Talk to me about New Years cruising!

Considering a a cruise for 2023 on Wonder over New Years.  I have never cruised over a significant holiday and wondered (no pun intended) what Royal does or may do.  Are there a lot of children?  It will be a few adult couples, no children with us.  Would you say the NY cruise would be worth the large upcharge?  Anything else advice wise??

Got a cheap* 9 night NYE sailing on Anthem 12/31/21, just as Omicron was causing havoc.  They did a countdown, but no balloon drop (due to [non-existent] social distancing).  Other than the NYE events in multiple locations and New Year's MDR menu, there wasn't anything special.

I personally would not pay a premium for a NY (or any holiday) sailing.

* $950 solo for balcony.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

I can't speak for the longer cruises that run over the NYE holiday, but I did a 3 night cruise on Royal over NYE right before COVID and it was a huge party. I can't recall seeing many children. But, I didn't have any kids with me and was with a buddy so wasn't paying attention. On NYE, the night club was lit up and most people dressed up. 

My wife and I are doing the Liberty this NYE (and not taking our kids). It is a 3 nighter as well.

In my experience on all the cruise lines, the shorter duration cruises tend to have more adults and party people. Whereas, the longer cruises still have some party people but definitely more families.

• Like 2

Only done the 7 day ones over Christmas and or New Years, the New Years one was a bit more party atmosphere than the Christmas one.   There were more families at Christmas and more couples at New Years.   But generally both cruises were pretty normal except for a few small extra's for the season,  were the extras it worth the up-charge? Not for the extras but if that is the only time you have to travel (which was my case) it is the price you have to pay.

• Like 1

Was on Jewel 10 night over last New Years. Even though everyone still had to have masks, etc. There were parties in each venue. They also had special dinners in the specialty restaurants, although they didnt look worth the price. Dont remember many kids at all. Would go again in a heartbeat.

CJ

• Like 1

Did a 5-night NYE cruise December 2018.  It was pretty cool--on NYE there was a massive party on the promenade.  Champagne was being handed out (not everyone was checking seapasses to make sure people were of age to get some) for free.  There was music, dancing and a balloon drop at midnight.  Up on the pool deck there was a band and a the drinks were NOT free.  There were more kids running around but it was pretty nice and not crowded.  

There were a TON of families and kids.  I'd love to do another NYE cruise.  

• Like 1