TSA Pre Check

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a new program that hasn't rolled out to all airports yet

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/tsa-is-no-longer-scanning-boarding-passes-at-these-airports

That has been my experience over the last year or so.  Like I said, neither Nashville nor Boston last week needed a boarding pass.  Actually, I saw the group in front of me with TSA Pre-Check that had a child with them and the agent did ask for his boarding pass, presumably because he was too young to have an ID.  The parents did not show a boarding pass - only ID, just as I did. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, NotPayinExtra said:

What kind of time saving, luck, experience etc, have you had with pre check?

It has been a HUGE time-saver at security especially since we are usually tech-laden in our carry-ons (I usually have my personal and work computer, husband typically has a few devices and either wears boots or high top sneakers to fly.  Keeping shoes on and electronics in the bag speeds things up quite a bit.  When wrangling the kids (who are now all adults), it was super helpful too.  

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a new program that hasn't rolled out to all airports yet

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/tsa-is-no-longer-scanning-boarding-passes-at-these-airports

If you read the article this is one of TSA/CBP attempts to fulfill their promise to speed up boarding/crossing times.  According to the article they have linked the secure passenger databases for ID and boarding.  Well, welcome to the 21st Century.  So, they scan your ID and hopefully it matches with the boarding database.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

3 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you read the article this is one of TSA/CBP attempts to fulfill their promise to speed up boarding/crossing times.  According to the article they have linked the secure passenger databases for ID and boarding.  Well, welcome to the 21st Century.  So, they scan your ID and hopefully it matches with the boarding database.    

Having the name on your ID match your boarding pass has always been an issue.  I think they only go by first and last name plus DOB.  My wife uses two different middle names.  Apparently, when we married and she changed her name, she somehow used her given middle name (which she hates) instead of her maiden name.  So on officially federal documents, her middle name is different than what she has on her DL and anything else she signs.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:32 AM, mpk said:

How about hiking boots?  I take them on trips with mud and rain, and they're too big for luggage.  So I wear them on the plane...

For Pre-check they don't care about your choice of footwear.   However.... if there's any supporting metal in the boots (e.g. an arch support or steel toe) it's going to set of the magnetometer, and you'll be asked to remove them and run them thru the x-ray.  Depending on the boots, the eyelets for lacing them up might be enough to set off a sensitive mag.

Crocs and Sketchers slip-ons have been my new airport shoes of choice.  No metal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

Having the name on your ID match your boarding pass has always been an issue.  I think they only go by first and last name plus DOB.  My wife uses two different middle names.  

DW uses a shortened first name in regular life but all her legal doc's are in the full first name.  We haven't had an issue yet but always try to use the full name for travel, no reason to take a chance.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, iuki said:

My friend has dealt with eating disorders because of her weight issues and, despite losing weight, she still sees herself as overweight and is embarrassed to divulge her weight, even to her husband.  So, what a couple of you seem to think is so trivial is something very painful to her.  Now I’m sorry I asked.  She was right, people are judgmental of people with weight issues.  

Not judgemental AT ALL! When TSA is looking at biometrics, this can be very important!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

Not judgemental AT ALL! When TSA is looking at biometrics, this can be very important!

People gain and lose weight all the time.  But it doesn’t matter now.  My friend decided not to do the TSA Pre-check.