Amex Platinum Travel Insurance

cusematt4

Hi,

I am new to  Amex Platinum, and with the current NCL amex offer, I'd like to use our platinum card(s) to book a cruise.

For Amex Travel Insurance - does anyone know if this is sufficient for medical coverage?  I know it is secondary, but if we have no other insurance, I imagine the medical/evacuation benefits would go into effect.  Does anyone have any answers to the below:

-What medical coverage is included?

-If a family member across our two related bookings gets the flu or covid prior to the cruise, are there cancellation benefits that would reimburse us the cost of the trip?

-For platinum travel benefits, I know the full trip has to be booked with an amex platinum card.  If there are 4 family members / friends across two rooms, can we each use our platinum card with the reservations being fully paid for by platinum (2 platinum cards in each of our names per each room), or does it have to be the same one platinum card per reservation?

-Are there any add on options for additional coverage?

-Does anyone have experience with coverage and claims?  We've used Travel Insured and they were a nightmare to deal with for claims.

Thank you.

Also a few additional questions whether with Amex platinum insurance or if I get a travelex policy to be primary with Amex acting as secondary

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid a few days before the cruise and a doctor deemed them unfit to travel, would this be covered?

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid during a cruise and is required to quarantine for the rest of it, would they be entitled to reimbursement?

-if we have 2 rooms for 4 people and if one person gets Covid or the flu prior to the cruise, would we all be able to cancel if we have connecting reservations?  Or would only the person in the room with the Covid positive person be entitled to reimbursement?  We all live in the same household if that matters.  We wouldn’t want to cruise without each other if one of the four of us was to be unable to travel.

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Also a few additional questions whether with Amex platinum insurance or if I get a travelex policy to be primary with Amex acting as secondary

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid a few days before the cruise and a doctor deemed them unfit to travel, would this be covered?

-for trip cancellation and interruption if included in a policy, if a family member was to get Covid during a cruise and is required to quarantine for the rest of it, would they be entitled to reimbursement?

-if we have 2 rooms for 4 people and if one person gets Covid or the flu prior to the cruise, would we all be able to cancel if we have connecting reservations?  Or would only the person in the room with the Covid positive person be entitled to reimbursement?  We all live in the same household if that matters.  We wouldn’t want to cruise without each other if one of the four of us was to be unable to travel.

Thank you very much

For any specific coverage questions like this, I'd strongly suggest that you call the insurer, and ask them.  If they state it would be covered, then ask them to point out the exact section of the coverage terms that include this.  And then make sure that the wording actually matches the situation you are describing.

We've had quite a few claims with Travel Insured, btw, including some large ones. All were paid without nonsense. 

Most of the times here (not always, of course) when there are complaints about insurance coverage, it tends to be either a problem with needing exact receipts or copies of medical records, OR that the situation wasn't actually covered in the first place.

Also:  We always get the coverage with TI through TripInsuranceStore.  They can then help IF there is any difficulty with claims.

Did you finally get paid by TI?

GC

If you are talking about buying the Platinum policy from American Express Travel Insurance to go with the travel benefits offered by your Platinum card, you’ll probably have to log into your account to get the full description of the policy.

Apparently the insurance covers cancellation for illness so if you or a family member is diagnosed with COVID or flu, you are covered. The Platinum policy has a maximum of $1000,000 so that is plenty. The card alone has no medical.

You are wasting your money to buy a Travelex policy and an American Express policy. A single, good comprehensive policy will cover cancellation, interruption, delay and medical/evacuation.

You are trying too hard to buy an American Express policy that you don’t know anything about and may not be best suited for you. Find one that meets your needs, regardless of the company.

You need help sorting this out. Read your Guide to Benefits for the card, call American Express for clarification, then call the folks at Trip Insurance store to explore other options. Tell them what risks you are concerned about, and let them help you.

Edited by Babr

I should clarify that the cancellation coverage is limited to $10,000 per trip for the Platinum card, but there is no medical coverage.

The Platinum insurance plan is purchased separately. It provides up to 100% cancellation and up to $100,000 in medical.