Semi-Live - Discovery - CA Coastal - Oct 1, 2022

cruzin4us

Random food pics.  The internet has been horrid.  

the cruise this week is much different than last week.   The ship is packed to the gills and it’s a younger rowdy crowd.   I’ve seen people screaming at each other and treating the crew badly.   Makes me embarrassed.  The lines for the tender were huge so I gave up on getting off in Cabo.  I even saw a man blow his nose into a beach towel (I about lost it).  

the buffet was so packed I could only manage to grab 2 sausage links and some bok Choy (yes, bok Choy for breakfast….Lol).  There was no place to sit so I just went to the IC. 

@MsSoCalCruiser the last few times I’ve been to the IC, they have been offering a couple of sandwiches without cheese (tuna, egg and a meat/lettuce/tomato).  Not sure if they would make you one if you stood there and waited.  I’ve seen them bring in cart loads of sandwiches from the kitchen.   

Still no fennel salad. In fact yesterday and today there were no salads, just sandwiches.  

FB261900-1025-48DC-AA06-3F2290779C0F.jpeg

68E95574-3816-4200-BE61-241D00D210BC.jpeg

0A9642AC-B3EB-41DA-84C2-03E8592D251C.jpeg

FF921D67-89B7-47A1-93F2-22D420C00BA7.jpeg

5610AA2D-A2EF-486F-82A5-2FA44C25C28D.jpeg

1FB777ED-33A0-4CBA-9911-3DA8C87B70D6.jpeg

355BA9F4-A5C3-4FE9-A468-28C0A79A9F1A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2022 at 7:48 PM, donswife said:

My DH is very excited about the SDG burger! Are they open for lunch or only dinner?

Thanks 

I’ve only seen it open from 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm.   If they opened on a random day, I missed it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

@cruzin4us Again thanks for your posts, do you know what dining options were open for lunch on embarkation day? I know one dining room and the buffet but what about the Salty Dog Gastropub and Gigi’s Pizzeria? Thanks again!

The Gastro Pub is not open for lunch on any day (I checked).   Gigi’s (Alfredo’s) is open as well as one of the main dining rooms (I think it was Skagway).  Of course zoo buffet was also open 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

any chocolate events? sometimes they have them last sea day in the afternoon at the buffet.

I haven’t noticed, but truthfully I haven’t looked for it.   If I see/hear of one I’ll report back.   But after today, I’m avoiding the buffet Iike the plague 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CruisefunSAN said:

How bad is the internet? Can you still check email etc.? 

It’s been real bad.   I was able to check my emails, but I got a slew come through today when we got to Cabo.   
Checking FB for instance didn’t work nor did cruise critic 

• Like 1

Tendering off the ship was horrible for those getting off that weren’t either elite or on excursions.   People were lined up in the halls.   I think it took about 2.5 to 3 hours before there wasn’t a line.   Tendering on larger ship capacity  cruises is not for those that are impatient.    If you plan private excursions, you need to take this into consideration as there is no rushing it.  

I think there are a lot of new cruisers on this ship as the Mexican Riviera trip tends to be one of the cheaper ones to go on so almost everyone wanted off the ship.   

The weather was hot today with a breeze.   It was nice in the shade but quickly got hot in the sun.    

I really want to stress how hard the crew works to please.   They are nothing but kind and hard working.    Remember a smile and a “thank you” goes a long way for them too

• Like 9

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Oh, for those interested.    The burgers in the Gastro Pub are made of short rib and prime rib meat.   They really are good!

Do you know if couples are allowed to purchase one $18.00 meal and share?  We would be just as happy to each get 1/2 of their burgers.  We just had a grandson and are trying to stay healthy to be around for him since we are in our 60's,  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I really want to stress how hard the crew works to please.   They are nothing but kind and hard working.    Remember a smile and a “thank you” goes a long way for them too

Thank you--this cannot be stressed too much, especially since the restart, I have not met a single crew member who wasn't so kind & helpful...& so many are new & working so hard to learn everything they need to know ... if I didn't sail Princess for any other reason, I would want to sail for the crew

• Like 5

On 10/4/2022 at 6:32 AM, Wildcatllamas said:

A friend and I will be on the cruise going out this Saturday. Looking at your photos it gives me an idea of what to expect.

I feel sorry for MsSoCalCruiser with their food allergy. I too have a food allergy which is very rare though. I'm allergic to black pepper. Virgin was wonderful about helping me work around that without missing out on any foods. All of their food is cooked to order. I will be interested to see how Princess handles this. Carnival was horrible about it. Celebrity and NCL were pretty good and previous cruises with Princess were hit or miss. I usually take Benadryl before a meal just to be safe. 

I am also allergic to black pepper and they have always cooked my food to order, even in specialty restaurants.  Could that be why I have an assigned table in MDR (6 cruises since restart on 3 ships)? 

• Like 2

Are reseverations needed for the GastroPub?  I don't see them on the app.  Is it something that needs to be done onboard?  

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your cruise.  It is really helpful for all us future Discovery cruisers.

4 hours ago, bbunch04 said:

Are reseverations needed for the GastroPub?  I don't see them on the app.  Is it something that needs to be done onboard?  

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your cruise.  It is really helpful for all us future Discovery cruisers.

no reservations are taken.   I usually go fairly early and I have no wait.   It gets a bit busy around 7:00.  

Today we stopped in Mazatlan.  In case you are looking for souvenirs, Mazatlan is much cheaper than Puerto Vallarta.   It’s a quick little free people mover that takes you to the shops.   It’s bloody hot and humid here, so I didn’t last long and then I headed back to the ship.  It’s also a lot nicer not having to deal with the tenders.  

I ate at Gigi’s for lunch and it was amazing but I forgot to take pics but I’ll be going back.   I ordered the meat antipasti and the eggplant stuffed with Angel hair pasta and covered with a marinara sauce.   I also indulged in some veal stuffed pasta (ravioli) with a sage cream sauce.   I devoured every bite with gusto.   That was the first really hot meal I’ve had on this trip.  Most meals (buffet included) have been lukewarm at best.   

741BA0A2-280A-4252-8BCC-7274F5ACA517.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The IC no longer will be having the small salads.  They have a multitude of sandwiches and some desserts.  I was informed of this yesterday.   Not sure about other shops, but that’s the case with the Discovery. 

Today we are in Puerto Vallarta. Weather is hot and humid.  I asked my room steward (Ronald) if he wanted/needed anything….also asked a couple of the drink servers.   They all responded “no, I’m going there tomorrow”.   With no one wanting anything, I decided to just stay on board.  

I think the Diamond might be anchored off shore.  Took the picture from my balcony.  

it’s definitely a louder, younger, crazy crowd this week.  Elevators are always packed.   I only see a random mask wearer.   Not nearly as many mask wearers as last week.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m still having fun but it’s just a much different experience than last week

6F396930-C5E9-4225-9EB6-D9623F2C9BDE.jpeg

162C1B07-1843-49F1-A707-BCD15AFDF93C.jpeg

04459F02-9E02-489C-90AB-DF2C9EDA0D43.jpeg

• Like 4

One of my favorite things about cruising is meeting new people.   I’ve been fortunate to meet some awesome people and have exchanged many laughs.  I’ve had no problem cruising as a solo and it’s easy to fit right in.  I met a wonderful woman yesterday that is 86 and is traveling solo.  She has more energy than most people half her age.   I want to be just like her when I’m 86.  

I’m off to wander around the ship and take some pics now that the masses have gotten off.  

• Like 10