End cruise early in Zeebrugge (Brussels), Belgium

Sailing Carnival Pride May 28, 2023, Barcelona to London.  Final stop is Zeebrugge, a day before reaching Dover (London).  I'd like to disembark there and stay in Belgium.  Has anyone ever done this?  I called Carnival and they were very quick to say "we can't keep you from getting off, so just tell security a day ahead of time."

I know arrangements need to be made with locals immigration, as well as amending the cruise manifest.  I know Royal has recently ended the option to disembark early, but likely under the auspices of Covid.  Carnival rep was too quick to tell me "yes", so I'm a bit worried.

I have few time left the cruise the night before final destination. Not possible when the cruise is started in a US port but possible if ‘outside’ the US.

Barcelona is in Schengen and I do not see any problems in  leaving the ship in another Schengen port.
When I did leave the cruise before final destination I did get the ‘Yes’ in writing.
However not a problem from an Schengen immigration point of view.

Edited by hallasm

Thanks.  Called Carnival a 3rd time to try to break the tie.  They started quoting Jones Act and I exaplained that it's a European cruise.  They came back and said "Carnival doesn't allow it, but if you disembark you'll have to handle immigration on your own."  Frustrating!  Maybe I need to speak with the port personnel.  

12 minutes ago, JAMESFALLETTA said:

They started quoting Jones Act and I exaplained that it's a European cruise.  They came back and said "Carnival doesn't allow it, but if you disembark you'll have to handle immigration on your own." 

I don't think the  Carnival representative you spoke to knows what he was talking about when he refers to the Jones Act - If the ship has only been in Schengen ports since Barcelona, immigration should not be a problem since you have entered Schengen and remain in Schengen.

However, I can immediately imagine that it could cause problems upon ship arrival in the UK if you are still on the ship's list as a passenger - therefore it is important that your disembarkation is coordinated with the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

OP: Have you also asked your question in the Carnival forum? Others there may have had experience dealing with the same situation with Carnival, even if different ports. It’s hard to imagine you can do this without the ship’s consent and likely arrangements with the relevant port authority. Good luck!  

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be very wary of any immediately offered answer from the head office of Carnival, or indeed the head office of any cruise line, on matters such as passport validity, visas, embarking at a later port or disembarking at an earlier one, because its unreasonable to expect a head office employee to know the ins & outs in every country their ships visit.

Beware of the "The answer's no, now what's the question?" syndrome.

You really need a definitive answer from them - in writing, so best if you ask by e-mail, not phone.

Zeebrugge is an international port, so both immigration and customs officers are there if needed. Since you are coming from another Schengen country you shouldn't need them, and your departure from Schengen will be noted at your final departure point - even if that's, say, Paris or Barcelona.

But I'm only a barrack-room expert.

When arrangements for jumping-ship have been agreed by other cruise lines in other European ports, it's normally involved a requirement that you & your luggage leave the ship in the morning & don't return. Some cruise lines charge a small fee.

If you still get no definitive reply, I can only suggest that on the evening before Zeebrugge you approach the captain in the MDR, plant a big kiss on his lips, grab him by his wedding vegetables and say "My, what a big boy you are". That should guarantee that you can disembark next morning, and the crew will even help by tossing your belongings onto the pier.😏

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...