How rough are the seas compared to a "regular" cruise?

I've got a transatlantic booked and a friend of mine might join it. They are concerned about the rough seas. They have plenty of experience with local cruises (Mexican cruises out of San Diego and Los Angeles).

All the talk I see about TA rough seas talk about how various times/routes compare to other TA cruises. But are TA cruises inherently rougher in general than "regular" cruises. 

Our route in particular would be Southampton-Canary Islands-Bermuda-NYC in October.

thanks!

It is impossible to predict what the seas will be like.  A trans-Atlantic crossing can be more smooth than a cruise in the Caribbean or in the Pacific.  Winter crossings can be expected to be rough at times, but, that is also true with crossings at any other time of the year as well.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mara.something said:

I've got a transatlantic booked and a friend of mine might join it. They are concerned about the rough seas. They have plenty of experience with local cruises (Mexican cruises out of San Diego and Los Angeles).

All the talk I see about TA rough seas talk about how various times/routes compare to other TA cruises. But are TA cruises inherently rougher in general than "regular" cruises. 

Our route in particular would be Southampton-Canary Islands-Bermuda-NYC in October.

thanks!

I have crossed the Atlantic way too many times and have experienced everything from a mill pond to 50'+ waves. Weather is always changing, so what someone experienced last week or year provides little clues to what you will experience. 

The time of year, latitude and direction of crossing also are key factors in what you may experience.

Best advice is plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mara.something said:

thanks!

Your route will skirt the North Atlantic from Bermuda to NY.  Your run from Soto to the Canaries can be a bit of each.  The good news is that rough seas don’t last long.  It should be mostly calm but you never know for sure.  October can be calm and it can be choppy but overall I would say it will be calm and you will enjoy it.  We have had many good October sailings in the North Atlantic and maybe two that were rough but fun.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 12:11 PM, mara.something said:

thanks!

We did a transatlantic from Venice, Italy to Ft Lauderdale, FL a few years ago. Six days at sea and we had one really rough day so here’s how to avoid sea sickness and I guarantee it will work. If you know it’s going to get bad then go to the sushi bar and pick up about five good strips of raw ginger. Eat it up ahead of time to avoid getting sick or wait till you might need it. 

also it’s no fun walking like you’re drunk when you’re stone cold sober… LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The worst sea we have on was a transatlantic, in Nov 2023 on the Equinox 

it was when we were still in the Mediterranean between Toulon and Barcelona, 15 m waves 

the rest of the cruise was smooth 

I'd be more concerned with the jet lag on the time travel flight that about the waves on the ocean...🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind the occasional storm.

Usually the captain will go around it, or something as good.  If your ship is rocking badly enough to matter to you, you can minimize it by hanging around the lower decks. If you have to deal with seasickness, get ginger in just about any form - ginger ale, ginger beer, ginger cookies, raw ginger. All will help. You may want to skip dinner in the dining rooms, but you can pick up a small snack if you're hungry - which you won't be if you're seasick.

If all else fails, go to bed. The rocking will become quite pleasant, like being rocked in your mother's arms. I did that during one storm where I couldn't find any ginger.

If you're like me and you enjoy thrill rides, go to a dance floor on the highest deck you can find, and if the rocking is severe enough, you can experience something like weightlessness, followed of course by standing up with several G's. 😉

I would say that in all my Atlantic crossings, I would estimate maybe one significant storm for each three times you cross. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

My first transatlantic was in March 2022. The ocean was incredibly calm. We sailed from Rio so I suspect we sailed across the Atlantic in the doldrums, which would have helped.

When sailing from Southampton several years ago in August, the Bay of Biscay had a 6m (18ft) swell, so many people were seasick.

For you, I think it will be pot luck on the waves, but life's an adventure. As other have said, ginger helps - try a few ginger based cocktails!