Day-by-Day account of our recent Viking Jupiter (Viking Homelands) cruise

SailorPaulH

On 10/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, Iloveketo said:

If you are a steak 🥩 lover, try a cruise on one of the Vikings Expedition ships! The steaks available on a daily basis at the World Cafe were incredible! Better than Manfredi’s!

We are currently on the Octantis and have eaten at the Grill in the World Cafe almost every night and it is outstanding. Steaks, Chops, Lobster, and the grilled Swordfish is amazing. I wish the bigger Viking ships would incorporate this feature into their dining offerings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gbldcl said:

We are currently on the Octantis and have eaten at the Grill in the World Cafe almost every night and it is outstanding. Steaks, Chops, Lobster, and the grilled Swordfish is amazing. I wish the bigger Viking ships would incorporate this feature into their dining offerings.

I agree!
Did you get to do the sub? We didn’t see much in Georgian Bay, but it was still quite an experience. I slipped in the little pool and messed up my knee so we missed out our kayak experience. We loved the special operations boat.
So glad we were able to experience the ship!

Enjoy the Octantis! 

17 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

I agree!
Did you get to do the sub? We didn’t see much in Georgian Bay, but it was still quite an experience. I slipped in the little pool and messed up my knee so we missed out our kayak experience. We loved the special operations boat.
So glad we were able to experience the ship!

Enjoy the Octantis! 

No subs this cruise, but kayaks, zodiacs, and special ops boats running a couple of days.

• Like 1

DAY 12 - 9/21/22, Stavanger (Norway)

After a Room Service breakfast, and some early morning walking the Promenade on Deck 2, DW went for a pre-booked massage and I worked out in the Fitness Center. The Spa/Fitness Center is one of my favorite areas on the ship.

We were due to dock in Stavanger at Noon, so I was able to take some photos as Captain Larsen spun the ship around and reverse parked next to another cruise ship.

After lunch at World Cafe, we set out on an optional excursion, "Pulpit Rock Cruise" along the Lysefjorden on a smaller tour boat. Again forecasts of rain were wrong and we had a sunny day - comfortable despite the wind encountered on the fjord. As can be surmised from the title of the excursion, we were to get the sea level perspective and view of Preikestolen (The Pulpit Rock) - a steep cliff nearly 2,000 feet above the water. The flat top of this rock formation is an attraction to hikers and is one of Norway's most visited natural tourist attractions. From our perspective, the formation looked small giving a real perspective to the distance and height of the cliff face from us. Our Danish guide (a resident in Norway) was very informative throughout the entire tour. If you are able to reserve early enough, you have less costly alternatives to this tour by booking independently of Viking.

Dinner at The Restaurant involved some average steaks that we didn't finish, so we decided to move to World Cafe for a little extra food. We have had much better results with steak at the World Cafe than at The Restaurant or Manfredi's on our cruise (that's just our experience).

20220921_111646.jpg

20220921_154853.jpg

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

• Like 4

DAY 13 - 9/22/22, Flam (Norway)

I was up early to witness the twilight sail in to Flam - the small village at the end of the Aurlandsfjorden, and one of the most visited locations in Norway, due to the presence of the Flam Rail Line and the famous 'Norway In a Nutshell' tours that emanate from here. 

After breakfast, we had time to stroll around the village, before starting out on our Shore Excursion.

Our optional excursion chosen for today was "Full-Day Train to Voss." The reason we had booked this excursion was it was advertised as including a visit to the world-famous Stalheim Hotel, an important historical site, overlooking Naeroyfjorden that was of great interest to us. Instead of boarding the train in Flam as advertised, we were bussed to Voss, completely side-stepping Stalheim. Our tour instead concluded with a descent by train to Flam after a lunch in Voss (a below average buffet in the Fleischer's Hotel).

Some elements of this tour were very enjoyable (e.g., our visit to the Molstertunet Folk Museum, and the Flamsbana descent), but I was beyond annoyed to miss Stalheim and feel this Excursion was improperly advertised and sloppily put together. Our guide was below average also. I registered a polite complaint about the situation with Customer Services but in all fairness, Viking dropped the ball on this event and did not provide any meaningful resolution or acknowledgement. We were not the only people on the excursion to note that the excursion description was misleading/false.

Fortunately, we will be visiting Flam again in 2024, and we will look to book some independent (of Viking) tours to get the best out of this wonderful location.

Dinner was excellent in The Restaurant, so things were looking up at that venue! In the fading light, we captured many beautiful views on the sail out from Flam, including passing by the branch off the Aurlandsfjorden leading to the world-renowned Naeroyfjorden.

