Another Mariner Alaska September 21, 2022 Thread

ChucktownSteve

Hi, I didn't want to step on Crusin7's excellent thread but wanted to add some photos I thought you may enjoy.

While some people had a nightmare embarking which took them 2 hours, we took an Uber to the port.  We tried to take a taxi but for some reason they were all lined up at the pier waiting and wouldn't come to the hotel.  Thus my first time using Uber.  Less than $10can.  I'll use them again.

Since we got there early, we zipped through embarkation.  We waited 1/2 and hour in chairs...we were 7 & 8th in line. I'm glad I read previous threads where people took separate transportation instead of the bus.

This is one of the top two cruises we've taken in 30 years, well except for all the Alaska rain and fog.  Food is excellent.So are our cabin attendants and butler.

One night we shared a table with another couple who we've befriended.  He was saying he wished he had peach pie instead of the two offerings they had that night.  I suggested he ask for peach pie. The worst that would happen is they'd say sorry.  We'll after a couple of trips back and forth, Benjie said they would have peach pie for us tomorrow.  OMG was it sooooo good. It didn't have the usual thin filling. It was so dense and flavorful.  Thank you Benjie and the Chef!  Best I've ever eaten.

Well we were having dinner with that couple of few nights later when Benji stopped by.  We asked if there was any peach pie left. He said no, but come back tomorrow.  WHAM another round of fantastic peach pie.  How many other cruise lines would be so accommodating?

We were able to acquire two Prime 7 and two Chartreuse reservations.

Here are some photos

This is the Seafood Plateau offered in Prime 7. Shrimp, lobster, crab leg and snow crab claws. Cruise Critic posted this one out of order.

s738481396_!!!Prime7SeafoodPlateau2022-09-2219_07_20.thumb.jpg.038c54f3643f9b884de7c520b51561d4.jpg

We had a very nice room in the Fairmont Vancouver. When I looked outside our window and saw both Tiffany's and Cartier across the street, I locked my DW in the room.  J/K.  I really loved the fact that we left the bags in the room, went to the supplied breakfast then came back to missing luggage. We found them once we got to our cabin. lol

!!!Locked wife in room to keep from going to stores 2022-09-21 07.48.50.jpg

Here we were sailing away from Vancouver.

!!!Sailing out of Vancouver 2022-09-21 19.01.37.jpg

Sailing out of Ketchikan

!!!Sailing out of Ketchikan 2022-09-23 17.34.17.jpg

Sailing into Juneau

!!!sailing into Juneau 2022-09-24 10.27.01.jpg

Window shopping in Juneau.  I didn't see anyone buying these. But I did see several people walking around in shorts and t-shirt.  Too cold for my liking.

!!!Furkini Juneau 2022-09-24 14.39.50.jpg

We did the taste of Sitka which included a salmon lunch and beer tasting. Afterwards the chef showed his filleting talents on this white King Salmon.  It was a very good fish.

!!!Sitka !!!salmon excursion King White 2022-09-26 12.08.20.jpg

The menu

!!!Taste of Sitka salmon excursion menu 2022-09-26 12.07.03.jpg

The specially prepared peach pie times two!  What an unexpected treat.

!!!Specially made peach pie 2022-09-28 20.12.45.jpg

Sailing into Hubbard Glacier.  The 30 second video I posted on Crusin7's thread with the glacier calving.

!!!sailing into Hubbard Glacier 2022-09-25 11.49.23.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 4

Nice to know what hotel Regent utilized at Vancouver.  We have celebrated several wedding anniversaries at The Fairmont Hotel.  One of Vancouver's landmarks. 

Hopefully, will be "assigned" to The Fairmont next September in anticipation (fourth try) to cruise to Tokyo via Explorer.  

Depending on the weather--we plan to walk from Fairmont to the Pier.  Only a few (7 or 😎 blocks.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Can you guess what happened to our OBC????  Mary Francis.  (OOPS: I must be the typical male. Anyone notice I placed the cocktail bag upside down. rofl)

It's called making a deposit in my DW's emotional bank account so I can take the debits which I am sure to need. 😀

!!!Mary Francis butterfly purses.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

These are pictures from the Ketchikan Alaskan Lodge Adventure and Seafeast excursion.

It ended with a crab boil pot dumped onto the center of the table.  I didn't take the picture.  It had crab legs, clams, kielbasa, sausage, potatoes and corn on the cob.It was a real hands on meal.

If you look at the octopus picture; the tentacle to the right is pointing to a huge fallen tree root ball.  It still becomes part of the echo system and other growth takes over in this rain rich Forrest.

Look through the window and you'll see the waves crashing up against the boat.

image.thumb.png.edae864e35a69877908e99e804e7e631.png

2022-09-23 11.39.15.jpg

2022-09-23 11.23.46.jpg

2022-09-23 11.23.56.jpg

2022-09-23 10.59.48-1.jpg

2022-09-23 11.51.51-1.jpg

2022-09-23 11.31.45.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:48 AM, GOARMY said:

Nice to know what hotel Regent utilized at Vancouver.  We have celebrated several wedding anniversaries at The Fairmont Hotel.  One of Vancouver's landmarks. 

Hopefully, will be "assigned" to The Fairmont next September in anticipation (fourth try) to cruise to Tokyo via Explorer.  

Depending on the weather--we plan to walk from Fairmont to the Pier.  Only a few (7 or 😎 blocks.

GOARMY!

Regent seemed to have used two Fairmonts last month...the Fairmont and the Fairmont Waterfront, right across from the cruise terminal.....even easier walk.