Dress code

Ja21

37 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Then don't pack it. It's not mandated but you have to accept your movements will be limited for a couple of nights. 

Not very limited on iona or Arvia, only the MDR's , sindhu, epicurian and the Crows Nest are formal

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Arvia has one formal for a 2 week cruise, likewise is it worth it.  I love formal and was very happy with 4 in a 2 week cruise. But only one, cant be bothered which is a shame. Still wear smart and i mean smart casual at night, not the ancient polo shirt 

There were 4 on Britannia and we skipped 3 of them. On Iona there will be 2 and we will skip them both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

That said what harm did some in formal attire do to your meal in Horizon?  Did it make it taste different? 

Part of me is definitely playing devil's advocate on this one... But I was kind of expecting a relatively quiet evening in Horizon as the formal folks disappeared off to their relative restaurants, only to find it as busy as ever.

1 hour ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Maybe the sign is to indicate a mimimum dress code.  Ie no swimwear or naked torso. 

I expect that would be the case. On my recent cruise on Azura there were signs outside the Horizon and Beach House on formal nights indicating that a smart casual dress code applied. I took the signs to mean that black tie was not required but that the normal smart casual restrictions remained in force.

Edited by Denarius
Clarification.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Arvia has one formal for a 2 week cruise, likewise is it worth it.  I love formal and was very happy with 4 in a 2 week cruise. But only one, cant be bothered which is a shame. Still wear smart and i mean smart casual at night, not the ancient polo shirt 

That’s my thinking.  I

like formal evenings. Uk based cruise is ok but it seems a pain. 

23 hours ago, cheshire said:

If Arvia has two formal nights on a carribean cruise it’s a faff packing one outfit for that alone.  Jackets, shoes, formal shirts. Weight is tight enough as it is 

Weight is tight? Without the formal night it would be easy enough to travel with only hand-luggage.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, Open_G said:

Not long back from my first Cruise on P&O Aurora, while my biggest trepidation regarding the cruise was the dress code things turned out fine other than one small but significant bugbear...

We opted out of the formal nights specifically as neither of us is massively keen on the whole dressing up thing, and I barely own a suit, let alone a tux... However, it rather annoyed me to see people frequenting the Horizon buffet restaurant in their formal attire- there are specific signs up asking people to maintain a casual dress in the Horizon... I get it that they may not be going to the restaurants, and just to one of the bars with the dress code in place, but seriously? I am expected to adhere to the dress code and avoid the restaurants on formal nights. Surely the same should be expected in the specifically designated casual areas...

Never seen any such signs on my many cruises on P&O. I have seen many asking guests to cover up when eating in the buffet. Nothing saying that they can't wear more. As others have said the signs are indicating a minimum dress code, not the maximum.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Never seen any such signs on my many cruises on P&O. I have seen many asking guests to cover up when eating in the buffet. Nothing saying that they can't wear more. As others have said the signs are indicating a minimum dress code, not the maximum.

That's my impression as well.  It is smart casual minimum,  not smart casual only.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe road said:

No such thing as ‘dress code’ anymore. Recent cruise people into MDR with jeans on. Formal nights people allowed into Crows nest in sports shirts and chinos. In the past they wouldn’t have been allowed in.

Standards, eh!  I bet nobody stands up anymore when the captain enters the room!🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s not about ‘standing up for the captain’ (where did that come from), or violating anything. It’s standards, PandO set a standard, this is what we expect you to do in these areas. If you don’t want to do it, fine, but don’t knock the ones that do. Or P and O should do away with any guidelines, and just do as you want.

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe road said:

It’s not about ‘standing up for the captain’ (where did that come from)...

I was being ironic, hence the rolling eyes emoji!😉 (Zap and Snow Hill got it)

I am up for the dress code and agree with your other points.🙂

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe road said:

It’s not about ‘standing up for the captain’ (where did that come from), or violating anything. It’s standards, PandO set a standard, this is what we expect you to do in these areas. If you don’t want to do it, fine, but don’t knock the ones that do. Or P and O should do away with any guidelines, and just do as you want.

I totally agree.  But also those that do shouldn't knock the ones that don't do but live with the movement restrictions for an evening.  Using a lift or communal corridor isn't a restricted area and the two camps shall mix and be friendly.

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

I totally agree.  But also those that do shouldn't knock the ones that don't do but live with the movement restrictions for an evening.  Using a lift or communal corridor isn't a restricted area and the two camps shall mix and be friendly.

I don't mind people not adhering to the dress code but there are times I get annoyed. One example was a Celebration night onboard Iona. A large group, I assumed they were a family were sitting/standing together in the Atrium in scruffy clothes which I might have worn when gardening. You couldn't help noticing them, but the killer for me was the next night they were dressed in acceptable smart casual. They did the same on the following weeks Celebration night, obviously trying to wind people up.