Semi-Live - Discovery - CA Coastal - Oct 1, 2022

cruzin4us

27 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

I used to really like the shrimp salad and the chicken cashew salad that they had in the International Cafe.  In the pictures that I have seen of the food there lately, I don't seem to see these items.  If you get a chance, could you look for me?  Thank you and have a wonderful time.  I agree with you about the Promenade deck.  Those lifeboats are terrible and it is so narrow that it would not be a pleasant place to walk or stand and look out at the sea.

Me too, but haven't seen it for quite awhile.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

I used to really like the shrimp salad and the chicken cashew salad that they had in the International Cafe.  In the pictures that I have seen of the food there lately, I don't seem to see these items.  If you get a chance, could you look for me?  Thank you and have a wonderful time.  I agree with you about the Promenade deck.  Those lifeboats are terrible and it is so narrow that it would not be a pleasant place to walk or stand and look out at the sea.

We are also on this cruise. I had the “ Chicken Waldorf Salad” from the International Cafe, and it was cubed chicken with celery and cashews and a mayonnaise dressing. Blah! I didn’t notice a shrimp salad nor if there was cheese on all the sandwiches, but I’ll look tonight and report back. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Californian said:

Look forward to following along with you.

When you have time, I would be interested in knowing if/where they show sports at any of the bars on board.  Thanks!

We were on Discovery 9/18 to 9/25 - they showed two Sunday NFL games on the movie under the stars on lido deck and on Monday night also.  On  Thursday night football they played that in the Vista Lounge Deck 7.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Another request, if possible, could you please post the wine list, I'm only interested in the Chardonnay's but others would prob like to see the whole list.

the wine "list" is terrible and I mean terrible and I am not a wine snob, though I do not drink Chardonnay.  

3 hours ago, Crystabel said:

We are also on this cruise. I had the “ Chicken Waldorf Salad” from the International Cafe, and it was cubed chicken with celery and cashews and a mayonnaise dressing. Blah! I didn’t notice a shrimp salad nor if there was cheese on all the sandwiches, but I’ll look tonight and report back. 

Thank you for checking to see if there is a cheese free sandwich.

Well, dinner was kinda blah tonight.  The sesame chicken bites were on par with McDonalds, Bahamian Pea Soup was very good and the Pan Seared Striped Corvina was ok.   Probably should have ordered the Prime Rib but after the nice beef medallion last night I thought I should go the lighter route and go with fish.  I ate a little and then headed to the buffet where the Special was Indian food.   I have to say it was really good and a large variety of choices.   (Forgot to take a picture).  

As I’m eating my way thru the cruise, I stopped and got 2 scoops of freshly made gelato for $2.50.   It was tasty, I got pistachio and salted caramel.  

Tomorrow, I’ll check out the menu and if nothing strikes my fancy, I may go to the Gastro Pub and get a hamburger. 

Today SF was clear and sunny.  The wind picked up in the afternoon and it got quite chilly.  Most people got off the ship so I was able to wander around and explore.  

It was a relaxing day for me

ACDF1D99-477F-4654-B249-4E945654067E.jpeg

65F6377D-4CC5-4708-9CAC-A87B51A6E171.jpeg

2C5EE0BC-8F04-425B-9809-BC7D38AA38BE.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donswife said:

Thanks for your report,  is getting me primed for November. What section of the promenade is this? Was it open to walk on?

This was about midship looking aft.  I think I was outside Princess Live area when I snapped this photo

The promenade is open to walk on, but it’s narrow in some areas and wider in others.  There is a smoking area on both the starboard and port sides (aft).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crystabel said:

they also don’t have the fennel shrimp salad which was my favorite.  I did see a couple of salads today but I didn’t try them.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NownZen said:

Those pictures are certainly reason for me to stay off the Discovery. A real promenade deck is important to me.

I was booked for the Diamond, with a nice wide promenade, but when it got cancelled took a move-over offer that was too good to pass up. I am happy there is more promenade available on the Discovery than I expected.

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@cruzin4usif it’s not too much trouble when you have time could you please check at the international café and see if they have any sandwiches without cheese? I have a dairy allergy so this is a real sore spot with me. I have been told several times that they had nothing without cheese or other dairy (Cream) and that I had to wait until the next day to eat in the dining room.  Bread does not affect me so a sandwich with meat and veggies would be great. Also, lots of people don’t even like cheese.  Thank so much!  

I will definitely check.  They have more variety than I remember in the past but me being a cheese lover I’ve never looked to see if there are sandwiches that are cheese/dairy free.   I’ll probably make a midnight run so I’ll check them out.   Have you tried their pot pies?   They are pretty good but probably should make sure they don’t have cheese.   They had the lentil vegetarian and a hamburger one today and yesterday it was chicken.   Don’t know if they added cream to the chicken one.   I’ll report back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, san diego spartan said:

the wine "list" is terrible and I mean terrible and I am not a wine snob, though I do not drink Chardonnay.  

