Alaska with kids (between 8 and 14 years old), which ship if you've sailed recently?

We would like to decide between radiance, brilliance, or quantum class.  We are open to anything and kids are old enough to really enjoy the experience of alaska and the excursions rather than the activities on the ship.  But still want them to have things to do. We've been on all oasis class, odyssey, freedom class and navigator but none of the older ships.  Brilliance is the least expensive - canada round trip.  Radiance is the coolest itinerary but oldest ship and sails one way so we'd have to fly into/home from different airports.  Quantum is the newest and would be a fun ship for the kids in the cold weather (we didn't love odyssey for our carribean sailing).  Thanks!

We just booked a family trip on Quantum for the end of May. We will have a 7yo and 1 or 2 13yo all girls. We chose this itinerary because of the kids, so they will have a variety of activities. We sailed on Serenade(sister to Brilliance) a number of years ago. They are beautiful class of ship, but we wanted newer and bigger. We also preferred the Seattle round trip itinerary to fly in and out of Seattle for a couple of days in advance.

Barb

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

We just booked a family trip on Quantum for the end of May. We will have a 7yo and 1 or 2 13yo all girls. We chose this itinerary because of the kids, so they will have a variety of activities. We sailed on Serenade(sister to Brilliance) a number of years ago. They are beautiful class of ship, but we wanted newer and bigger. We also preferred the Seattle round trip itinerary to fly in and out of Seattle for a couple of days in advance.

Barb

We were on the Ovation last May.  I can't recommend it.  Not that I don't recommend it, I just can't because it wouldn't be fair.  When we were on the Ovation, it was its second revenue cruise post COVID and the beginning of the Alaska Cruise season.  Because of COVID still going around and the paranoia associated with it, the crew was not at 100% and many venues weren't operating, and supply chain issues.  We really didn't experience the Ovation to it's fullest potential.  It is a beautiful ship though.  We ate most of our meals in the Coastal Kitchen and the specialty restaurants, never did the MDR, Windjammer (I did the Windjammer for Bacon in the morning) or Solarium (the solarium bistro (or what ever the restaurant is called up there) was closed).  All was good.  However, the crew, as always, was great.  But, the crew is always changing and I'd bet it isn't the same crew there today than what we had back in May.

If the crew is at 100%, all venues open, and they worked around their supply chains issues, I'd highly recommend the Ovation.  But, I don't know what the status is.  I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it is good now.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

Did the Quantum of the Seas July 4th of this year with our twin 15 year old girls.  They had a blast and enjoyed the ports, even though our dog sledding and helicopter tour (not through RCCL) was canceled due to fog. However, they missed the Central Park and Boardwalk of Symphony and Allure but said the sports complex more than made up for it. They weren’t thinking about the weather aspect!  

Dan 

We took our 12 yr old on the Ovation this July, he has been on 3 oasis class but this was his first chance at a Quantum class, very glad we did it.  The sea plex and the flowrider were top hits for him, they have one session where they let the 12 to 18 year olds have the bumper cars to themselves for half an hour, he got to go 6 times and could not have had more fun with it being taken over by tweens and teens.  He did not do the kids club but Loved the ship.  Of course he has not been disappointed in any RCCL or Disney ship but we chose this over the smaller because there was more for him to do And because we don't get many chances at a Quantum class itinerary from the west coast.  No supply issues or staff issues that we were aware of, the shows were incredible, he had never been in a 270.... for us, it was amazing.  It was our 4th trip to Alaska so it was really to enjoy the ship.  Our port hours and location in ports were all outstanding which is another major plus.

7 hours ago, T-2 said:

We took our 12 yr old on the Ovation this July, he has been on 3 oasis class but this was his first chance at a Quantum class, very glad we did it.  The sea plex and the flowrider were top hits for him, they have one session where they let the 12 to 18 year olds have the bumper cars to themselves for half an hour, he got to go 6 times and could not have had more fun with it being taken over by tweens and teens.  He did not do the kids club but Loved the ship.  Of course he has not been disappointed in any RCCL or Disney ship but we chose this over the smaller because there was more for him to do And because we don't get many chances at a Quantum class itinerary from the west coast.  No supply issues or staff issues that we were aware of, the shows were incredible, he had never been in a 270.... for us, it was amazing.  It was our 4th trip to Alaska so it was really to enjoy the ship.  Our port hours and location in ports were all outstanding which is another major plus.

