Travel Authorization - Time to approval

Ottawa_Cruiser

Hi!

I know there is a lot of talk about Bermuda possibly dropping the TA, however, in an effort to be prepared, how long has it taken people to get their approval? The Bermuda Government site indicates to start it no later than two days before departure. Has it taken anyone longer to get approved? Hoping to stretch it to the last minute to possibly avoid paying the $40 x 5 people. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Hi!

I know there is a lot of talk about Bermuda possibly dropping the TA, however, in an effort to be prepared, how long has it taken people to get their approval? The Bermuda Government site indicates to start it no later than two days before departure. Has it taken anyone longer to get approved? Hoping to stretch it to the last minute to possibly avoid paying the $40 x 5 people. Thanks!

Most people seem to get their approval about 7 to 10 days before their cruise. Many have filed the application up to 30 days before, so it can take a while . I'm sure filing no more than a week before your cruise will be fine, particularly since there are fewer cruises going to Bermuda at that time of the year . With the announcement made today about discontinuing the need for testing effective October 25 they said the need for some type of paperwork and a decision about the $40 fee were still being worked on. I have to believe those details will be finalized fairly quickly.

My bottom line advice to you is don't do anything now. If the issue is still unresolved a week before your cruise then you probably should consider filing the paperwork at that time.

• Like 4

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220929/ta-form-to-be-phased-out-but-no-decision-on-fee/

Starting October 25th testing will no longer be required for vaccinated however, you will likely still have to fill out the form. When we went in May we filled out the first day possible and they sent out the approval 5 or 6 days prior to the cruise. 

• Like 1

We filled our TA request out 2 weeks prior to sailing, also like you, hoping the requirement would go away.  We had previously received TA within the last 2 years, therefore, did not have to resubmit the vaccination documents.  We did not hear back after 10 days, so called the toll free number and they sent the TA to me while I was on the phone.  Simple!

Just did the COVID test online (not required after 10/25) with OnPoint.  It was also very simple.  Waiting for our letter from them now.  Sail on Monday!

• Like 2

I completed our forms last week and just got the approvals today for our cruise this coming Sunday. So they work them in some order based on your sailing date. I think they plan to keep the application form and $40 fee. According to an article I read last week in the Royal Gazette, they're making $millions from the fee for the Government coffers and don't want to give it up.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, moposh said:

It's around until at least March 2023. 

Perhaps not. The linked article  in post #4 says it's going to be phased in over the next two months although no decision has been made on possible alternative paperwork or whether a fee will still be charged.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps not. The linked article  in post #4 says it's going to be phased in over the next two months although no decision has been made on possible alternative paperwork or whether a fee will still be charged.

Something I have read says March 2023.  I guess it's a fluid situation.

• Like 1

Just now, moposh said:

Something I have read says March 2023.  I guess it's a fluid situation.

Yes, March 2023 is what they've said in the past but they've apparently changed their tune this week after cruise lines cancelled their transatlantic port calls in Bermuda, which put a lot of political pressure on the government. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 12:05 AM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I completed our forms last week and just got the approvals today for our cruise this coming Sunday. So they work them in some order based on your sailing date. I think they plan to keep the application form and $40 fee. According to an article I read last week in the Royal Gazette, they're making $millions from the fee for the Government coffers and don't want to give it up.

I thought the $40.00 per/person fee replaced COVID vaccination & health protocols? You know... "Keeping the Bermudan population safe" LOL 😜

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, cellfree said:

Applied for our TAs October 4 - received mine October 12 and husbands today October 14 - cruising Sunday October 23. 

Thanks - we cruise the 29th, so I expect we'll get them early next week, if not late this week.