Beyond - hdmi and universal remote

mfs2k

I’ll be in a sky suite on Beyond in a few weeks. In videos I’ve seen online the tv pulls almost 90° from the wall to face the bed. 
Does anyone know if, on this ship and with this tv configuration, I can connect my phone using an hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable to the tv and a universal remote to change the input port to watch movies ?

I believe Beyond has the same technology (TV & room controls) as Edge & Apex, although Beyond has Starlink internet. 

We have been able to stream from iPhone or iPad on Edge & Apex but haven’t been on Beyond yet.
Good information from other cruisers. 

Should be no reason to bring your Samsung or uni remote now.  These newer systems aren't locked in 'hotel mode', and changing input source is no longer the issue it once was.

I'd actually have to look up the button sequence we used to use after having had it memorized for years!

Haven't sailed on Beyond yet, but on Reflection last month, yes, you could hook up your own devices through the HDMI port.  You would have to unplug the ethernet and power cycle the TV first.

Several of us carry universal remotes for, well, sanitary reasons and for having a remote that we are used to.

Edited by intr3pid

2 hours ago, intr3pid said:

Haven't sailed on Beyond yet, but on Reflection last month, yes, you could hook up your own devices through the HDMI port.  You would have to unplug the ethernet and power cycle the TV first.

Several of us carry universal remotes for, well, sanitary reasons and for having a remote that we are used to.

Yes. I did this on Equinox too

The universal remote really don't work and can cause your tv to lock up.  

They are using a new technology and the TV's run like a monitor  and the main screen is a URL link.

You can easily access the menus and normally (as taught to me by a butler)  you just follow instructions on video.   I've used this on every class of ship and most recently on Summit, Silhouette and Equinox

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unless a TV's firmware has been manually written over - which will reduce its residual value to zero - every TV can be run like a TV and controlled with a universal remote control - once you have reset it. 

What you are describing is Celebrity now allowing more TV controls with the in-room remote.  Including switching the inputs.  That's great, though not necessarily guaranteed across the fleet and in every room. 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

They are using a new technology and the TV's run like a monitor  and the main screen is a URL link.

You can easily access the menus and normally (as taught to me by a butler)  you just follow instructions on video.   I've used this on every class of ship and most recently on Summit, Silhouette and Equinox

Thanks Jim, I bookmarked it this time! 

1 hour ago, intr3pid said:

Unless a TV's firmware has been manually written over - which will reduce its residual value to zero - every TV can be run like a TV and controlled with a universal remote control - once you have reset it. 

What you are describing is Celebrity now allowing more TV controls with the in-room remote.  Including switching the inputs.  That's great, though not necessarily guaranteed across the fleet and in every room. 

You definitely can get into the firmware and easy enough to find the  "secret code" to get in    Yes you can get into the hidden menu and deactivate but trust me you don't want to .   I did once and couldn't get it to reset back to the HTML version and thus lost all control to view account and all the other things.   I had to fess up to my butler and have IT reset it from their control center not in the room.    I just couldn't help myself I've been hacking systems since computer were first launched.

On Summit I was trying my Samsung remote to more easily select the source but on 2 occasions it knocked out the controls to be able to move between selections on the screen - eg select the ships tv.   I had them remotely reset my tv and instantly back -   even tried unplugging for a hard boot to no avail. 

So far I have been able to use the method in the video on 7 ships across all classes of ships.    Will be interesting to see if it works on Solstice (not been touched with any revolution enhancements)    I'll let you know in December and the work around if necessary.

Edited by Jim_Iain

If I have that right ---

For those that won't recall what they saw in the video:

Press ‘CC’ button on remote (above green button)

Press ‘Menu’ button on remote (just below yellow button)

Pops up screen on TV

Scroll down to “Support”

Scroll down to “Source List”

and take your pick from there.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

You definitely can get into the firmware and easy enough to find the  "secret code" to get in    Yes you can get into the hidden menu and deactivate but trust me you don't want to .   I did once and couldn't get it to reset back to the HTML version and thus lost all control to view account and all the other things.   I had to fess up to my butler and have IT reset it from their control center not in the room.    I just couldn't help myself I've been hacking systems since computer were first launched.

On Summit I was trying my Samsung remote to more easily select the source but on 2 occasions it knocked out the controls to be able to move between selections on the screen - eg select the ships tv.   I had them remotely reset my tv and instantly back -   even tried unplugging for a hard boot to no avail. 

