Luggage transfer to ship - Viking Pre Extension

Traveler456

If you are on a Viking pre-extension that includes sightseeing prior to transfer to the ship what happens to your luggage? Does your luggage - both checked and carry on - go with you on the sightseeing bus?  What happens to the luggage if you have free time in the city prior to transfer to the ship?

2 hours ago, Traveler456 said:

If you are on a Viking pre-extension that includes sightseeing prior to transfer to the ship what happens to your luggage? Does your luggage - both checked and carry on - go with you on the sightseeing bus?  What happens to the luggage if you have free time in the city prior to transfer to the ship?

We were on a Viking Pre in Athens in September and then a cruise on Sky. On the last night at the hotel we put our luggage (not carry ons) in the hallway with Viking provided tags. We didn't see them again until they were delivered to our staterooms on board. They were tranported by truck separate from the bus.

The next morning we took our carry ons down to the bus and they were loaded on the bus. I kept my camera/computer bag with me in my lap. We had no problems at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Traveler456 said:

On most of our various pre-extensions the luggage was placed on our bus. Before it was loaded and you boarded the bus you had to verify it was your bag. During any walking portion of the tour the bus was locked and carry ons were left on the bus. After boarding the bus you don’t see your luggage again until it appears in your hotel/stateroom.

I said “most” above because when we took the Switzerland pre-extension on a Viking river cruise, it included a train ride on the Glacier Express. For that extension they do no put the luggage on the train. Instead they transport it by truck to the ship where it shows up in your stateroom.

We also have taken the Oxford extension from Paris to London via train. On that extension the luggage was checked onto the train and then placed on the tour bus in London.

Depending on available logistics your luggage may arrive by various means but after you hand it over to Viking it ends up in your stateroom.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

For the Barcelona pre extension we put all luggage we did not wish to carry on the bus outside our hotel room.  We were assigned a specific time and bus number and had to ID our bags and they put them on our specific bus.  We had a 3 hour tour, bags were safe on the bus and we did not see them until we got to our stateroom.  We did not have the choice to stay in town and explore on our own.  There was no shuttle bus from port to town and back on embarkation day.