Sailing with a Teen.

I've been reading a bit about sailing with a teen.  I'll be sailing on Anthem next month with my grown sons and grandson, age16.   I understand that my grandson will have to check in the Teen Club on boarding day to get a wristband to participate in activities.   Is this still the case?   Will my son (grandson's dad) have to sign a release at the same time for him to participate in activities?   Will he need anything different to use the flowrider, rock wall, gym, etc. or does the wristband cover it all for the week?

Thanks for any info.  We've cruised quite a bit but this is the first time for son and grandson.

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The teen’s guardian needs to sign in. And the teen needs to go the first night to make friends. Also, if the teen is sailing without his mother, you need to have the proper paperwork to allow the teen to cruise. 

Thank you.  I'll make sure my son gets documentation from my grandson's mother.   What exactly is needed?   

3 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

Thank you.  I'll make sure my son gets documentation from my grandson's mother.   What exactly is needed?   

Its a good idea to have...But they or customs will never look at....I've cruised 5x with my grandson from ages 5-13....Never once asked to see it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

Some people carry a permission slip and medical power of attorney.  It's questionably necessary for a loop cruise but a few countries do require it for air travel.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Some people carry a permission slip and medical power of attorney.  It's questionably necessary for a loop cruise but a few countries do require it for air travel.

I can see the permission slip but as his father and legal guardian he can make medical decisions for his child. I’ve filled out forms giving my mother permission to take my kids out of the country and permission to make medical decisions, she needed both forms once (the medical one here at home when I was away).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The teen’s guardian needs to sign in. And the teen needs to go the first night to make friends. Also, if the teen is sailing without his mother, you need to have the proper paperwork to allow the teen to cruise. 

I can absolutely understand the scenario if the teen was sailing with neither of their parents but if you already have one parent with you there should be no need for this. It is ridiculous that proper paperwork would be required. 

3 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

I can absolutely understand the scenario if the teen was sailing with neither of their parents but if you already have one parent with you there should be no need for this. It is ridiculous that proper paperwork would be required. 

And if the parents are in the middle of a custody battle?  

• Like 1

I can offer one other advantage for checking in with the teen/tweens club, they sometimes have teen specific events, like the time slot they gave them to have only the teens using the bumper cars, it was age 12 and up ONLY< not sure the upper cut off, but those who had been to the club already had the sticker on their card.  They check Very carefully, those of us who had teens who had not yet been, they checked their cards against a list they had of everyones ages.  Then he got the sticker, they were fast but he would have gone on sooner if he had already registered his age with the club and been stickered, the teens love those takeover events... great for meeting friends.  Club staff were on hand since these events are outside the walls of the club space, I was really impressed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

What happens If the teen is sailing with his mother but not his father?

8 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

What happens If the teen is sailing with his mother but not his father?

Or what if the father associates as the mother?...  or there are two fathers?....  Let's not leave LGBTQ+ parents out of the loop here.......

It's the same outcome regardless which parent they travel with -- the other is advised by some to provide a notarized letter of consent for that parent to take the minor out of the country so there's no accusations of taking a minor beyond the bounds of a custody or joint parenting agreement.  And no, still being married to each other doesn't alleviate the need.

All a moot point on a loop cruise, but an arguably valid concern for air travel or a land crossing.

Edited by Lane Hog

On 10/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

My son is adopted and I am his only legal parent. I have never been asked for any paperwork showing this. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 11:01 PM, Lane Hog said:

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

• Like 1