20220922_070839.jpg

20220922_082704.jpg

20220922_151101.jpg

20220922_161708.jpg

20220922_191249.jpg

20220922_191501.jpg

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

• Like 1

Day 14 - 9/23/2022, Bergen (Norway) - part 1

Arriving in the early hours of the morning, we could see that Bergen had experienced a light rain, but we were again lucky as the rest of the day would ger progressively sunnier, brighter and pleasant. As we docked, we saw that once again we had caught up with the Viking Venus that had berthed in Bergen the previous morning.

As in Oslo, we decided that Bergen was going to be a "do it yourself" day taking advantage of previously amassed research for our cancelled July cruise. After breakfast, we set off as soon as passengers were cleared to leave the ship. As we walked along the harbor area, we could see there was plenty of mist rolling off the mountains after the early morning shower. Nevertheless, we headed for the Floibanen station before the morning rush: we had previously booked our return tickets online for about $15 each.

The Floibanen is a funicular railway that connects the downtown Bergen area with Mt. Floyen and the ride takes about 8 minutes. Once we reached the top (about 1,000 feet up) we could make out some of the city through the gradually easing mist along with both the Venus and Jupiter berthed at the cruise terminal. Our plan was to take a short hike through the woods and some trails and return when the view would be clearer. The wooded area on Floyen is quiet and beautiful. By the time we returned to the lookout area, photo opportunities had improved dramatically. We took the train down the mountain for the next part of our self-tour: exploring some of the wooden house lined back streets of the old town including sights such as the Korskirken (Church of the Cross) and Bergen Cathedral. From there we took a route back to the main town center via the lake and Byparken. visiting the National Stage and the shopping street of Torgallmenningen.

20220923_094740.jpg

20220923_095931 (1).jpg

20220923_103519.jpg

20220923_111418.jpg

20220923_112441.jpg

20220923_114518.jpg

20220923_120128.jpg

• Like 1

Day 14 - 9/23/2022, Bergen (Norway) - part 2

Lunchtime - and what would turn out to be the single best meal we enjoyed on our entire trip. We both had a fantastic baked halibut lunch at Fjellskal - a seafood restaurant overlooking the harbor. This went down very nicely with a Norwegian Porter.

Leaving the restaurant, we saw that the mist had cleared completely on the higher mountain (Ulriken) so on the spur of the moment we bought tickets for the cable car (and the express bus that would take us to the cable car terminal) at the bus stop on Strandgaten (about $44/pp). A fantastic ride to the top with remarkable views in all directions - well worth the time and effort.

Based on what we saw and did today, I see no need for Viking's Bergen-centric shore excursions - but next time we are in Bergen we will likely do the Dale of Norway excursion.

Returning to the ship, we took in the sights of the UNESCO site at Bryggen (site of a series of Hanseatic Trading buildings overlooking the harbor. This final stop was a convenient spot to pick up some more Dale of Norway gifts to take home with us.

Our final dinner on Jupiter was at Manfredi's - we shared a rib-eye, that again was just OK: but everything else we had - half-portions of chicken and veal, and our appetizers and desserts were very good. Overall, it was our best visit to Manfredi's. It was time to turn in and finalize our packing for the VOC disembarkation process.

20220923_125144.jpg

20220923_133018.jpg

20220923_153920.jpg

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

• Like 2

Day 15 - 9/24/2022, Bergen (Norway) & Departure

Disembarkation was very efficient. During the night, the Venus had departed so the Jupiter was moved to the berth with better access for disembarkation. The motor coach ride was uneventful, and within an hour of arriving at Bergen airport, we had checked in, passed security and customs and had recovered our VAT expenses on gift purchases.

Before the trip, we had been pleasantly surprised that United was running direct flights from Bergen to Newark, NJ so this made for a better flight experience than we had had on the way over to Stockholm. However, as food on United flights is typically disgusting, we made sure to score some great, fresh sandwiches at a Norwegian deli/restaurant in the airport prior to take-off.

Goodbye Norway - see you again soon!

Wrap-up of our experience on our first Viking Ocean Cruise

Transfer to ship from airport = B. Unfortunately, on arrival we found at that there was construction being undertaken outside our arrival terminal. As a result, it was necessary to trudge outdoors more than a quarter mile to the next terminal for our coach to the ship. No big deal for a fit person, but some passengers who were elderly or less conditioned were having a struggle with this. I can't believe that Viking couldn't have had a system in place for the less able in the group of about 40 who we had arrived with. It was not a good look, and a couple of us carried bags for the less able to help out a little.

Embarkation = A. This was easy, quick and pleasant. Before we knew it we were on the ship, sucking down champagne and getting ready to unwind after a long travel day (and night).

Our cabin = A-. As advertised our PS2 (#7006) was spacious, simply elegant and came with plenty of storage space and a sizeable and comfortable bathroom. Situated half-way between the forward elevators and the Explorers Lounge, our room was very quiet and very conveniently located for access to Mamsen's, Wintergarden, Pool Grill, and World Cafe (my favorite dining areas onboard). Access to free laundry services was fine for me and allowed me to pack minimally for this cruise. This would have been a straight A if it were not for the hard and uneven bed (we both like a firm mattress but it needs to be uniform). It's our fault for not thinking to ask for a remedy that they probably would have come up with (based on what I have read here on CC).

