Silversea Air Screws Up Again

chrism23

7 minutes ago, boccenana said:

Lois, are you on the Oct 16th 2023 Lisbon to Lisbon on the Nova?

Hi, nope...not that one. I am on her TA crossing in November. Lisbon to NYC.

3 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I have had a record location number change was when SS moved my flights to a different airline; however, that's no reason not to give you the existing number.  I've gotten that number from my SS rep much further out than 60 days (I, like you, always request it as soon as flights appear.)

In my experience if you the BC upgrade the domestic leg will get you in first class not economy.  (Or European Business).

That's what I thought.

First short leg Tucson to San Francisco put us in Economy. 

No biggie but still disappointed. 

Reading all the " rules", SS can basically do anything they want.

We have had our flights for many months. I don't want to be a pain in the A..about a short flight. So far all the others are fine. 

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, nope...not that one. I am on her TA crossing in November. Lisbon to NYC.

Would love to do crossings but DH not a fan.😌

You are a font of info on everything SS.

Thank you for that.

Elaine 😎

• Thanks 1

Possibly I should start a new thread, but I just finished my cruise and booked the air through SS. I was extremely satisfied with the air option ( although I would have preferred American over BA’s business class seating, since our flight had the old BC configuration which is the worst design ever) . Regardless, we were able to select our seats in advance which you can not normally do on BA until 24 hours before unless you have preferred status or pay a fee. The flights went off on time and both non stop, so overall no issues with SS booking it for us ( in fact was a benefit to us since could select our seats). 

I think your experience will depend on the city you live in, the airport you use as well as the destination. We were flying PHL to LHR and there are 3 nonstop flights a day, so our options are much better than other airports. I will wait to see what happens with our 2024 trip to Lisbon next year. There is only 1 flight a day from PHL on American, but it’s expensive, possible they may connect us through London . Will wait and see. However, I’m sure my experience would be very different if we were flying to other regions with less options.

So my experience so far has been very good and you will have to weigh the benefits and cons of having SS book your air or do it on your own. I prefer they do it , since Covid, there are too many unknowns and would rather not fork out the money almost a year in advance for the flight and potentially lose it if changes are required a year later. 

good luck to everyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobolz said:

Possibly I should start a new thread, but I just finished my cruise and booked the air through SS. I was extremely satisfied with the air option ( although I would have preferred American over BA’s business class seating, since our flight had the old BC configuration which is the worst design ever) . Regardless, we were able to select our seats in advance which you can not normally do on BA until 24 hours before unless you have preferred status or pay a fee. The flights went off on time and both non stop, so overall no issues with SS booking it for us ( in fact was a benefit to us since could select our seats). 

I think your experience will depend on the city you live in, the airport you use as well as the destination. We were flying PHL to LHR and there are 3 nonstop flights a day, so our options are much better than other airports. I will wait to see what happens with our 2024 trip to Lisbon next year. There is only 1 flight a day from PHL on American, but it’s expensive, possible they may connect us through London . Will wait and see. However, I’m sure my experience would be very different if we were flying to other regions with less options.

So my experience so far has been very good and you will have to weigh the benefits and cons of having SS book your air or do it on your own. I prefer they do it , since Covid, there are too many unknowns and would rather not fork out the money almost a year in advance for the flight and potentially lose it if changes are required a year later. 

good luck to everyone.

Our experience with SS Air has also been quite good. We would not fly any other way the craziness in travel at this time.

We have been booking Door to Door so if there is are any issues we know Silversea will make things right.

Unfortunately we fly out of Tucson. Lovely airport but far from a HUB.

We expect a stop or two. Never had a direct flight anywhere in years. Maybe some day.

We feel in good hands with SS Air and a great SS agent.

I absolutely agree with you.

I would post on a new thread for sure. 

Elaine😎

On 5/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I booked United EWR to the Azores (and return from Madeira to EWR) which involved United flights to LIS then TAP onward.  [This was not through Silversea Air]  We originally booked Premium Plus on United, which put us in plain Economy on TAP.  [I later upgraded the outgoing United flight to Polaris, but that didn't change anything else.]  So I paid TAP $30 per seat per leg to upgrade to Plus, which allowed me to choose seats; and later was able to use SeatBoost to upgrade one TAP leg to Executive.  It was hard to use the TAP website because my bookings were originally through United, so I ended up calling them; the phone reps were able to do everything I needed based on the TAP record locator number.