We were on two earlier cruises on the Discovery with another coming up--DW and I were talking about the wine selection today-Since there is no Vines, they seem to have gotten rid of any real wine choices. Our word would be pathetic! Only one or two white and a couple of red.

1 minute ago, triple7tahoe said:

We were on two earlier cruises on the Discovery with another coming up--DW and I were talking about the wine selection today-Since there is no Vines, they seem to have gotten rid of any real wine choices. Our word would be pathetic! Only one or two white and a couple of red.

Yup totally agree with Triple7tahoe.  Very little, if any variety and the choices are pretty basic - like red or white - that's it.  I had seen a drink menu that was posted from the 1st sailing of Discovery and there were more choices, but not for our cruise.  As I enjoy drinking wine and this is my vacation, I was very disappointed.  I presume Vines is a wine bar that is not on the Discovery?  That was something (if that is what it is) that was sorely lacking.  Also, I also noticed that there was not a lot of craft brews on board (though I did not seek them out and perhaps the Salty Dog had some).  I'm so used to living in San Diego that craft brews are everywhere. 

17 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I will definitely check.  They have more variety than I remember in the past but me being a cheese lover I’ve never looked to see if there are sandwiches that are cheese/dairy free.   I’ll probably make a midnight run so I’ll check them out.   Have you tried their pot pies?   They are pretty good but probably should make sure they don’t have cheese.   They had the lentil vegetarian and a hamburger one today and yesterday it was chicken.   Don’t know if they added cream to the chicken one.   I’ll report back

12 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Thank you so much! I can’t have cheese, milk, cream, or butter.  I usually can’t have any salad dressing either unless it’s balsamic or oil and vinegar and sometimes honey mustard is safe.  Food allergies stink.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

7 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Another request, if possible, could you please post the wine list, I'm only interested in the Chardonnay's but others would prob like to see the whole list.

Hopefully these are in order.   They are off the menu from the dining room.   

CE2CA878-36F4-47E7-A694-E5E291B2C3E1.png

5A7B3291-85B3-4DF4-A77A-FFA7E1DCC316.png

CCBB76BB-EF8B-4791-9A7D-E707A4B22054.png

8041913F-1C88-4E33-9F89-BF23B9EA15F6.png

E2DAEE0F-9451-4189-B9B6-6EBF8D4BA798.png

3008FE2C-3CA7-4D3C-9F5C-9FC79365710A.png

ADDA6AF4-7A53-415B-8602-E7EC830A4625.png

2BCA1DFD-E243-4D43-8F5D-6B6A666C9CDC.png

5534B489-8933-4A5B-B2F7-E832DC177D17.png

F61C515F-E9BE-41A7-82A9-BE4BAA0F0C4A.png

873ED6B3-6E28-43C3-8330-DC7B0CD7ACDF.png

99E7E234-350C-41B9-A28D-36B6E4379285.png

• Like 2

Thank you for taking time out of your cruise to post your experience.  I'm curious how the wifi has been.  We sailed on the Grand in March and the wifi was amazing, but the Ruby just last month really sucked!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

5 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Thank you for taking time out of your cruise to post your experience.  I'm curious how the wifi has been.  We sailed on the Grand in March and the wifi was amazing, but the Ruby just last month really sucked!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Yeah, we were on the Ruby in June (Alaska) and it did really suck......not sure it was because we were in Alaska or it's just the Ruby.   We'll know better when we go to Hawaii in November.   

So far the wifi has been great, but then again we are cruising the coast of California.   I'm heading to the Mexican Riviera next so I'll have to see if it stays that way.   I only have an issue with switching between devices (technically challenged here 🙂

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

Yeah, we were on the Ruby in June (Alaska) and it did really suck......not sure it was because we were in Alaska or it's just the Ruby.   We'll know better when we go to Hawaii in November.   

So far the wifi has been great, but then again we are cruising the coast of California.   I'm heading to the Mexican Riviera next so I'll have to see if it stays that way.   I only have an issue with switching between devices (technically challenged here 🙂

A friend and I will be on the cruise going out this Saturday. Looking at your photos it gives me an idea of what to expect.

I feel sorry for MsSoCalCruiser with their food allergy. I too have a food allergy which is very rare though. I'm allergic to black pepper. Virgin was wonderful about helping me work around that without missing out on any foods. All of their food is cooked to order. I will be interested to see how Princess handles this. Carnival was horrible about it. Celebrity and NCL were pretty good and previous cruises with Princess were hit or miss. I usually take Benadryl before a meal just to be safe. 

13 hours ago, donswife said:

I was booked for the Diamond, with a nice wide promenade, but when it got cancelled took a move-over offer that was too good to pass up. I am happy there is more promenade available on the Discovery than I expected.

The Promenade deck on the Discovery does not "wrap around" the bow or stern. You can only walk in the areas indicated between the red lines.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.20.28 AM.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, milogurd said:

The Promenade deck on the Discovery does not "wrap around" the bow or stern. You can only walk in the areas indicated between the red lines.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.20.28 AM.png

Those "hook" shapes at the bottom (by the Vista Lounge) are really nice, quiet areas. A couple of loungers are available for watching the wake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2