Are there any benefits to booking next cruise on board?

CTRobin

There is generally an onboard credit that goes along with booking onboard.  Since the amount varies we will not give it a dollar value.  For those of us who use cruise/travel agents you can book onboard and have it transferred to your regular agency (who might further enhance the On Board Credit).  You also will generally get double Voyagers Club Points for booking onboard...if this is important to you.  

Bottom line is that if you are thinking about a future cruise why not go ahead and talk to the future cruise folks (when you are aboard) and evaluate their offer.

Hank

We’ve never taken the time to book a future cruise while on board but the notion of transferring the booking to a TA for the potential to get more obc, especially if it’s refundable, may be incentive enough to give this a second thought. I just wouldn’t want to spend a lot of my vacation time doing it. Perhaps go in with a few cruises in mind and present the agent with the details so they can work up a number for you in a timely manner. 

55 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We’ve never taken the time to book a future cruise while on board but the notion of transferring the booking to a TA for the potential to get more obc, especially if it’s refundable, may be incentive enough to give this a second thought. I just wouldn’t want to spend a lot of my vacation time doing it. Perhaps go in with a few cruises in mind and present the agent with the details so they can work up a number for you in a timely manner. 

Totally agree!! Years past you could save hundreds by shopping TA's, On Line Agencies, Cruise lines, etc. Now a days cabin prices among all options are very close. Its the OBC and other soft benefits (free gratuities,etc) where you can save some bucks going through TA or On line Agency. I personally have booked all my cruises online since around 2000.... Much easier and gives me more choices. Then again I enjoy the "chase". But the very few times I had a question or needed a small change...I found the agencies very responsive and worked through the Cruise line to change. Side note: I usually book no more than 6 months out (once a cruise is on my mind...the wait kills me lol)...so there may be additional savings booking on board if your planning a year or so out 

• Like 1

But, if there's a price drop....will they adjust?

My story...on a currently booked Mera sailing.  I had to cancel and rebook 3 times...for the same cabin.  The last time was the same promo...but about $150 less.

I assume that whatever benefit you get by booking during the cruise....you'll lose that benefit if you qualify for a price adjustment.

• Like 1

I booked the Oct 13th 10 day sailing 3 days prior to departure while onboard the Meraviglia. When I mentioned that, as a Diamond member, double points didn’t do much for me, he threw in an extra $100 OBC to cover the WiFi. So that was nice. But that’s the only time I’ve gotten anything extra like that. 

• Like 1

I'm sailing May 2023 from NY and want to make it an annual event, so looking ahead to 2024. I'm afraid to wait until I cruise and find that the room/category I would like is not available. I don't even see any sailings in May from NY right now. Maybe there won't be any. 

If I saw an online agency with any kind of extra benefit, I would consider it, I'd just have to learn to leave them alone and let them do their job. 😄

On 10/14/2022 at 12:20 PM, Hlitner said:

There is generally an onboard credit that goes along with booking onboard.  Since the amount varies we will not give it a dollar value.  For those of us who use cruise/travel agents you can book onboard and have it transferred to your regular agency (who might further enhance the On Board Credit).  You also will generally get double Voyagers Club Points for booking onboard...if this is important to you.  

Bottom line is that if you are thinking about a future cruise why not go ahead and talk to the future cruise folks (when you are aboard) and evaluate their offer.

Hank

agreed.... and if you have wifi on the ship, you can show them the lowest offer