Use of vouchers before cruise

OKCowboy

We booked all excursions, gratuities, and silver spirits; however, we still have $$$ available as vouchers. When I check out the outstanding amounts it indicates they must be used prior to boarding the ship. It states only credits can be transferred to on board accounts. Is this true? We were hoping to spend some on board for haircuts and pedicures/manicures.

9 minutes ago, OKCowboy said:

We booked all excursions, gratuities, and silver spirits; however, we still have $$$ available as vouchers. When I check out the outstanding amounts it indicates they must be used prior to boarding the ship. It states only credits can be transferred to on board accounts. Is this true? We were hoping to spend some on board for haircuts and pedicures/manicures.

Yes, unfortunately that’s the case. 

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

When you get onboard, cancel the bookings and they will refund to your credit card.

Mikey, though I don't have any experience to base it on, I worry about that suggestion. Folks might be suggesting it but does anyone know if it actually works?

Viking is very good at keeping track of refundable and non-refundable funds. Vouchers that have to be spent in advance of sailing are non-refundable and my gut says that turning them into shore excursions will not turn them into refundable transactions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking is very good at keeping track of refundable and non-refundable funds. Vouchers that have to be spent in advance of sailing are non-refundable and my gut says that turning them into shore excursions will not turn them into refundable transactions.

Here’s what happened in our case.

We had to spend a bunch of voucher money before boarding our cruise last month, which we managed to do.

But during the cruise, several excursions got canceled due to the Queen’s death and to weather (2 missed ports). The money for our canceled excursions went to shipboard credit, not a refund, and we had to spend it by the end of the cruise. (DH got several massages and we both made multiple trips to the ship’s shops.)

I don’t know what happens if you cancel excursions yourself, but I assume they too would turn into shipboard credit if they were initially paid for via voucher. Maybe ask a Viking rep?

Edited by Twitchly

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Mikey, though I don't have any experience to base it on, I worry about that suggestion. Folks might be suggesting it but does anyone know if it actually works?

You are likely correct (as usual).  But it's better than just losing the $.  I will make a note to ask onboard on my Nov sailing.

Twitchly suggestion about asking a Viking rep sounds good, but......I don't think I need to go on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OKCowboy said:

Well I spent some voucher $$ on Silver Spirits, extension, and excursions, but still have some left. Can't spend on Spa so there are relatively few options available. Oh well, I'll drink well. 

You can pre-pay the standard staff gratuities.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, OKCowboy said:

@Twitchly

See original post.

• Like 1