So far I have been able to use the method in the video on 7 ships across all classes of ships.    Will be interesting to see if it works on Solstice (not been touched with any revolution enhancements)    I'll let you know in December and the work around if necessary.

Hopefully, we are one step away from seeing the input button directly on the remote.  By now, they have probably figured out that opening up access to devices that use the Internet can only help the wifi sales. 

The reset process isn't through the menus.  What you want to do is unplug the network cable from the back of the TV.  That's where all the programming is being routed from.  This should stop the control overrides.  Next, unplug the power cable at the back of the TV,  wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

When the TV restarts and doesn't find the network, it will default to its factory controls.  You can now use the physical controls on the TV as well as your universal remote control.

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

We just bring along our home Samsung remote to enable changing inputs.  

Does Celebrity use Samsung TV's fleetwide including Beyond? 

Can I borrow your remote?  I dont have a Samsung TV.

15 hours ago, canderson said:

If I have that right ---

For those that won't recall what they saw in the video:

Press ‘CC’ button on remote (above green button)

Press ‘Menu’ button on remote (just below yellow button)

Pops up screen on TV

Scroll down to “Support”

Scroll down to “Source List”

and take your pick from there.

You got it.    Then when you get to Sources you can choose Mirroring, HDMI port (you must be plugged in and powered on for it to be selectable),  Blue tooth  --  If I recall they also have component and RBG.

I have tried  Mirroring a couple times and really messed up.   ON the ships I'm on you have to pick the TV and there are about a dozen all listed with the same name (I guess your neighbors).   I just played around until I found mine.    It is designed for a Android and was difficult with an iPhone.

I found on some TV's that there is a toggle button on the bottom Right corner and after you hit CC you can manually select the source.   Last cruise there was one on the Bedroom TV (old tv) but not on the new one in the Living Room.

13 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If you’re not in a top suite does one pay separately for WiFi for their tv device ?

otherwise I’ll just use my phone I guess 

Same for all your room.   You connect your device like Roku to one of your accounts or buy an additional if you so choose.   Upper suites RS and above get 4 accounts per room.

3 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

We just bring along our home Samsung remote to enable changing inputs.  

Good luck --- I have a Samsung remote and it no longer works out of the box.   At a minimum you have to first press the CC button (which put you into the first part of the setup) on the ships remote and then you can use the Samsung remote to change sources.   Like I said before -  on Summit when I used my Samsung it kicked the TV out of the ships system and the ships remote would no longer work.   

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

could I bring along an amazon firestick?  would it work the same way as a roku?

Yes.    I'm a Roku fan but Firestick probably easiest if you need VPN to spoof location.  Express VPN and NordVPN both have apps that work within Firestick.    Roku has no VPN support and you need to do it via an external source. 

I have two Firestick's which I had along on my last cruise and they worked fine.   My personal dislike of Firestick is all the advertisement and busy main screen.  Roku's very clean and streamlined but has been adding advertisements as of late.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good luck --- I have a Samsung remote and it no longer works out of the box.   At a minimum you have to first press the CC button (which put you into the first part of the setup) on the ships remote and then you can use the Samsung remote to change sources.   Like I said before -  on Summit when I used my Samsung it kicked the TV out of the ships system and the ships remote would no longer work.   

Funny I was on the same cruise as you and my Samsung remote worked fine.  I used the remote only to change the input, relying on the ship remote to do the rest.  On the Thanksgiving cruise last year, I had the ship IT department open the box under the TV in the RS, to give access to the HDMI inputs. The Reflection did require the cc process.

21 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Funny I was on the same cruise as you and my Samsung remote worked fine.  I used the remote only to change the input, relying on the ship remote to do the rest.  On the Thanksgiving cruise last year, I had the ship IT department open the box under the TV in the RS, to give access to the HDMI inputs. The Reflection did require the cc process.

LOL.... I have to say Celebrity isn't consistent.    We had one room on that cruise that the Room Remote had a Source Button on it but the one in the bedroom didn't.    I have occasionally had the Samsung work without the CC command but like I said on Summit on our last cruise in a CS it would screw up the TV every time I tried so gave up on in and use the CC - Menu xxx  routine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thank you !  
this worked on Beyond today and now I am watching my iPhone content on the tv. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1