traveling with 22-year-old grandson

DebbieCruises

We are taking our grandson on a cruise in December on the Encore to celebrate his graduation from Tennessee Tech. Although we are thrilled to know we'll get to spend a week with him, I know he would enjoy being around some people his own age during the cruise, too. Is the singles group more for an older group or will he find other single 20-somethings to meet there? Does anyone have any suggestions for what he might enjoy during the week with people nearer his own age?  He tends to be a bit shy, but still would love to make a few new friends while  on board, I'm sure.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might offer.

41 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Doe he possibly have a friend that may want to go? 

That's what I did when my niece graduated, both HS and college.  But obviously that increases the cost.  I did set a few ground rules, like I'd pickup the cost of the cruise but the friend had to cover her own air and excursions (I covered my niece's air.)  And I made them both buy Global Entry because I wasn't waiting for them to get through Passport Control when we flew back to the US.  🙂

On our last NCL cruise my oldest were 19 and 20. There were young adult meet ups which they attended and ended up with a fairly large group. We ate breakfast with them, went off the ship with them, dinner, shows, karaoke, but they were on their own after breakfast until dinner on sea days, and stayed out when we went to bed (same with the younger kids). It’s a nice balance. My son is very social though (the summer before college he arranged several meet ups for new students).

7 minutes ago, DebbieCruises said:

Where is the best place to meet them?  In the singles gatherings?

7 minutes ago, DebbieCruises said:

Where is the best place to meet them?  In the singles gatherings?

Yes, or at the bars, pool, let him know that the majority of people his age are traveling with their families, and to put himself out there, like a new freshman in college. Nothing to lose.

22 minutes ago, DebbieCruises said:

Thanks, I will.  I hope so much he has a great time!

One of my kids was a competitive Irish dancer, my mom was her dance mom (daughter middle child of five kids). They traveled together to Orlando, Anaheim, Boston, Chicago, Providence, Montreal, London, Dublin, Belfast, Killarney…. My daughter was 14 when her grandmother unexpectedly passed, she treasures her memories of their travels.

Congratulations on his graduation.  Just the fact he wants to vacation with you guys probably indicates he’s happy to hang out with you two.  I met you both on the Jade pre COVID 😊. Our daughters had a great time meeting people their own age when they were on a Mediterranean sailing. Ncl sponsored some activities and meeting times/places and it wasn’t long before the 10 or so college age kids all got together.  In fact our daughter is now engaged to the boy she met on the Jade! 

• Like 1

If he heads to the pool and/or hot tub area, he'll see plenty of people his age.  Also, there is usually a party at night up at spice H2O, and the night club is where the party ends at night.  I don't know if it's called Bliss on Encore, but he'll be able to find it