Cruise Ship Lifeboat Tour. What Life Saving Equipment Is Inside? How Much Food & Water?

Capt_BJ

19 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

In the US much of the SOLAS requirements have been written into the US Code (law) and this is what USCG enforces when they inspect a vessel. I say 'much' because (IME) there are places where the US has STRICTER rules than SOLAS. In general if a vessel wants to load passengers at a US port it MUST pass a USCG inspection of all these SOLAS - as encoded - standards. USCG jurisdiction on this point is IN the US .... and/or on US flag vessels.

On the other hand I know of a cruise line that's been around for a LONG time (I sailed 'em 20 years ago and they are still running) who no longer makes any US port calls 'cuz their ships will pass SOLAS but NOT the US 'enhancements' to SOLAS recommendations, as written into US Code and enforced by USCG . . .

Hate to disagree with you after approving of your previous posts on this thread, but here goes.  All of SOLAS has been incorporated into USC, as is required of all signatory nations.  However, SOLAS also states that the only time a signatory nation can impose stricter regulations on ships is for ships of its own flag.  As "Port State Control" agency for the US, the USCG is only allowed to ensure that SOLAS requirements are met, not any more restrictive USCG requirements.  So, no, the USCG cannot enforce the "enhancements" in the USC.

As for the cruise line that doesn't wish  to call on US ports, I would suspect that is more to do with the USPH VSP sanitation program, and its strict requirements, than any problem with USCG inspections.

What's my point? Not everyone 'enforces' these presumed rules. It is a responsibility of the flag state (the flag the ship sails under) but how many ACTUALLY check? A BUNCH of cruise ships are flagged Bahamas ... wanna guess how many inspectors they have? What authority?

And, while I agree that enforcement is different in different countries (one of the reasons for using flags of convenience), if a flag state does not wish to have a maritime inspection service of its own, it is allowed under SOLAS to delegate that authority to a classification society, who have many surveyors, all around the globe, not just in the flag nation.  Now, again, I will agree that enforcement is variable depending on the class society, they generally do the "easy stuff" like SOLAS compliance well.  And, just to be fair, while I believe US flag vessels to be among the safest in the world, I have seen a drastic reduction in competency in USCG inspectors over the last 3 decades, as you find young inspectors with no knowledge of merchant ship operations or equipment.  And, the USCG is desperately trying to get out of the marine inspection business, as their funding and focus moves more towards border security and drug interdiction, and are more and more leaning on the same class societies as other nations to inspect the ships.  The USCG has also looked at outsourcing licensing US mariners, to of all things, the maritime unions!

As an example of how a USCG inspector had no clue what he was looking at, on a twin screw, twin rudder RO/RO ship, the engine inspector asked me "why are the two steering gears so far apart?"  I had to explain that there were in fact 4 steering motors, and there were two on each rudder, and those rudders had to be that far apart.  In the same inspection, the deck inspectors tested the two steering motors on the starboard rudder, and none on the port rudder, and when I questioned this, they said "they'd seen all they need".  This was nearly 30 years ago, and it hasn't gotten better.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Hate to disagree with you after approving of your previous posts on this thread, but here goes.  All of SOLAS has been incorporated into USC, as is required of all signatory nations.  However, SOLAS also states that the only time a signatory nation can impose stricter regulations on ships is for ships of its own flag.  As "Port State Control" agency for the US, the USCG is only allowed to ensure that SOLAS requirements are met, not any more restrictive USCG requirements.  So, no, the USCG cannot enforce the "enhancements" in the USC.

As for the cruise line that doesn't wish  to call on US ports, I would suspect that is more to do with the USPH VSP sanitation program, and its strict requirements, than any problem with USCG inspections.

And, while I agree that enforcement is different in different countries (one of the reasons for using flags of convenience), if a flag state does not wish to have a maritime inspection service of its own, it is allowed under SOLAS to delegate that authority to a classification society, who have many surveyors, all around the globe, not just in the flag nation.  Now, again, I will agree that enforcement is variable depending on the class society, they generally do the "easy stuff" like SOLAS compliance well.  And, just to be fair, while I believe US flag vessels to be among the safest in the world, I have seen a drastic reduction in competency in USCG inspectors over the last 3 decades, as you find young inspectors with no knowledge of merchant ship operations or equipment.  And, the USCG is desperately trying to get out of the marine inspection business, as their funding and focus moves more towards border security and drug interdiction, and are more and more leaning on the same class societies as other nations to inspect the ships.  The USCG has also looked at outsourcing licensing US mariners, to of all things, the maritime unions!

As an example of how a USCG inspector had no clue what he was looking at, on a twin screw, twin rudder RO/RO ship, the engine inspector asked me "why are the two steering gears so far apart?"  I had to explain that there were in fact 4 steering motors, and there were two on each rudder, and those rudders had to be that far apart.  In the same inspection, the deck inspectors tested the two steering motors on the starboard rudder, and none on the port rudder, and when I questioned this, they said "they'd seen all they need".  This was nearly 30 years ago, and it hasn't gotten better.

Chief - It is very similar in Canada.

We had some exceptional Flag Inspectors, of similar calibre to those I experienced in UK. When they retired, we received new ones that came to Canada from other countries and knew nothing about passenger ships.

Once my crew completed servicing, testing and any repairs, I would call them for an inspection. At the start of the day, I asked how they would like to proceed, which was usually met by a blank look. Basically, I had to walk them through the entire process for each system, explain what was required and how we test. Since they all had Engineering backgrounds the Bridge charts & publications inspection was teaching them basic chart and publication corrections.

Prior to my retirement, we spent considerable money & resources on enhanced Bridge/Engine Room procedures and communication, implementing standardised procedures and a closed-loop communications. At the completion of a refit, the Flag Inspector was aboard to review the final crew drill, for which he requested an Engine Room fire. When the simulated fire was out of control, the Chief Engineer advised the Master and requested CO2 discharge, all using proper closed-loop communication. It was completed perfectly. At the debrief, the Flag Inspector was critical of the Bridge/Engine Room communications, as being too long winded. I just smiled and thanked him for his comments.

Transport Canada off-loaded commercial ship inspection to Class, even before I retired 10 yrs ago. The Class Surveyors were also at various levels of experience. The Lloyd's chaps were excellent with both the Engineering and Deck requirements, but the ABS chaps had limited knowledge of the Deck operation. However, I found them willing and quick to learn. During my last drydocking, I had one with me most days, as my crew serviced most of the systems. Spent a day on the Bridge showing him the chart/publications and how to do corrections. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We had some exceptional Flag Inspectors, of similar calibre to those I experienced in UK.

Andy;

When I started out, oh those many years ago, the USCG inspectors were all retired merchant ship Captains and Chiefs, with a sprinkling of very senior USCG Warrant Officers (almost all had over 20 years in the CG, the majority in marine inspection).  You used to have one deck and one engine inspector, now there are about 6 or so, and each one is only "qualified" to inspect certain things.

I've seen a marked downturn in competence of ABS surveyors as well.  DNV has impressed me for the most part, during my time with NCL.

• Like 1