Queen Victoria In Search of Northern Lights V227

photosg

As Host Hattie ends her notes from the Mediterranean I thought I’d take up the baton and post about my 12 days onboard Queen Victoria. The cruise only starts on Tuesday 11 October, but as our little group has to journey all the way from Singapore, our travel starts tomorrow night with a flight to Heathrow and we will spend 2 days in Oxford before embarking Queen Victoria.

We were on Queen Victoria to Iceland in 2018 and then Queen Elizabeth to Alaska in 2019. We were looking forward to calling on St Petersburg back on Queen Victoria but just after final payment the world of cruising started to make headlines. By the time we were supposed to board we couldn’t even visit our friends next door, let alone foreign lands.

When we booked 17 months ago, we had no inkling that Russia would mount a “special operation”. The reason we didn’t book the Baltic again was because we didn’t think travel would be “back to normal” in May, October seemed a safer bet. Even so, we weren’t sure if we would actually make it. It’s beginning to look more likely now so let’s hope for an uneventful three days.

Keeping my fingers crossed until we step onboard. Once we are I’d be overjoyed enough to answer any questions about life onboard that you may have.

• Like 6

Best wishes for your voyage @photosg!  We're on the QM2 version of Norway in a few weeks from now in November, so will be eager to hear of your experiences.

I see that your itinerary includes a cruise-by to Romsdalsfjord, which QM2's does not.  If you have a chance, and would like to contribute to the "Where in the World" port game, please share a photo.  Romsdalsfjord is an unseen cruise-by in the game.  Thanks!

Edited by sfred
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I think I'll look forward to reading your posts.

We cancelled this trip just over two weeks ago so gutted we won't be there.

sorry to hear about your cancellation.

i usually photograph all my meals. 😅

19 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Have a great trip, I look forward to reading all about it.

Thanks so much! And thank you for your daily updates on your cruise. They really helped me prepare for this cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sfred said:

Best wishes for your voyage @photosg!  We're on the QM2 version of Norway in a few weeks from now in November, so will be eager to hear of your experiences.

I see that your itinerary includes a cruise-by to Romsdalsfjord, which QM2's does not.  If you have a chance, and would like to contribute to the "Where in the World" port game, please share a photo.  Romsdalsfjord is an unseen cruise-by in the game.  Thanks!

Thank you so much! I will definitely be taking lots of photos! Will be happy to submit once I figure out how to. 😅

13 hours ago, techteach said:

I’ll be sailing and reading along with you. Have safe travels @photosg.

oh yes! saw you in our roll call. You are most welcome to post your observations under this topic too. Hope to see you onboard. 😊

23 hours ago, techteach said:

Oops, even that could be read incorrectly - I am sitting in my big chair. You are cruising. Ugh…sorry for the confusion.

sorry for the confusion! i thought i saw your name on the roll call so made the assumption. 😬

• Like 1

Sunday 9th of October. (2 days to go)

Landed at Heathrow at about 6:15am. The airbridge took longer than usual to connect and it was a long trek to the UK Border where there was about a 10 minute wait to get through the autogates. There was no wait at the manned counters but one brave soul who ducked under the queue dividers to join the manned counter line was sternly ordered to return to the longer line for the auto gates. it was all a bit ironic as about 1 in 3 people failed to go through automatically and had to be processed by a human being anyway. Our bags were already waiting for us when we got to the baggage reclaim carousel and we were out past customs at Terminal 2 by a little after 7:15. Our taxi was booked for 7:30 but at 7:20 our driver called to say he was at the carpark.

It was a pleasant drive to Oxford past fields of sheep.

We were far too early to get into our hotel rooms so we left our luggage and went to breakfast and we were early enough for 11am Mass. We got our rooms after lunch and then went to explore the shops that were open on Sunday. (Not all were.) We had a tiny rest and then headed out to Christchurch Cathedral for Sunday Evensong. It was a beautiful and nostalgic service.

Dinner back at the hotel was a M&S sandwich bought earlier.

About to crash after a very long day and complete with jet lag.269E42A2-7F0B-42AB-A4F4-F4A2DB3C69BC.thumb.jpeg.19f9b209c88a1a6c7777510938f0af0f.jpeg02B2CE31-FFA6-4323-905C-55293167B8B9.thumb.jpeg.0094ac5c6cb87045fa77bce7297e99c1.jpegB2B974DC-20E3-432B-9A0A-9C88BED35434.thumb.jpeg.3d7c7796686776c5db39075c7778d7a9.jpeg5D95848E-EEFE-4070-911B-5901E31FF01E.thumb.jpeg.8efeb473a3239168715a2dc17b645331.jpeg

Edited by photosg
  • Like 6

Monday 10 October (1 day to go)

It rained in the early morning but it stopped a little after 7am. The rest of the day was sunny.

We went to visit a couple of colleges and then did a bit of shopping before lunch at the Covered Market.

We spent a couple of hours wandering around the Ashmolean Museum in the afternoon.

Dinner was at The Royal Oak. 

A slightly later night but trying not to fall asleep as I’m entering this.

The excitement for tomorrow is building.

Edited by photosg
  • Like 5

We’re onboard! (and connected.)

Wed 12 October (Day 2)

Thank you for your kind wishes @Victoria2 and @HostHattie !

Yesterday we had a very pleasant drive down the A34 past fields of cows this time.

It was thrilling to see the words “Queen Victoria” on the electronic sign as we entered the port. Even more excited to see the words painted on the prow when we drove up to the ship. We were out of the taxi a little before 12:30 and an extremely friendly porter helped us attach our luggage tags and relieved us of our suitcases. We were greeted and waved on into the terminal and up the escalators. We breezed through the chipper health declaration tables and even through a cheery check in. But then it all came to a shuddering halt when a lady auditioning for Emma Thompson’s part in the new Matilda movie ordered us to sit (SIT!!! NO STANDING) in rows in the order we had arrived. 

I think it was around 1pm or a little after that they asked Grills to proceed through security. This was followed by Diamond and then Platinum, but there was no priority for Gold. Like everyone else we were invited to clear security row by row in the order that we arrived.

Once it got to our row the line for security was once again fast moving and we stepped onboard a little after 2:00pm. We were then directed to our muster station to be scanned in. I then rushed to drop my stuff in my room before heading to the Golden Lion. It was 2:20pm and the server announce last orders. I ordered 3 fish and chips and both desserts.

We had made it. I was surprised how emotional I was as i took a deep breath after texting my family that we had safely made in onboard.

Our cruise had begun.

• Like 7

Still updating about Tue 11 October.

After early dinner, the show and my first visit to the Lido to stock up on my late night snack I had time to visit the shop.

Sad to report that there are still no bears for sale. Only the plush ships.

There was a reindeer going for 50% plus 15% off, so I decided he would do nicely.
I was so taken by the deal I didn’t notice or realise that he’s actually a Swedish rather than Norwegian reindeer until I was back in my room.
(Today, Wednesday, 2751FBC9-D790-447B-A34B-3E54E6EF1F84.thumb.jpeg.d7571790bf4da0a1f68cbc7d3936ab88.jpegFCF1A4CC-CE2D-47A1-9B70-2FD8589183EC.thumb.jpeg.e96e3d91badcfa1655cee2e7c96d7106.jpeghe’s now 75% off!!!)

• Like 2