Advice re Barcelona and Palm de Malllorca pre cruise and port of call plz

tusconcam

Hi, going on a May 1, 2023 12 night Spain,France, Italy cruise aboard Celebrity Edge. I am hoping for comments/ info/advice re "Hotel 1898" in Barcelona as my spouse and I pre May 1st cruise, will be staying there before our cruise. I am hoping for commentary about the hotel, its location, things nearby to do and the main things you'd recommend to check out in the city with 2 days in that location.

I'm also hoping for any suggestions for: Palma de Mallorca our first port stop.

We love architecture, history, vista's, walks in the towns...the usual but we are too worried about going it alone on a brand new (to us) independent guide/tour without some background.

If we found a Celebrity tour that incl a glimpse of the main city/town and nearby village(s) in/near Palma de Malllorca that would give us a feel for this port. (of course a tease to get us coming back) and make it easier to choose something to do there.

Wrt Barcelona: very excited and hope to get a bunch of suggestions of must sees while there

Thanks very much. 

Hotel 1898 is right off the Ramblas in a good location. There is plenty written about what to see in Barcelona that will keep you busy for more than two days.  Start with timed tickets to Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell.  From Hotel 1898 remember to go to the Boqueria for fruit juice and pastry for breakfast.  HOHO bus can be a good way to get around but plan on what you want to do and see.

Thanks all to who have replied. It looks like it will be Hotel 1898 for our stay over.

I especially like feedback about your experience there. 

The local transit options info is also helpful,  even if we may plan on the HOHO bus. 

Any recommended restos or hidden finds to note in that area?  Thnx 

2 hours ago, tusconcam said:

Thanks all to who have replied. It looks like it will be Hotel 1898 for our stay over.

I especially like feedback about your experience there. 

The local transit options info is also helpful,  even if we may plan on the HOHO bus. 

Any recommended restos or hidden finds to note in that area?  Thnx 

Oh, I wish I remember the name of the restaurant. From hotel 1898 go to the Ramblas, turn left and it was not far.  The kids were really impressed with the robot that delivered the food.

• 4 months later...

The city of Palma de Mallorca is a nice and pretty typical town.  And when we were there, on Oceania, there was a shuttle to the church near the waterfront on the big curve that is Palma.  But what I found much more interesting/charming was a couple towns we visited outside of Palma.  Valdemossa was one and i forget the name of the other.  But you'll likely have to take an excursion from the ship or third  party vendor like Viator or Trip Advisor to see them.  We rented a car and drove around, which was wonderful.  But that may be better for people with more experience in doing their own thing.

Valdemossa was one and i forget the name of the other.  But you'll likely have to take an excursion from the ship or third  party vendor like Viator or Trip Advisor to see them. 

Can travel to Valdemossa by public bus or taxi. It isn't a long journey. Guesstimating no more than a half hour or so depending on traffic, but the city itself has much to offer with no need to go out of town on a first visit. 

OP you said we are too worried about going it alone on a brand new (to us) independent guide/tour without some background.

That "background" is very easily found, you only need to do some pre-trip homework to find everything you need to spend a lovely day doing what interests YOU most, not others. The official  visitpalma website has much info and many suggestions for visiting so you should start with that one.  They even have suggested itineraries for 1/2/3 day visits which you might find helpful.  And others including Tripadvisor for inspiration and images. And post#4 above gives the link to the CC thread  with info specific to Palma.

We love architecture, history, vista's, walks in the towns.

Palma offers all of that so do your homework/research, loosely plan your day around your personal interests and enjoy your day without worrying about going out alone. And manylocals in Palma speak english which is an extra bonus if, like us, you have no knowledge of Spanish.

Edited by edinburgher

We love architecture, history, vista's, walks in the towns.

I should have pointed out that post #4 above has a link to the excellent thread which Roger b keeps up to date.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697012-palma-de-mallorca-diy-new/page/6/#comment-62640735

Once on that thread, look at page #1, post #5 for info on walks with  architectural themes.

Edited by edinburgher