Thanks! What excursions did he like best? We've been on odyssey so they know that type of ship I just wasn't sure it was necessary on an itinerary like Alaska, we will only do this itinerary once (floridians lol) most likely so it's more about the ports for us, unlike most cruises we do from here.

9 hours ago, Twin Dad said:

Did the Quantum of the Seas July 4th of this year with our twin 15 year old girls.  They had a blast and enjoyed the ports, even though our dog sledding and helicopter tour (not through RCCL) was canceled due to fog. However, they missed the Central Park and Boardwalk of Symphony and Allure but said the sports complex more than made up for it. They weren’t thinking about the weather aspect!  

Dan 

Did you get to do any excursions? What did they like best at the ports?  We missed the boardwalk and water slides a lot when we went on odyssey so we wouldn't do that class of ship again to the caribbean.

If its more about the ports, then do Radiance.   Radiance begins ot ends in Seward.

Our cruise on the Radiance in 2021 was cancelled due to the pandemic.   We flew to Anchorage and explored Alaska independently.  We loved Alaska and Seward is a great town with lots of attractions including  a wonderful aquarium.  If you think your kids would be bored on Radiance, take the Ovation with them and then go back in a few years on Radiance when you are empty nesters.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 3

We have done Alaska on both Radiance and Quantum.  We preferred Radiance for the itinerary and the ability to add a land tour that went into Denali National Park.  That was a 15 day vacation that is not always a possibility.  Radiance does not have the activities and food options though and the evening entertainment was lacking.  Never sailed a ship that had a movie in the theatre most nights.  We preferred Quantum for the ship itself.  We love all the activities and food options that Quantum has to offer.  Entertainment is much better too.  Seaplex is a unique venue with lots going on all the time and we love Two70.  Sailing from Seattle is easier to fly in and out of but the one way on Radiance and sailing more of the inside passage is worth the inconvenience of flying to Anchorage.

I would look at what ports they each go to and consider excursions and what you must do things are, especially if this is the only time you are going to Alaska.  Excursions can be really pricy so consider that when you are trying to decide.

5 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

If its more about the ports, then do Radiance.   Radiance begins and ends in Seward.

Our cruise on the Radiance in 2021 was cancelled due to the pandemic.   We flew to Anchorage and explored Alaska independently.  We loved Alaska and Seward is a great town with lots of attractions including  a wonderful aquarium.  If you think your kids would be bored on Radiance, take the Ovation with them and then go back in a few years on Radiance when you are empty nesters.

Radiance does one way northbound followed by a one way southbound.  It sails between Vancouver and Seward.

I would pick the Quantum class over Radiance unless there is something you really like in the Radiance itinerary. We were on Ovation last month in Alaska and loved it. For the adults it has an awesome Solarium for pool & hot tub.  If you enjoy Specialty Dining - more restaurant choices. 

If you can choose Ovation they will really enjoy the shows & entertainment like the high tech shows in 270.  Better than the “Royal Caribbean Dancers” shows on Radiance that don’t appeal to most teens.  It also has the North Star, FlowRider, bumper cars, and iFly skydiving simulator. 

Edited by thrifty99

1 hour ago, CamaCama said:

Did you get to do any excursions? What did they like best at the ports?  We missed the boardwalk and water slides a lot when we went on odyssey so we wouldn't do that class of ship again to the caribbean.

we did the crabfeast at George Inlet Lodge on Ketchikan.  The owner drove the van load of people to the lodge, pretty cool.  Great experience and wasn't rushed at all.  Sitka we just wandered around town on our own.  Juno was where we had the sledding and helicopter tour scheduled but was cancelled.  If you can plan that, I would try for earlier in the day as we were booked for 3 or 3:30 and that's when the fog/weather rolled in.

• Like 1

We sailed on Ovation to Alaska in July with our 12yo son. He loved it. There are TONS of fun things for kids to do on that ship. It's beautiful and still feels new. There were no staffing issues that we could tell. Everything was fantastic.

For excursions, we did the Deadliest Catch crab boat in Ketchikan, the train in Skagway (which 12yo declared was "spectacular"), and a float plane glacier flight in Juneau, which was everyone's favorite excursion. Highly recommend all of them. We also rode the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau.

The morning of Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, we got up early, ordered room service for breakfast, and watched the scenery on our balcony in our PJs with blankets that we had checked out on the pool deck. That was the favorite memory for all of us. 

