Are Pier Runners a Thing of the Past?

Our favorite was in Cozumel. We were on the Oasis and the Jewel was docked opposite us on the same pier. An older couple came staggering down the pier. At first I thought they had physical mobility issues, then realized that they were VERY drunk. They attempted to board the Oasis. When their Seapasses were scanned, the crew member very gently took them by the shoulder and walked them over to the Jewel. We saw them on the Jewel's glass elevators. They managed to get themselves off and then mistakenly got into the elevator beside that one. They realized their error at the last minute and barely avoided the doors closing on them. The last we saw of them they were weaving down the hall. It was highly entertaining.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:08 PM, pattak619 said:

One of the best “pier runners “ was a woman pushing a baby stroller with one hand and a drink(? Alcohol?)  in the other running like crazy and the watchers cheering her on!

Rick's Real/Reel Life: '9 to 5' 1980

• Haha 1

Lengthy piece on cc a number of years ago by a poor guy who missed ship in Nassau.  Had gone to Atlantis with family.  They had agreed on meeting point but at appointed time one son was missing.  He sent rest of family back to ship and waited but son never showed.  Later discovered the boy had returned to ship early with friends.  Father ran down pier to find ship sailing away.  Had drivers license and credit card but no passport.  Royal port agent not helpful.  Took him three days to visit American embassy, obtain replacement passport, find a plane to Haiti and take a taxi across the island to meet ship at Labadee.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

51 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Lengthy piece on cc a number of years ago by a poor guy who missed ship in Nassau.  Had gone to Atlantis with family.  They had agreed on meeting point but at appointed time one son was missing.  He sent rest of family back to ship and waited but son never showed.  Later discovered the boy had returned to ship early with friends.  Father ran down pier to find ship sailing away.  Had drivers license and credit card but no passport.  Royal port agent not helpful.  Took him three days to visit American embassy, obtain replacement passport, find a plane to Haiti and take a taxi across the island to meet ship at Labadee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 11:37 PM, nasa1974 said:

It's funny how people don't realize that Alaska Lines only has one set of tracks for all north and southbound traffic. The reason we were two hours late is that our passenger train had to pull off on a siding and wait for the freight traffic that had priority.

And do you recall seeing the smoke coming out of my ears sitting on that train while the minutes of the "Drink Package" were ticking away ???? LOL 🤣🍸🥤

• Haha 2

On 10/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, cruisingpeople said:

And do you recall seeing the smoke coming out of my ears sitting on that train while the minutes of the "Drink Package" were ticking away ???? LOL 🤣🍸🥤

LOL!!!  Yep  🙂  After 6 hours on the train it was like "what do you mean it's going to be another 2 hours".  However, as I remember, that drink package didn't go to waste. I believe a few drinks came our way on that cruise. Of course, don't forget the snowball fight at the Mt. McKinley Lodge.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:05 AM, jean87510 said:

I think they are starting to come back (pier runners).  I don't know when you sailed but once a lot of the countries and restrictions changed (only ship excursions, approved taxis (Grenada in December))...etc..  I tended to see more.  I didn't see any last November off of Adventure but I'm usually at the gym at sailaway.  I did see a few in Bermuda in September.

Is Grenada busier in December or has more rules? Or it’s still easy to get the water ride to the beach without booking an excursion? Tysm 

When Royal used to dock at the old location in Jamaica. Longer pier and party port, besided the over served guest they also had the drug sniffing dogs checking guest on the pier. Saw some interesting events at that location back in the day. Seems to me that people have gotten a little more controled now, don't see as many of them but still hear the announements on board of a few prior to every departure. 

2 hours ago, TinoIG said:

Is Grenada busier in December or has more rules? Or it’s still easy to get the water ride to the beach without booking an excursion? Tysm 

we were there last December when it was very different time then now.  Best bet is to go on the Grenada forum and ask.