World Cup Football on Cunard

Se1lad

I was on QM2 in May for a trans-atlantic and since the Premier league standings were pretty tight at the top, I thought they would show the games in the Golden Lion pub.  No such luck;  I asked the bar tender and he said they only get one sports channel and it's programmed from leadership, so he can't change the channel.  I guess enough people must have complained so that the next day, they curtailed the scheduled entertainment duo to show the game on all the screens in the pub.  The next day, they did the same but actually listed the game in the daily newsletter.  There was a large crowd and the games were exciting.  I would THINK that the world cup games would be shown, at least in the pub and the theater would be a great idea!  But, no guarantees since things appear to have changed from prior years.  You might want to start advocating with the Purser's desk as soon as you board!

@Se1lad

I can't answer your question directly, but I'm a big football (soccer) fan and I wouldn't get on any cruise ship during the World Cup, given that the games are so important for me. Satellite TV reception is unpredictable at sea, and in some places nonexistent. We were on the QE this past July and August during the Women's Euro Cup, and not a single one of the games---including the England-Germany final---was available anywhere on the ship. To add to the frustration, there were daily announcements that the games would be shown live in the Golden Lion, and then you'd go there and the TV screens would all say "Programming Unavailable." Enjoy the games at home.

• Like 1

I know they didn't televise any in May but that may be because they weren't playing then.  I'm trying to remember on prior Cunard voyages and I don't think I ever saw NFL or MLB games in the pub; they would show soccer, tennis, darts, and some others.

Interestingly, I was on HAL's Nieuw Statendam in July/August and they showed the women's Euro final between England & Germany on the big screen by the pool.  It must have been a last minute decision because it wasn't listed in the daily newsletter but they made an announcement;  big crowd watching. And I bet they sold a lot more drinks than usual!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

Interestingly, I was on HAL's Nieuw Statendam in July/August and they showed the women's Euro final between England & Germany on the big screen by the pool.  It must have been a last minute decision because it wasn't listed in the daily newsletter but they made an announcement;  big crowd watching. And I bet they sold a lot more drinks than usual!!

I was thinking it could be an opportunity to sell more drinks!  

25 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

@Se1lad

I can't answer your question directly, but I'm a big football (soccer) fan and I wouldn't get on any cruise ship during the World Cup, given that the games are so important for me. Satellite TV reception is unpredictable at sea, and in some places nonexistent. We were on the QE this past July and August during the Women's Euro Cup, and not a single one of the games---including the England-Germany final---was available anywhere on the ship. To add to the frustration, there were daily announcements that the games would be shown live in the Golden Lion, and then you'd go there and the TV screens would all say "Programming Unavailable." Enjoy the games at home.

This is a cruise that was already rescheduled twice due to Covid, so I’m not moving it again!  🙂

• Like 1

We were on during the last World Cup.

It was indeed on in the cinema and golden lion, and many other places.

We are on the round trip from England to the Caribbean from November 13th.

On the way from New York to the Caribbean England beat the USA, Sorry play the USA😁

Good fun should be had by all.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Holidaying on/in a tin can with seemingly wall to wall football? 

Nightmare!  😒

Especially when , apparently, lots more drinks have been sold. Many/most passengers may not have much interest in football. They may prefer the quizzes and music and other things that go on in the Golden Lion.

• Like 1

On QE in Aug/Sept, the football was shown in the Garden Room, I remember the Liverpool game being on one evening when the Newfoundland Duo were playing in there - If it's on Sport24 then they will show it - I was mainly US open tennis though.

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Especially when , apparently, lots more drinks have been sold. Many/most passengers may not have much interest in football. They may prefer the quizzes and music and other things that go on in the Golden Lion.

Playing all 4 daily matches in the Golden Lion during the Group Stages would seem excessive, however one daily seems reasonable- premiership matches have always seemed popular when shown there previously.  If they keep it to one match daily it will still allow plenty of time for other daily activities in the pub!

• Like 2