4008-9A59-2DF5F42D3E6E.jpeg

9A78D2A3-0FB8-4AC4-9F7A-FD0DB61AE452.jpeg

BD76B2EF-4B99-4189-8BA4-9C8F49949E8C.jpeg

454D50BA-7D46-46E8-948C-D09CF7D090B3.jpeg

799AB718-EF92-448E-9F25-F58568B607D9.jpeg

5AB487B1-4EDC-4C13-8480-14B82A27FA48.jpeg

ABB1261B-689C-4078-8CBC-4BBCC547A623.jpeg

D02BDB5C-88F4-47F1-A360-1FC1D443848B.jpeg

1E42AE59-1886-4D20-A838-5355C9971797.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 18

Nice drawing, Clay!  I'm sure you're never fully satisfied with an end result, but this is really nice to look at.

I agree on the Whitepass Railway.  Sorry people didn't get to experience it; it was a highlight of our visit when we were in Skagway several years ago.  

Thanks for posting the pictures, too, in spite of the tricky internet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Nice drawing.  The Tamarind is my favorite restaurant. If you are the last ship out of Skagway for the season, the locals will come down to the dock and "moon" the ship as it leaves. We saw it once and laughed like crazy as we waved goodbye.

Wow.  Must be another one coming as one of the shopkeepers said they were closing for the season on Saturday. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Nice drawing, Clay!  I'm sure you're never fully satisfied with an end result, but this is really nice to look at.

I agree on the Whitepass Railway.  Sorry people didn't get to experience it; it was a highlight of our visit when we were in Skagway several years ago.  

Thanks for posting the pictures, too, in spite of the tricky internet.

Thanks but scale, and colors are both wrong! LOL. And it doesn’t look watercolory.

Not using internet-don’t want to afford it!😂 so using our T-Mobile plan when we have service. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

Just now, Clay Clayton said:

Not using internet-don’t want to afford it!😂 so using our T-Mobile plan when we have service. 

Your dedication is even more impressive, in that case! 😊

31 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Nice pictures!  That quilt shop was on my list of things to do when we went to Alaska.

They have some beautiful quilts for sale, as well as quilt kits (fabric and instructions on how to make them), and just fabric too. (bring your wallet Mike says)

• Like 3

Wow! What time did you take that?  Guest Services called as requested about 12:15 and I could see something atmospheric but it was not nearly that green-more smoke like. I decided there was no need to take a photo as everyone would think I was lying and trying to share a picture of emissions from Koningsdam’s stack as the Northern Lights 😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Wait, what?? ...

A bright sunny day in Alaska? .. In OCTOBER??? 😵

Sorry. After reading and hearing about Alaska in the late season, it was refreshing to see a beautiful day up there.

You know, all we ever hear is rain, fog, snow, etc.

Good to see you're enjoying the trip. 😎

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow! What time did you take that?  Guest Services called as requested about 12:15 and I could see something atmospheric but it was not nearly that green-more smoke like. I decided there was no need to take a photo as everyone would think I was lying and trying to share a picture of emissions from Koningsdam’s stack as the Northern Lights 😂 

The camera makes the northern lights look more vivid than they do to the naked eye. Next time you see “something atmospheric,” point your camera at it and look at it through the viewfinder. You might be surprised.

• Like 2