Navigating Europe Solo

KansasTexan

Though I've never done it, it seems that cruises are not a great way to see Europe.  Many European destinations are great to experience at night or early morning, which you will miss on a cruise.  Many ports are far from where you really want to be (Rome, Florence, etc).

The one exception I might try sometime in a cruise up the west coast of Norway.  Also, the Voyage of the Vikings looks interesting.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, quack2 said:

it seems that cruises are not a great way to see Europe.

I think cruises are not a great way to see any city, or country, and I never consider that I've seen any place where we are in port for 8 or 10 hours.  You can see some particular sites (or sights) with a bus from the port, but not really visit a place....for that, you need to stay at least a couple of days, in my opinion.  I love cruising, but the only places I really see when I cruise are the embarkation and debarkation ports, where I usually spend a few days at either end (unless it's a place I've been frequently). 

• 3 months later...

I think a great way to see Europe is to book a TA that goes to Europe first, and then build in 2 weeks before traveling around Europe starting from your destination. So if you board in Barcelona, you can book a flight on TAP or Iberia with a layover in Lisbon or Madrid. Do some travel there, and then  go to Barcelona. There are lots of lovely places close by train from there. I speak a few words of Spanish and French and I've traveled thru Europe, Africa, and Asia with no issue. I don't use buses, but use subways and metros and ferries and trains with no problem. Well, I used a bus in Mexico and once in Africa, but both were long distance and not local. I've never had a problem that I couldn't solve .

On 4/13/2023 at 12:12 PM, quack2 said:

Though I've never done it, it seems that cruises are not a great way to see Europe.  

You may want to try a river cruise on the Rhine or Danube. 

8 hours ago, Roz said:

You may want to try a river cruise on the Rhine or Danube

Be careful with river cruises, as the increased heat and decreased rain in some places make some river travel a no-go.  Ships are occasionally getting land-locked or run aground because of low river levels over the last couple of seasons.