Starlink on Beyond, a disappointment.

Dk-cruiser

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Karma?  So one side of this wants to tell people what to do and the other side is wishing storm clouds over their head?

What happened to live and let live?  Even with the people you don’t like.

Oh, I don’t wish anyone ill. Just those who want to be unhappy tend to be unhappy.

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 1

Here is an article from Wall Street Journal which discusses basically that work ethic is in decline in the US. It is a generational  thing apparently, duh. And that means much is based on perspective.

Just like we experienced on this board. what is right for one person is not so right for another. I like chocolate and my wife likes vanilla. It's life.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-your-gen-z-co-workers-are-quiet-quitting-heres-what-that-means-11660260608

Many years agoI think in the  late 70's the company I was at brought in a motivational speaker named Morris Massey, and his sctick was "you are what you were when you were bornn" and he taught us to overcome different  generational perspective in the compamny, eg  I was a young manager and had new ideas, and I had to deal with the top officers who grew up n the 1920's and 30's depression--we each had different perspectives on risk and reward but somewho we had to come together to do the right thing for company.

Only change now is the old guys like me grew up in the gogo 60's and the "kids" are from the 90's.

I think this is why we had so much :"ts a vacation", versus " I do have things to do"

I am currently on Beyond. This is not only a working vacation for me, but I am from an area directly affected by Hurricane Ian and am helping coordinate recovery at home as a volunteer with a couple of groups. 

We are just leaving VilleFranche. This is the slowest internet I have had the whole trip. I just did a spee test and got 107.46 mbps download and 3.32 mbps upload speeds. As I said, this is the slowest it has been. I have been doing zoom calls and microsoft team calls, plus emails from my computer and phone. Also streaming lots of videos. In my opinion, most of the time it's almost as fast as I have at home. 

No complaints here from someone who is working and enjoying a wonderful vacation at the same time.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I am currently on Beyond. This is not only a working vacation for me, but I am from an area directly affected by Hurricane Ian and am helping coordinate recovery at home as a volunteer with a couple of groups. 

We are just leaving VilleFranche. This is the slowest internet I have had the whole trip. I just did a spee test and got 107.46 mbps download and 3.32 mbps upload speeds. As I said, this is the slowest it has been. I have been doing zoom calls and microsoft team calls, plus emails from my computer and phone. Also streaming lots of videos. In my opinion, most of the time it's almost as fast as I have at home. 

No complaints here from someone who is working and enjoying a wonderful vacation at the same time.

First thank you for helping with Ian.

Second, if I can’t get my cat pictures because someone is on a video call then I’ll be heading to Customer Service.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Being connected isn’t a sign of importance or power. I’m essentially the boss of a mid-level non-profit. But I have the power to say, “I’m on vacation now. It’s your problem until I get back.” That’s winning in my book.

And then I can surf / upload / chat / research / whatever online to my heart’s content while I’m on vacation and know that nothing can interrupt me. 🙂 That’s called Freedom in my book! 

Alas I discovered the grass isn't greener as you move up.  If anything it's browner and has stuff to avoid stepping in.   

I sold my soul 6 years ago.  I envy your freedom 🙂  I don't actually know how to disconnect anymore.  It's not importance or power...just doing what I agreed to.

Y'all do your facetime with your kids or doggy daycare from the Sunset Bar, play a game, work or post all your pics to social media.   I'll be doing the same while I wait for my husband to return from the buffet or something. 

You do you.  I'll do me.  And we'll ALL have a great time.  Regardless of whatever the wifi speed is.    

Cheers!🍹

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Alas I discovered the grass isn't greener as you move up.  If anything it's browner and has stuff to avoid stepping in.   

I sold my soul 6 years ago.  I envy your freedom 🙂  I don't actually know how to disconnect anymore.  It's not importance or power...just doing what I agreed to.

Y'all do your facetime with your kids or doggy daycare from the Sunset Bar, play a game, work or post all your pics to social media.   I'll be doing the same while I wait for my husband to return from the buffet or something. 

You do you.  I'll do me.  And we'll ALL have a great time.  Regardless of whatever the wifi speed is.    

