Mah Jongg players on board

Tante1231

A few years ago I started playing Mah Jongg.  We have several sea days on our next cruise and I would like to connect with other players.  Never played on a cruise before.  Are there open Mah Jongg games ever listed?  How would I go about meeting other players?  As always, thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tante1231 said:

A few years ago I started playing Mah Jongg.  We have several sea days on our next cruise and I would like to connect with other players.  Never played on a cruise before.  Are there open Mah Jongg games ever listed?  How would I go about meeting other players?  As always, thanks in advance. 

Hi Tante,

I teach/play Mahjongg. There are games in one of the meeting areas onboard and you can see it on the daily app. Mahjongg sets are available but you need to pack your card. I was on Rotterdam for 35 days during Christmas and New Year holiday cruise. And will be with her for 45 days beginning Dec 11th. (May the jokers be with you) 

Joy

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hi Tante,

I teach/play Mahjongg. There are games in one of the meeting areas onboard and you can see it on the daily app. Mahjongg sets are available but you need to pack your card. I was on Rotterdam for 35 days during Christmas and New Year holiday cruise. And will be with her for 45 days beginning Dec 11th. (May the jokers be with you) 

Joy

Thanks Joy...I have my card packed and ready to go.  Happy Sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you referring to American mah jongg? The one with the cards and the tiles with numbers on them? Just asking because some of us play Taiwanese or other varieties (no cards, no numbers so you learn the Chinese symbols -- more like at the end of Crazy Rich Asians).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chickadee910 said:

Would it be okay to sit in and watch for a while. I have always wanted to see it played. Other than solitaire match .

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be welcomed by players...always nice to have new people interested. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 4:05 PM, WriterOnDeck said:

Are you referring to American mah jongg? The one with the cards and the tiles with numbers on them? Just asking because some of us play Taiwanese or other varieties (no cards, no numbers so you learn the Chinese symbols -- more like at the end of Crazy Rich Asians).

We play National Mah Jongg - with the card and the tiles with numbers.  I've never played Taiwanese. 

Edited by Tante1231
Typo
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:06 PM, Chickadee910 said:

Would it be okay to sit in and watch for a while. I have always wanted to see it played. Other than solitaire match .

On 9/29/2022 at 6:49 PM, LuAnn said:

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be welcomed by players...always nice to have new people interested. 

I would have no problem with someone watching...I'm still relatively new compared to some of the women I play with - some of them have been playing for over 40 years.  There are times when one of us has to rotate out (when there is a 5th player)...I enjoy watching the hands of the more experienced players...that's how I keep on learning. 

Edited by Tante1231
Typo
  • Like 2

Some very kind and patient ladies taught us mahjong on our Hawaii cruise. They were so delighted my husband wanted to learn! He got me to come join in after a couple days. We’ve played each cruise since… usually teaching someone we were hanging out with onboard rather than trying to keep up with the more experienced players. I hope to see it on the schedule in January on the zaandam!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Some very kind and patient ladies taught us mahjong on our Hawaii cruise. They were so delighted my husband wanted to learn! He got me to come join in after a couple days. We’ve played each cruise since… usually teaching someone we were hanging out with onboard rather than trying to keep up with the more experienced players. I hope to see it on the schedule in January on the zaandam!

We had quite a few players on a R/T to HI from SD back in 2018 and there was this one lady who was great at cards but had never played MJ. She picked it up so fast I couldn't believe it!!! She loved it but there is no where for her to play it in her home town!! 😞

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tante1231 said:

Regarding Mah Jongg during our upcoming cruise (our first in 7 years), my card is packed!  Looking foward to meeting up with y'all on Sunday.  Save travels all. 

Eileen & Rich

Durham NC

You may want to post this on the R/C for your cruise.