Quantum class is not my first choice for cruises, but we did Ovation in August from Seattle and the ship was perfect for that itinerary.  Still felt like a special cruise where the focus is on the ports, the excursions are there regardless of ship, but there's more to keep the kids occupied when you are not in port.  The indoor pool also comes in handy when the weather is wet/cold.

1 minute ago, mil76 said:

Quantum class is not my first choice for cruises, but we did Ovation in August from Seattle and the ship was perfect for that itinerary.  Still felt like a special cruise where the focus is on the ports, the excursions are there regardless of ship, but there's more to keep the kids occupied when you are not in port.  The indoor pool also comes in handy when the weather is wet/cold.

If I'm not mistaken the Quantum Class ships were designed with the northern climates in mind, not exclusively though.  Quantum Class is very versatile.

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If I'm not mistaken the Quantum Class ships were designed with the northern climates in mind, not exclusively though.  Quantum Class is very versatile.

I'd say definitely, we were on Odyssey in the caribbean last year and said never again.  It's very indoor focused.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have done Alaska on both Radiance and Quantum.  We preferred Radiance for the itinerary and the ability to add a land tour that went into Denali National Park.  That was a 15 day vacation that is not always a possibility.  Radiance does not have the activities and food options though and the evening entertainment was lacking.  Never sailed a ship that had a movie in the theatre most nights.  We preferred Quantum for the ship itself.  We love all the activities and food options that Quantum has to offer.  Entertainment is much better too.  Seaplex is a unique venue with lots going on all the time and we love Two70.  Sailing from Seattle is easier to fly in and out of but the one way on Radiance and sailing more of the inside passage is worth the inconvenience of flying to Anchorage.

I would look at what ports they each go to and consider excursions and what you must do things are, especially if this is the only time you are going to Alaska.  Excursions can be really pricy so consider that when you are trying to decide.

I'd much rather do the 7 night sailing without the land tour and spend the money we would with that on excursions and make the most of the ports.  The cruises with the land tour are so expensive! Maybe go back like you said in 10 years and do it differently.

1 hour ago, thrifty99 said:

I would pick the Quantum class over Radiance unless there is something you really like in the Radiance itinerary. We were on Ovation last month in Alaska and loved it. For the adults it has an awesome Solarium for pool & hot tub.  If you enjoy Specialty Dining - more restaurant choices. 

If you can choose Ovation they will really enjoy the shows & entertainment like the high tech shows in 270.  Better than the “Royal Caribbean Dancers” shows on Radiance that don’t appeal to most teens.  It also has the North Star, FlowRider, bumper cars, and iFly skydiving simulator. 

Yes we were on odyssey last year and did all that, ifly was awesome and kids spent time on the bumper cars. We didn't do any specialty dining on odyssey so we would maybe do that if we did quantum class for alaska, thanks!

23 minutes ago, mil76 said:

I think you helped me make my choice, quantum class for alaska it is and cruising from Seattle just seems easier overall.  We will be going in June, I wonder how the weather differs from August.

31 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We sailed on Ovation to Alaska in July with our 12yo son. He loved it. There are TONS of fun things for kids to do on that ship. It's beautiful and still feels new. There were no staffing issues that we could tell. Everything was fantastic.

For excursions, we did the Deadliest Catch crab boat in Ketchikan, the train in Skagway (which 12yo declared was "spectacular"), and a float plane glacier flight in Juneau, which was everyone's favorite excursion. Highly recommend all of them. We also rode the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau.

The morning of Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, we got up early, ordered room service for breakfast, and watched the scenery on our balcony in our PJs with blankets that we had checked out on the pool deck. That was the favorite memory for all of us. 

WOW! Thank you for all the info, excursions sound amazing and definitely getting a balcony!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CamaCama said:

I think you helped me make my choice, quantum class for alaska it is and cruising from Seattle just seems easier overall.  We will be going in June, I wonder how the weather differs from August.

I don't think you will be disappointed.  I hear the weather is better in June than late August.  We got poured on at every port, but still had a great cruise.  Just plan for rain and be thankful when it doesn't.  

• Like 1

Good feedback! We have booked Quantum for the last week of May and I think our group of 4 seniors, 4 40+ and 3 girls will love it. DH and I sailed Anthem from Bayonne to Bermuda and found we highly prefer Oasis class over Quantum class, but we do like that Quantum is newer and bigger than Radiance or Brilliance.

Barb

• Like 1