The staff/crew = A. Outstanding - every one of them. Our cabin attendants (Althin and Carla) were fantastic and looked after us really well. They switched out the hard liquor in our fridge for red wine on our first day. 

Dining - overall = A- (taste is a subjective thing, and this is our experience ...)

• World Cafe = A- (this is where we had our best steaks - better than The Restaurant or Manfredi's). Good selecton and high quality. Good coffee from the machine, but generic coffee served in pots at the table is awful. On our next cruise, we will probably take dinner here more often (in place of The Restaurant or Manfredi's)
  • Room Service (breakfast) = A-. A great way to start the day. Good menu, but obviously less choice than World Cafe.
  • Mamsen's = A. This grade is based on their desserts which were the only items I tried here, but they are an A.
  • Pool Grill = B+. Burgers and Hot Dogs are very good. Cheesesteak was average.
  • Wintergarden = A. VOC has perfected this formula. Just go .... often.
  • Viking Bar (early morning) = A. Excellent coffee, good munchies.
  • The Restaurant = B+. Usually good, sometimes excellent. Staff were very good except for a couple of slow nights. DW and I have agreed to reduce The Restaurant time next cruise, possibly eliminate Manfredi's and eat more often at World Cafe for dinner.
  • Manfredi's = B-. We never seemed to have a complete meal where we could say "Wow!" Hit and miss on some pasta dishes, steak average on last day, bland on a previous day. Good desserts and coffee. An average experience for us. On our next cruise, we are willing to try again.
  • Chef's Table - we did not eat at this venue.

Entertainment - we didn't take in any concerts or shows, so can't offer our experience in this area. We did like the solo singer/guitarist who we encountered at various venues on the ship.

Nordic Spa/Fitness Center = A+. This is a perfect haven. DW said the optional services she tried in the Spa were first-class.

Included Excursions Taken

• Copenhagen by Foot = B+. A nice introductory look at the old town areas of Copenhagen. Lots of photo opportunities. Walking tours are superior to most coach tours, IMO.
  • Aalborg Walking Tour = A. Beautiful town. Fantastic guide.
  • Gothenburg Panorama = C. A cookie-cutter bus tour in search of a purpose. A better plan with more time off the bus at fewer, more interesting sights would be an improvement.

Optional Excursions Taken
Unlike our original plans for our cancelled July 2022 cruise where we had booked some independent tours, we went exclusively with Viking shore excursions on this trip as we were late in the game booking items. We enjoyed all of these tours, and even the "bait and switch" we had on our Flam tour would have been tolerable if Viking just admitted they misled everyone.

• Vasa Museum & Stockholm by Boat = A. Very good lunch at Villa Godthem on this tour.
  • Aland Islands by Bike = B+. We enjoyed this tour and rated it less than an A due to the generic, uncomfortable bikes that were used. Here is an idea: can VOC not maintain its own stable of higher quality bikes onboard for use in any port?
  • Malbork Castle & Gdansk = A. An excellent guide. Tour included a plain but pleasing lunch.
  • Scenic Berlin by Motor Coach & Cruise = A-. The train rides to and from Berlin are a bit of a grind, but that's the price of admission to one of Europe's great inland cities when you are doing an ocean cruise. Very good traditional German lunch on this tour.
  • Christiansborg Palace & Tivoli Gardens = A-. This was an educational and fun afternoon, and the guide made it even better.
  • Gunnebo House & Gardens = B+. Interesting excursion into the Swedish countryside.
  • Pulpit Rock Cruise = B+. Very good guide for our pleasant scenic cruise on Lysefjorden, but pricey and probably better to book such an excursion independently.
  • Full-Day Railway Journey to Voss = B-. Not what we hoped for (or paid for), but maybe we can make better of it in 2024.

Self-directed Days as rated by DW (We went our own way in Oslo and Bergen and designed our own day-long tours based on our pre-existing research. I think these were our two best days of 'shore excursions'. Hmmm!?)

• Out & Out Oslo with SailorPaulH = A.
  • Bergen Blitz with SailorPaulH = A.

Both of these days were quite economical as the guide worked for food and beer.

Disembarkation = A-. Uneventful, and well-organized.

Transfer to airport from ship = A-. Straightforward and conventional motor coach delivery to the airport. Once we got through the initial wait at the check in, everything went very smoothly at Bergen airport.

A few negatives - but an overwhelmingly positive experience! We are looking forward to our Viking Venus 2024 cruise (Iceland's Majestic Landscapes).

