PG excursion - Drift snorkeling - Taha'a

mermaid 285

Is this tour only available in the morning?  I was hoping to spend the morning at motu Mahana and do the drift snorkel in the afternoon if possible.

Alternatively PG offer  a half day  catamaran tour including drift snorkeling.  I'd love to hear from people who have done that about their experience.

On our Sept 7 cruise they had moved the drift snorkel from it's previous location to a new location. We were told this was due to low water levels in the original location. The walk is a bit more difficult because you need to walk 50-75 feet from the shore into the water before you put on your snorkel gear, but the area itself is outstanding. It is wider, longer, the current is not as strong, and it is much easier to navigate through the coral garden. The coral is every bit as magnificent as the original area. For me, the drift snorkel is an absolute must do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mermaid 285 said:

Mr Randal,  did you have that drop dead gorgeous view of Bora Bora from there too?  

No, the only thing missing from the new location is the view of Mt Otemanu that you had at the old location. The angle of the channel is a little different. And if water levels return to previous conditions, I would expect them to return to the old location. Either way, the view under the water is why you're there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, excited balcony said:

Tahitianbigkahuna, what camera did you use in the water?  Your pictures are so beautifully clear. 

Interestingly ... an old GoPro 5 but I do program to my liking. Thanks for the kind words. 

Tahaa drift snorkel 

big fish.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, Traveler with a porpose said:

Paul Gauguin lists the drift snorkeling as recommended for the experienced snorkeler.  How difficult is the activity?  We have snorkeled occasionally in the past, but not recently.  Any idea if we would encounter problems with the excursion?

You should be a strong swimmer and I would say comfortable and confident with your snorkeling gear. 

I am not sure how much the current varies but it was very strong and fast when we went and it did require effort to assure that we stayed off the coral. There were a couple of people that struggled with that which led to some cuts/scrapes and, sadly, likely damage to the coral. It seemed to me that those that struggled did so more because of their swimming skill level rather than lack of experience snorkeling.

There are typically 3 passes  ...

First one is relatively easy. The next two more coral and a need to be able to turn 90 degrees. I've taken several times and have had no problems accept twice when I got scraped. The reason both times was because I was toward the rear of the 'line' and people in front of me stopped to take pictures, thus everyone was immediately in need of stopping quickly. I was in deeper water and could not easily stop and thus got scraped. Vendor stacks people to close together IMO. 

To avoid make sure your toward the front of the line. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 2:49 PM, MrRandal said:

On our Sept 7 cruise they had moved the drift snorkel from it's previous location to a new location. We were told this was due to low water levels in the original location. The walk is a bit more difficult because you need to walk 50-75 feet from the shore into the water before you put on your snorkel gear, but the area itself is outstanding. It is wider, longer, the current is not as strong, and it is much easier to navigate through the coral garden. The coral is every bit as magnificent as the original area. For me, the drift snorkel is an absolute must do.

Assuming the original location was The Coral Gardens, can you tell me what the new location was?  Thanks.

Here's a few videos to wet your whistle. Caveat: They were all taken on calm days. We were not on a tour. But our first visit on a tour was still great and led us back for an extended trip. On our tour, current was strong and there were a few scrapes.  After the passes there is usually some hang around on the beach time.  Consider using this time to walk/swim back into the gardens. There are lots of channels to explore.

• Like 1