QV live: trip to Amsterdam

LadyL1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LadyL1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We decided we needed a city break, and with the air chaos of cancellations we thought this short voyage to Amsterdam where QV stays overnight, would be ideal. We are only about 1hr 30 mins from the port, so much easier than an airport run.
Yesterday we took our COVID tests, that were thankfully negative, and the packing started. We have a formal B&W night to look forward to and hopefully fine weather for walking a very interesting city. 
We arrived at the terminal about 1.15pm, and after depositing the case, joined a “Disneyesque” queue through the barriers to enter the main building. No special treatment here for Grills or priority boarders. The passengers were being let through in groups to stop overcrowding. Once inside this is where those with a “fast pass” we’re filtered. This trip has been sold out for some time and the ship noticeably has a buzz!
Carnival must be rubbing their hands with glee as the bars were busy from the start, which is good to see, and the grey windy sailaway was well attended. The ship left its berth with the aid of a tug on and we are on our way to Amsterdam.
We checked our table in the Britannia dining room, which is lovely at the back of the restaurant: let’s hope the food will come up to expectations!
We have been advised we should arrive tomorrow at 10.00am.

6C56D2C5-1AD5-42FB-9E8D-C98619F6C876.jpeg

• Like 8

Last night we enjoyed a very pleasant: the service was excellent. Our table for 2 had no near neighbour and the closest table was empty as the the original occupants were not happy at being at the back of the ship, due to motion and noise. Nearly everyone was well dressed and it all seemed very elegant for a first night!

This morning we arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes before breakfast closure and there was quite a queue! We did however, get the requested  table for 2 and my avocado on sourdough with smoked salmon on the side was perfect.
A beautiful morning in the North Sea and we passed the locks in brilliant sunshine with many hundreds out on deck to watch. The ship is now docking at 3.00pm rather than morning which was announced last night.
The WiFi in our room (midships deck 6) seems generally OK, but does  drop out. We signed for the Premium package as our benefit well covered the extra cost.
I have to say, everyone seems very happy to be onboard and there are many first time cruisers and those new to Cunard.
Before we leave the ship for the city later I hope to have a second swim when the pools are not so busy! But for now I will enjoy the scenery as we approach Amsterdam.

25F0CF65-963F-4209-9FF0-F5B0505AF2AC.jpeg

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, baw53 said:

Thanks for posting .Has the mandatory mask protocol been removed? 

From what I’ve read on Facebook it wasn’t mandatory on the previous cruise - part way through the trip everyone received  a letter that said ‘We now ask you to wear a mask…’ on clarification at the Purser’s desk it was confirmed that this didn’t mean it was mandatory.

I’m not sure if it was accidental or deliberate that Cunard were a bit vague in the wording!

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Sounds like a great start, was there any explanation for the delay, 5 hours seems quite a lot ?

We went on a Celebrity cruise a few months ago to Amsterdam and had a delayed departure from there which suited everyone nicely!

Apparently, there’s also a lack of water in European waterways so the lock timings are now very restrictive, especially to bigger ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

From what I’ve read on Facebook it wasn’t mandatory on the previous cruise - part way through the trip everyone received  a letter that said ‘We now ask you to wear a mask…’ on clarification at the Purser’s desk it was confirmed that this didn’t mean it was mandatory.

I’m not sure if it was accidental or deliberate that Cunard were a bit vague in the wording!

There is no need to rely on Facebook, I was on the previous cruise and posted regularly on this board. There was no vagueness, masks were required.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

There is no need to rely on Facebook, I was on the previous cruise and posted regularly on this board. There was no vagueness, masks were required.

Another person on board queried this  at the pursers desk who advised it wasn’t mandatory.  

I’ve no reason to doubt either of you - Hatty did you confirm with any of the staff if the letter meant it was mandatory?  I would have probably assumed that’s what the letter meant - but it was a bit vague.  They should have really said ‘You must wear a mask..’ if that’s what their intention was.

Just now, Host Hattie said:

Let's not disrupt this Live from please. I have posted a copy of the letter and the Captain's words on my thread. There was very high compliance so everyone understood the intent.

Sure - though it would be good to hear from the OP if masks are required or not on the current trip!

I will ask my other question on the previous thread.

• Like 1

It has been a very good day overall!