Cheers!🍹

If I do have to work (because I occasionally stupidly check my work email and feel I should answer with information I know would help) at least it’s with an ocean view from my verandah or the top deck with a favorite drink at my side!

10 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

If I do have to work (because I occasionally stupidly check my work email and feel I should answer with information I know would help) at least it’s with an ocean view from my verandah or the top deck with a favorite drink at my side!

You drink on the job?  😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Boarding BEYOND on a B2B on Dec 4... I might have missed this but if I have a premium wifi package now with Starlink up to how many devices can I have on it at once? I'm used to only 1 device and having to switch all the time....

I have to do a bit of work when on there so hoping I can have it ON on my laptop AND cell ....

1 hour ago, Sheltielover73 said:

Boarding BEYOND on a B2B on Dec 4... I might have missed this but if I have a premium wifi package now with Starlink up to how many devices can I have on it at once? I'm used to only 1 device and having to switch all the time....

I have to do a bit of work when on there so hoping I can have it ON on my laptop AND cell ....

You have to pay for each device; each subsequent device added gets progressively cheaper.  One tip is you can wait until mid sailing and pay the prorated rate

• Like 1

I am on Oasis now which is using starlink but mast be capping speed which is under 9 mps.

I have complained regularly with some inane  responses being they are not using starlink, which they are since the Speedtest shows starlink, to there is a glitch they cannot solve.

today the guy there admitted something is wrong but shrugged shoulders.

the system also blocks receipts and sending e mails

rather disappointing

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I am on Oasis now which is using starlink but mast be capping speed which is under 9 mps.

I have complained regularly with some inane  responses being they are not using starlink, which they are since the Speedtest shows starlink, to there is a glitch they cannot solve.

rather disappointing

wow! good to watch out for!  enjoy your cruise! 

21 minutes ago, Sheltielover73 said:

wow! good to watch out for!  enjoy your cruise! 

I was trying to get into the celebrity website to book all access tour of beyond for my wife when we are on it but the response on my iPhone was internet was to slow. Same for speed test

but the kind of funny part was a survey if I would recommend starlink and I gave it a big Zero.

the zoom staff here is not willing to lie on behalf of company. I spent nearly 800 on 8 devices with the 4th one of each of the 2 groups of 4 connected sting something like $28 a day vs 147 for the first.

however many people are happy to buy the basic and the one with zoom, many do not know the benchmark.

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

rather disappointing

Are you saying the whole ship is sharing a 9 Mbps connection?

Edited by zitsky

I'm so old, I remember in Cozumel going to Tomaine Tony's Tacos (warm beer, lousy service and free wifi) to glom onto a few free minutes to check the race results at Tampa Bay Downs horse track.  I think Covid or the Mexican Health Dept finally closed Tony's but he always had sort of fast wifi.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Are you saying the whole ship is sharing a 9 Mbps connection?

I would have responded to this earlier  but I fell asleep waiting for cc webpages to open.

When I was at the help desk this AM (open from 10 till noon) I had both my new iphone and new ipad with me and he asked to see the speedtest result. Actually came in at 6 to mid 8's.

The rest of the family is disappointed: my 5 yo grandson screams every time his buffers, my wife could  not watch streamed shows.etc etc.

I have a program with hardware that sets up a hotspot with security (unlike the Ships wifi) that Jim_Lain recommended. The ships wifi is too weak to use it. (tri link 750ac) It, the ships wife,  blocks my e mail and the webpage I use, and my   back up could not load since internet weak.Lose lose.

BTW, the crew wifi has security, guest does not. Hence, get a vpn, or the tri link program and hardwear-thats a problem as the speed is to slow to use either and RCL may not want to allow higher speeds.

That hardward/software allowing me to target a range of speed delivered, so I know it can be done.

I took several screen shots of it including one showing 6 MBPS shown below--just for comparison I get 850 at home using xfinity.

image.thumb.png.fb0ef2023dba2308fc141be1132abb9c.png

Pre covid I had similar problems with X's xcelerate. But at least I got and could send e mails. Obviously they use the same underlying systems.

