Scuba Diving at Cozumel's Mr Sancho's...

NavyCruiser

There are 2 divers in our group of 12 cruisers.

Us 2 divers are diving with cruise ship in Honduras, while others doing other excursions.

But while in Cozumel (8am - 4pm), entire group of 12 would like to relax at beach at Mr Sancho's.

Blue Reef Divers, 218 out of 232 reviews on TripAdvisor has them as "Excellent", is at Mr Sancho's & has the following:

* 1 tank boat dive for certified diver is $77.00 usd per diver

*2 tanks boat dive for certified divers is $110.00 usd per diver (2 divers mínimum)

So 10 am 2 tank boat dive sounds like a good idea for us 2 divers, while rest of group chill out at Mr Sancho's beach (no admission charge)?

Or be safe & dive with ship dive excursion ($130)?

Thanks,

Have you contacted Blue Reef to see if they will pick you up there, or are you planning to meet somewhere else?  Also, make sure that you can make a 10am pickup and that they have enough divers to go out.  Many dive ops have a required number to make it worth the gas to get to the reefs.

No sure which cruise line you are using, but if they have a dive op excursion, then they will pick up and drop off at your pier next to the ship saving you taxi to and from the pickup spot away from cruise piers. 

• Like 1

Considering all you've said, I'd definitely do the 2-tank with Blue Reef Divers with the pick up at Mr. Sancho's.  That way you get to spend more time with your group, and you'll be closer to the better dive sites.  The ship's excursions are notorious for for going to the closest sites to the pier, which are good, but not the best of Cozumel.  With a 10:00 am pick-up you'll likely be back by about 1:30 at the latest, so you should be fine to go back to the ship with your group.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

Yes, we're on Princess.

That's what we're thinking, cab ride to Mr Sancho's is probably same for 10 or 12 people (4 person per cab?), & get to spend some time before & after dives on the beach.

Mr Sancho's location is further south than the cruise pier, so probably closer to the better reefs.

Blue Reef Divers replied to my email to Mr Sancho's, so I assume they're the on-site dive op.  But good idea to triple check & confirm with them also.  

Thanks,

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yes, we're on Princess.

That's what we're thinking, cab ride to Mr Sancho's is probably same for 10 or 12 people (4 person per cab?), & get to spend some time before & after dives on the beach.

Mr Sancho's location is further south than the cruise pier, so probably closer to the better reefs.

Blue Reef Divers replied to my email to Mr Sancho's, so I assume they're the on-site dive op.  But good idea to triple check & confirm with them also.  

Thanks,

First, thanks for the heads up on both Mr. Sanchos and Blue Reef Divers.

I'd appreciate what you come up with. Going to be in Coz in Feb on a ship with two other couples. I'm the only diver so we were looking for something for them to do while I dived.  I know Blue Reef says minimum of 2 divers but I might be able to find someone on the ship to dive with me.

Already booked a dive through the ship (Royal Caribbean) as a fall back but I can cancel that if I have to.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update.  According to  Blue Reef Divers you also have to buy the day pass at Mr. Sanchos. They are the on site dive shop. The all inclusive day pass is $60, a 2 tank dive is $110. But you need two divers.   My wife and other family members are going to Mr. Sancho's for the day. It would be easier to go with them but I don't need an all day drink and eat day pass.

The ship dive was only $98 but quickly sold out before I could book it.  I could book it for $100 through the same vendor the ship uses, and maybe hitch (sneak a ride) a ride with the ship excursion.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: the family is booked at Mr. Sancho's. Blue Reef Divers contacted me and said they could probably get me in on a dive or 2 as a single in that they usually have more than one diver each day. So I booked a dive with them.   So if someone else shows up that day, we'll go, if not, we won't.

• Like 1