With regard to the late arrival today I believe it could have been due to the “Grachtenrace Amsterdam” which we had particularly wanted to see this weekend. It is a canal race for rowers in boats of all sizes, of nearly 25km which started at 11.00am at the Olympic Stadium and passes by the terminal. A great pity as looking forward to this, and cannot think of any other reason why we should have had such a late arrival.

The weather has been beautiful and a long walk in the city quite invigorating. We have drawn the short straw as have berthed without turning for departure so our starboard balcony overlooks the new port building which has architectural interest but a water view would have been preferable.

A super meal again tonight with perhaps a third of the pax deciding Amsterdam had more to offer! Very relaxing watching the lights of the city and the evening water life from our table.

The theatre saw “The Overtures” performing as a 60’s tribute group. An amazing versatile performance thoroughly enjoyed by all, with a great visual backdrop. Seen many tribute bands but this one rates amongst the very best alongside “The Rewind Project” also seen on QV. It was standing only for the last few numbers.

As to someone’s query on masks, an absolute minority are wearing them and there has been no suggestion we should do so from the Captain. However, I am very disappointed by so many people disregarding sanitising their hands when entering the lido, where we have grabbed a drink on a few occasions. One would think common sense would prevail after all we have been through! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, techteach said:

Oh My! Tell me about the bicycles. I’ve never been to Amsterdam. Are they to rent? Are they left to be retrieved?

In the city there are more bicycles than cars. Multiple rental locations and cycle lanes literally everywhere. One can find a bicycle with child carts attached, child seats,  a few tandems or electric bikes, and of course the terrain is very flat!

People of every age possess a bike in Holland!

• Like 1

Last night we departed Amsterdam at 10.30pm exactly as planned: a beautiful but chilly evening with a full moon shining on us.
This had been the B&W gala night, which was embraced by nearly all. Interestingly, a few were being refused entry to the MDR, if inappropriate clothing was being worn. The food and service excellent. Again there was a good buzz around the ship, generated by a much younger average age of pax. Noticeably more money being spent in the venues, and we have heard that the Yacht Club has been operating well into the night. I expect that tonight when The Overtures perform in the Queens Room, it will be full and atmospheric.
This morning although the sea looks relatively calm it was extremely windy when taking a walk on deck 3. By the time we came in the red corded barriers were pulled across the outer doorsc.
My lunch in the MDR of spinach & chickpea fritters followed by curried mussels was superb. Strangely as the ship is very full the restaurant was little used.: the lido must have been heaving. Today the infamous afternoon tea will be the first time available for so many “newbies” (the ship being like the Marie Celeste whilst in port). By 2.40 pm all the tables were occupied amidst the setting up, and there was a queue! 
As the sun is now shining I think I may go and take a last dip albeit the rather low air temperature.

52F73F3F-3569-47A3-A44C-AF8225C9ED61.jpeg

• Like 3

So, we are home now after a thoroughly enjoyable 4 nights. The Overtures in the Queens room last was rather a disappointment as sound quality was not so good, but all the same, plenty of passengers wanted to rock n’ roll to 60’s music.

The journey back to Southampton was uneventful as the sea was almost flat calm, but it was very interesting passing the through the Straits of Dover in daylight hours and viewing the increasing number of wind farms and marine traffic.
If you are wanting to know was this trip value for money, the resounding answer was YES! A city weekend without the hassle of airports and subsequent hotel transfers by taxi or public transport.
Ours was quite a late booking, so it was Britannia rooms or nothing. What did we miss? Undoubtably not having a large bathroom and The Grills sun deck! Although we met some lovely people, having one’s own table and the freedom to eat whenever was missed,  but not such a problem as we thought on this short voyage.
Many people have complained that the standards are slipping, but prices for current cruises are much less in comparative terms than 20 years ago, but they are on the rise again. Carnival is still haemorrhaging $$$$s, and to survive appropriate measures have to be taken. At least this past cruise with healthy bar visitations will help the coffers in a small way, more so than cruises full of the "old faithful”. We all have to accept what is on offer now, and somethings have to modernised, but they must work!  Technology is not going away.
Next month we will be embarking QV again, and with these thoughts, still look forward to some winter warmth but with  our own space.

Below, October English Channel cruising and The White Cliffs of Dover.

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

• Like 5