I will be writing to Michael Bayley and Lisa Lutoff Perlo to fill them in. Obviously they wil ordinarily not even see the  e mail , but I will have a real and serious "hook" in my  email which should grab their attention.

What takes me about 20 minutes while watching TV takes 2-3 hours on board--they have teh capability to fix it so why not--the speed shoudl be consitent throughout the fleet subject to unsusal situations  like bad weather or lack of sats for which starlink  is sending up many.

I am not asking for 800 down and 30 up, a consistent 35 down and 10 up would be great. And that barely taxes tehstarlink system.

Edited by HMR74
  • Thanks 1

Does X publish anywhere what the speed will be?  I lived at home with 6 Mbps for years and I could send emails.  And watch video.  But I wasn’t sharing that connection with 2,000 people.

If a 5 year old is screaming about slow internet, what else does he scream about?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Does X publish anywhere what the speed will be?  I lived at home with 6 Mbps for years and I could send emails.  And watch video.  But I wasn’t sharing that connection with 2,000 people.

If a 5 year old is screaming about slow internet, what else does he scream about?

The problems described are not from the speed they being are caused by congestion. 

On 10/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, bdstickks0944 said:

Like your comment, add anything to it? Who is retired I’m not retired, but I’m on vacation. I make it a priority not to spend every moment of it on my phone, and Internet means nothing to me when I’m on a cruise.

I think I missed the edict that stated everyone has to have the same priorities. Could you please point me to it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was unpleasantly surprised on the Beyond this month when I had to upgrade to premium to use Amazon WorkSpaces. (I had some unfinished work I had pledged to complete.) I assumed the basic internet plan on the Beyond would work just as the basic internet plans worked for me on the MSC Meraviglia the week before, Odyssey of the Seas in the Mediterranean in September and the Carnival Pride in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in February. I logged on after boarding and AWS wouldn’t open when I logged on using the basic internet plan I had prepurchased. Went to ilounge, or whatever it’s called, and the guy logged into my laptop using his credentials to confirm basic plan wouldn’t work for me and to show me that the upgraded plan would work. I canceled my five-day basic plan and, rather than pay $175 for five days (almost twice as much as basic), bought the premium plan for 24 hours for about $50. (I just needed the internet for one day.) I’m fortunate to have work flexibility but now need to factor in extra money if I plan to work on a sea day on a Celebrity ship. Disappointed that the latest, greatest fancy internet service provider, or whatever it’s called, on this new ship couldn’t deliver with the basic (much less pricey) internet plan. Guess I was spoiled by my previous experiences on other lines. 

Edited by def0715
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Remember dial up. Back in the days where graphics was a concept .

i used a ti-745 for corporate banking.

i rechecked to see thati had zoom and surf. I do.

we do have 6500 on board however, whether 4500 or 6500 one should be able to load webpages in a reasonable time. Not get timed out.

went to coco cay today, 2 mps. Sending texts to family on ship are difficult.

2 minutes ago, def0715 said:

I was unpleasantly surprised on the Beyond this month when I had to upgrade to premium to use Amazon WorkSpaces. (I had some unfinished work I had pledged to complete.) I assumed the basic internet plan on the Beyond would work just as the basic internet plans worked for me on the MSC Meraviglia the week before, Odyssey of the Seas in the Mediterranean in September and the Carnival Pride in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in February. I logged on after boarding and AWS wouldn’t open when I logged on using the basic internet plan I had prepurchased. Went to ilounge, or whatever it’s called, and the guy logged into my laptop using his credentials to confirm basic plan wouldn’t work for me and to show me that the upgraded plan would work. I canceled my five-day basic plan and, rather than pay $175 for five days (almost twice as much as basic), bought the premium plan for 24 hours for about $50. (I just needed the internet for one day.) I’m fortunate to have work flexibility but now need to factor in extra money if I plan to work on a sea day on a Celebrity ship. Disappointed that the latest, greatest fancy internet service provider on this new ship, or whatever it’s called, couldn’t deliver with the basic (much less pricey) internet plan. Guess I was spoiled by my previous experiences on other lines. 

The question is, why does the beyonds starlink upgraded package work well and Oasis it does not.

is that corporate saying do not allow hi speeds.on certain sips.