We flew home from Lisbon to UK after cruising on the Dawn from Barbados.  I booked economy as the flight was short and during the middle of the day.  I have to say the flight was absolutely fine, not too cramped and I was glad I hadnt paid a large amount to upgrade.

Just now, boccenana said:

I booked my own travel for our business for many years. It was simpler in the 70's and 80's. 

At this time in our lives we want to feel confident that ALL is taken care of.

Our TA's these last few years were so stressed out with covid issues, that I ended up having to do most of the work myself anyway.

Since dealing with my great SS agent, all has gone as smooth as can be expected. 

SS Air has tried to accommodate all our wishes, so far.

Most definitely worth the extra money for Door to Door with flights upgraded to Business/First.

Comfort and peace of mind are well worth it to us.

Elaine 😎 

Again, is there a non-emergency non-day-of-travel direct # for SS's air department?  Calling the main number and having them play 'relay' with air while I'm on hold multiple times didn't produce sensible answers.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Again, is there a non-emergency non-day-of-travel direct # for SS's air department?  Calling the main number and having them play 'relay' with air while I'm on hold multiple times didn't produce sensible answers.

Hi, as far as I know and have been told, the customer cannot call directly to the air dept. If someone has other information, that would be good to know   but I honestly think you cannot call the air dept.

38 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, as far as I know and have been told, the customer cannot call directly to the air dept. If someone has other information, that would be good to know   but I honestly think you cannot call the air dept.

I think you are right, Lois. There is an emergency number to call for day of travel problems. I have used them before and they were very helpful and got things straightened when there was a sudden strike on SAS. We also have been very happy with SS Air and getting upgrades to Bus Air. Maybe the title of this subject could be changed to the positive things the Air Desk does??? 

10 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I think you are right, Lois. There is an emergency number to call for day of travel problems. I have used them before and they were very helpful and got things straightened when there was a sudden strike on SAS. We also have been very happy with SS Air and getting upgrades to Bus Air. Maybe the title of this subject could be changed to the positive things the Air Desk does??? 

I agree Tucson Guy.

How about

"Why I love Silversea Air"?

I will start post if that's okay with you and  Bobolz.

Your Oro Valley neighbor.

Elaine 😎

9 minutes ago, boccenana said:

I agree Tucson Guy.

How about

Elaine 😎

That would be wonderful to start a new thread. Can you copy my comments here? I tried , but must be doing something wrong or maybe it’s not easy to do on my tablet. I would like to avoid typing my comments all over again. 

thanks

Just now, bobolz said:

That would be wonderful to start a new thread. Can you copy my comments here? I tried , but must be doing something wrong or maybe it’s not easy to do on my tablet. I would like to avoid typing my comments all over again. 

thanks

I just started it.

It's called "Why I Love Silversea Air"

Elaine 😎 

10 minutes ago, boccenana said:

I agree Tucson Guy.

How about

Elaine 😎

Great idea Elaine. Which Nova cruise are you on this year? We are on 8-21-23 Venice to Rome and then 11-18-23 NYC to Bridgetown and both on the new Nova.

Just now, A Tucson Guy said:

Great idea Elaine. Which Nova cruise are you on this year? We are on 8-21-23 Venice to Rome and then 11-18-23 NYC to Bridgetown and both on the new Nova.

Sorry, have to leave now...Later!

5 hours ago, canderson said:

No. Not even TA’s can telephone, only email.

3 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

We go this October 16th Lisbon to Lisbon on the Nova

I can't wait to see it.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:15 AM, bobolz said:

Possibly I should start a new thread,

Bob, Please start a new thread.  I started this one all over a year ago. I also posted a followup saying I had found a way to work around any issues I had with SS Air.   The key to problem solving was developing a fantastic relationship with my CC cruise consultant.  I have tried to take it down so someone else's name is on it but I can't figure out how to do it.  I think a newer version should go up, they did after all try to send me to Frankfurt from Dublin,to get home to Boston, but that was corrected immediately with one "are your kidding me" phone call.  There are still problems.  But  please, can someone take this over.  Every day my inbox is overflows with followups on the subject.  Thanks to anyone who jumps in here.