How strictly is port arrival time enforced for pier-assistance guests?

adwo41

TA next year on Freedom from Port Canaveral. How can I book a shuttle well in advance from my MCO hotel to the ship without having been assigned a port arrival time?

How strictly does Carnival enforce port arrival times for guests with mobility issues? Surely they don't make early arrivals wait outside? Or do they? I'm ambulatory, but I can't remain standing for long. I don't mind waiting if I'm early, provided they dump me in a chair first!

So, if I book a shuttle from my hotel, should I opt for a 0900, 1000, or 1100 am pickup?

Edited by adwo41

Every port is different but in Galveston there's very little space to sit outside of the main terminal. The arrival times are sometimes enforced and people are required to wait- I've seen them several times in fact (again in Galveston). I would, given the situation, book a late shuttle time. The later boarding times for the ship rarely book up fast if at all. The early slots go quick but not the ones later in the day. So if you book a later shuttle now then you should have no trouble getting a later arrival slot when the time comes. I'm not sure what the boarding times are for that voyage but as an example if the last boarding time is 3 for the ship then I'd book a noon shuttle from MCO getting you there about an hour (a little more than an hour) later at around 1-1:15pm and set my arrival time for 1:30. I think you have a thirty minute window, technically but then I also think at that point even if you are late or a little early depending on traffic it won't matter. Again it's mostly an issue earlier in the day where the arrival slots have all booked up in advance and there's large crowds.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adwo41 said:

TA next year on Freedom from Port Canaveral. How can I book a shuttle well in advance from my MCO hotel to the ship without having been assigned a port arrival time?

How strictly does Carnival enforce port arrival times for guests with mobility issues? Surely they don't make early arrivals wait outside? Or do they? I'm ambulatory, but I can't remain standing for long. I don't mind waiting if I'm early, provided they dump me in a chair first!

So, if I book a shuttle from my hotel, should I opt for a 0900, 1000, or 1100 am pickup?

DW uses a walker (like you mostly to sit on longer walks than walking assistance) and last month in Charleston they let us right into checkin and put us on the first set of busses heading over to the terminal to board even though we were the fourth or fifth boarding group technically.

If you have issues with walking long distances I'd highly recommend taking a walker that you can sit on as you go. Works great for DW at embark and debark and on those long walks between the cabin and dining room, etc. (plus if they do make you wait outside  you'll have somehwere to sit until they do let you in)

Might help to know if you are platinum or not.

Platinums get to book their boarding time 16 days before the cruise rather than 14 days.

If you are platinum and book your time ASAP you should have no problem getting an 9:30 or 10 AM slot.

If you are not Platinum, then I'm not sure how fast times go on the Mardi Gras.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Can't guarantee what they may do next year but the option is there for a late arrival and check-in time to ensure there will be no issue.

Yeah let all the early loons board before 1 -2 PM and breeze on through.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adwo41 said:

Without going into the check in procedures, why not call Carnival and find out if you can arrive at any time and board