20220924_085400.jpg

20220924_120349.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

I was up early to witness the twilight sail in to Flam - the small village at the end of the Aurlandsfjorden, and one of the most visited locations in Norway, due to the presence of the Flam Rail Line and the famous 'Norway In a Nutshell' tours that emanate from here. 

After breakfast, we had time to stroll around the village, before starting out on our Shore Excursion.

Our optional excursion chosen for today was "Full-Day Train to Voss." The reason we had booked this excursion was it was advertised as including a visit to the world-famous Stalheim Hotel, an important historical site, overlooking Naeroyfjorden that was of great interest to us. Instead of boarding the train in Flam as advertised, we were bussed to Voss, completely side-stepping Stalheim. Our tour instead concluded with a descent by train to Flam after a lunch in Voss (a below average buffet in the Fleischer's Hotel).

Some elements of this tour were very enjoyable (e.g., our visit to the Molstertunet Folk Museum, and the Flamsbana descent), but I was beyond annoyed to miss Stalheim and feel this Excursion was improperly advertised and sloppily put together. Our guide was below average also. I registered a polite complaint about the situation with Customer Services but in all fairness, Viking dropped the ball on this event and did not provide any meaningful resolution or acknowledgement. We were not the only people on the excursion to note that the excursion description was misleading/false.

Fortunately, we will be visiting Flam again in 2024, and we will look to book some independent (of Viking) tours to get the best out of this wonderful location.

Dinner was excellent in The Restaurant, so things were looking up at that venue! In the fading light, we captured many beautiful views on the sail out from Flam, including passing by the branch off the Aurlandsfjorden leading to the world-renowned Naeroyfjorden.

20220922_070839.jpg

20220922_082704.jpg

20220922_151101.jpg

20220922_161708.jpg

20220922_191249.jpg

20220922_191501.jpg

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

15 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

20220922_070839.jpg

20220922_082704.jpg

20220922_151101.jpg

20220922_161708.jpg

20220922_191249.jpg

20220922_191501.jpg

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

I wonder if your "Full-Day Train to Voss" was a one-off that was slapped together for your cruise. I never heard of it and can find it nowhere. Certainly sounds a bit slip-shod.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:02 AM, duquephart said:

I wonder if your "Full-Day Train to Voss" was a one-off that was slapped together for your cruise. I never heard of it and can find it nowhere. Certainly sounds a bit slip-shod.

The "Full-Day Train to Voss" excursion advertised on our Viking Homelands cruise was identical in description to the excursions we booked for our cancelled 2021 and 2022 "Iceland's Majestic Landscapes' cruise which is why we so happy to see Flam as a substitute port in our VH cruise.

"Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a breathtaking full-day “Norway in a Nutshell” experience. You will board the world-famous Flåm Railway at the cruise pier and climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Stop at Kjosfossen waterfall for photos of this pristine natural wonder. You will change trains and continue to Voss, where a motor coach takes you to the Molstertunet open air museum. Here, you will gain rich insight into 18th-century life in these high mountain valleys. Continue to Tvinde waterfall for a photo stop. Enjoy lunch at the famous Stalheim Hotel, with magnificent views of the Naerøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from the veranda. Return to your ship via the mountain descent known as the Stalheimskleiva. With its steep grade and 13 hairpin turns, this is not a trip for those who fear heights."

In summary (advertised):
Flam -> Myrdal (Flam rail) ... ascent
Myrdal -> Voss (train, Bergen line) -> coach
Molstuernet Museum
Tvindefossen
Stalheim Hotel (lunch)/Naeroyfjord
Stalheim -> Flam (coach)

In summary (actual)
Flam -> Voss (including stop at Tvindefossen). No stop at Stalheim.
Molstuernet Museum
Fleischer's Hotel (lunch: average buffet and rushed)
Voss -> Myrdal (train)
Myrdal -> Flam (Flam rail) ... descent. In fading light so less opportunity for photography 

• Like 1

I wonder how often the itinerary called for Flam rather than Eidfjord. That's where the "one-off" description might fit. Our Flam RR excursion called for a stop at Voss on the way back with a meal at it's "famous hotel." In reality we stopped at the Stalheim on the way to Flam. Maybe it's a matter of when Viking can get a bloc of tickets on the RR?

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

Is there anything/any place in Norway that is not pricey?

duquephart - don't know if you know it, but you truly are the master of the One Line post.

Go back and look.  Almost all of them are just one line/statement!

Man of few words but a lot to say!

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 9:53 PM, Spurlady said:

Sailor Paul—would you please share the pricing on your optional excursions?  We are six months out on our July 4 cruise from Stockholm and I am getting more serious about planning.  Thank you.

Here ya go - remember on our particular itinerary, we went to two ports that are not typical on Viking Homelands (Gothenburg, Flam), and prices do tend to change year to year, but this will give you a ballpark estimate.

VH_091122_Jupiter.pdf

• 6 months later...