HAL Newbie Booking Questions

Tedferg

Looking at Canada / New England Aug 2023. Boston - Quebec, 7 Day, Zaandam. Considering OV since it is port intensive and cost for Balcony is significantly more.

Yesterday Sale HIA included Gratuities, today it does not - How typical is it to include Gratuities? (HIA not worth it w/o Grats)

Std, non HIA, is non-refundable deposit - is this typical?

Is HIA a refundable deposit?

Offered OV cabins are on Deck 4 - any problems with that?

I’m new to HAL myself and just booked my first cruise.

There are typically multiple fares available. The cheapest fare has a non-refundable deposit. You can ask for the advantage fair, which is between lowest and HIA. Deposit is refundable. I noticed you can’t book the advantage fair on HAL’s website. You can book by calling HAL. The price is also listed on some third party sites.

• Like 1

Correction ship is Zuiderdam

Thanks, dlca, I tried a big box site, and they always include HIA, will keep looking.

ETA OK I see advantage fare on an on-line site, thanks again.

Edited by Tedferg

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Looking at Canada / New England Aug 2023. Boston - Quebec, 7 Day, Zaandam. Considering OV since it is port intensive and cost for Balcony is significantly more.

Offered OV cabins are on Deck 4 - any problems with that?

The reason balconies are so much more on the Zaandam is that there are no Verandah cabins -- the smallest cabin with a balcony is the Vista Suite. You will also pay more for your Crew Appreciation ($17pppd instead of $15.50). 

I think the OV cabins you are looking at are on Deck 3, the Lower Promenade deck. Where the actual promenade will be steps from your room! (Deck 4 has no staterooms, only public areas and the main galley.)

My family has stayed in Partially Obstructed OVs 3372-3380 (portside). You don't want to be aft of 3380 (3375 starboard) or you'll be under the galley where they roll heavy trolleys all night! The PO-OVs are a lower price, and as you said, you won't be in your room that much! You get enough of a view to check the weather!

However, the non-obstructed OVs on Deck 4, from 3331-3370 are very nice if in your budget. They have all been retrofitted with glass showers (shower only) if that appeals to you. Here is a photo "album" with mini-review of one of these cabins, right after the dry-dock when the bathroom was remodelled.

https://halfacts.com/r-class/3339-zaandam/

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Correction ship is Zuiderdam

I guess my answer on the Zaandam was typing while you were editing this post! As far as Zuidy, the Deck 4 OVs are all obstructed by lifeboats or tenders to one degree or other EXCEPT for 4121 and 4122 (and the view from those is 'set back' from the deeper balconies to their aft). Some have noted noise from the boats swinging in rough seas. That said I have booked similar cabins on cruises that wound up cancelled! 

The Zuiderdam is maybe my favorite ship so far. We did a TransAtlantic and so had plenty of time onboard!

Thanks for input, for clarification, most itineraries are on Zaandam and OV offered there are on Deck 3. So, my initial questions did refer to Zaandam. I then spotted Zuiderdam and looked at it because I thought there is more evening entertainment. And so, I confused deck 3 and deck 4. The full OV on Zuiderdam are forward on deck 1. Are showers in bathtubs in OV?

This would be a 'make up' cruise for us. We just did NY to Quebec on Princess and missed four ports due to Fiona. Want to see Bar Harbor and rather than redo a cruise we have just done, seems a good time to try a new cruise line.

Edited by Tedferg