Rotterdam and masks

RetiredRich

31 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

It could also be that the flu is ramping up so it could be flu, Noro, or COVID. On our last recent cruise it seemed some crew were in quarantine but they never announced that specifically.  When they were having an emergency test drill. part of that announcement was that crew in isolation should stay in isolation and not participate. There were a minimum number of people wearing masks and it was "recommended" but not required.

New crew can come aboard and not just on embarkation day. They can join the ship

at various ports.  They have to isolate before starting work.

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam when the Captain made the annoucement that the Crew no longer needed to wear Masks.  Everyone  applauded and for a couple of days it was wonderful seeing their smiling faces.  Unfortunately, it didn't last long and the Mask were once again Mandatory for the Crew due to so many coughing and sneezing Passengers and some sick Crew.  

I imagine it will be an up and down thing for awhile especially with the Winter months ahead!

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam when the Captain made the annoucement that the Crew no longer needed to wear Masks.  Everyone  applauded and for a couple of days it was wonderful seeing their smiling faces.  Unfortunately, it didn't last long and the Mask were once again Mandatory for the Crew due to so many coughing and sneezing Passengers and some sick Crew.  

I imagine it will be an up and down thing for awhile especially with the Winter months ahead!

Everyone applauded? How were you able to see that?

39 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Everyone applauded? How were you able to see that?

The Captain announced it at the Noon talk.  We were in Lido at the time and everyone we could see were applauding.  If someone didn’t like it, we didn’t hear it.  Those we spoke to in Elevators, etc. all were happy about the decision.   The Crew were so excited, too!  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

The Captain announced it at the Noon talk.  We were in Lido at the time and everyone we could see were applauding.  If someone didn’t like it, we didn’t hear it.  Those we spoke to in Elevators, etc. all were happy about the decision.   The Crew were so excited, too!  

Thank you.  That’s a more accurate description.  I try very hard not to say everyone in any of my posts because that is literally impossible. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I think it will remain in the "recommended" status and it will be your choice. We sat in front of a gentleman in the theater that had a very noticeable cough.  He assured the people around him he tested negative for COVID and he stated he did not have pneumonia however he did not wear a mask but continued to cough continuously.

Was he at least covering his mouth or making some attempt? 

On our Norway cruise on the Rotterdam last month, I was amazed how many people sitting in the Ocean bar would continually just cough openly, with no attempt to cover their mouths. Where have these people been for the last 2-3 years?

It was so bad , I asked my husband "do you think it's an older generation thing?", like maybe we could avoid it on a younger ship. (I don't think so sadly).

I honestly cannot cough in home own hone, alone, without a reflex of bringing my arm up to cover my mouth. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Was he at least covering his mouth or making some attempt? 

On our Norway cruise on the Rotterdam last month, I was amazed how many people sitting in the Ocean bar would continually just cough openly, with no attempt to cover their mouths. Where have these people been for the last 2-3 years?

It was so bad , I asked my husband "do you think it's an older generation thing?", like maybe we could avoid it on a younger ship. (I don't think so sadly).

I honestly cannot cough in home own hone, alone, without a reflex of bringing my arm up to cover my mouth. 

Hey I'm old and I cover my mouth.  I wear a mask a lot.  It comes down to manners and covering your mouth.  Clearly a lot of people don't care.  I see way more people not covering their mouth than I see covering.  This is why I lay low on a cruise, but I prefer it as well.

• Like 3

I was on a 23 day sailing in August and I wore a mask most of the time except when I was eating or walking on the outside deck.  Some of the people coughing sounded so horrible I was afraid and would get up and move away from them.  Mask were recommended but not mandatory.  I returned home and stayed covid free.  I feel it was due to the masks.  I maybe wearing a mask in December depending on the coughing and sneezing on board.  I would rather wear a mask than miss part of my cruise.  Just my feelings.

• Like 4

Bermuda...

There's no point in arguing with folks who believe Masks Recommended doesn't translate to Masks Optional.  It's obvious these folks have never read a government directive and had the infamous "shall vs. should" debate.

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Bermuda...

There's no point in arguing with folks who believe Masks Recommended doesn't translate to Masks Optional.  It's obvious these folks have never read a government directive and had the infamous "shall vs. should" debate.

I'm not trying to be argumentative (honestly).

Rumors that the CDC has some authority to step back in and suspend operations under the current guidelines does nothing but harm the industry.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

IMO:  to me this means that all of us who are planning to cruise again should be prepared for a mask requirement &/or the guidelines to change w/o notice.  As for myself, we will pack our favorite type of masks.  We've sailed a total of 52 days since the restart on 2 different cruise lines.  Both lines supplied their version of masks at the beginning of each voyage.  Whether masks were required on any of those cruises varied.  I have & will continue to pack accordingly.  We like the lighter weight hospital grade masks, so I pack enough for both of us to have a clean mask each day.  In my experience, HAL provides  heavier cloth masks, which translates to hot & sweaty in the Caribbean, but would be a plus in colder climates like Alaska.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

IMO:  to me this means that all of us who are planning to cruise again should be prepared for a mask requirement &/or the guidelines to change w/o notice.  As for myself, we will pack our favorite type of masks.  We've sailed a total of 52 days since the restart on 2 different cruise lines.  Both lines supplied their version of masks at the beginning of each voyage.  Whether masks were required on any of those cruises varied.  I have & will continue to pack accordingly.  We like the lighter weight hospital grade masks, so I pack enough for both of us to have a clean mask each day.  In my experience, HAL provides  heavier cloth masks, which translates to hot & sweaty in the Caribbean, but would be a plus in colder climates like Alaska.  

Actually they provided kn 95 masks on the koningsdam in March.  They were quite tight fitting.  I liked them.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

Actually they provided kn 95 masks on the koningsdam in March.  They were quite tight fitting.  I liked them.

I am not tech savvy, wish I could post a pic of the masks we have received from HAL This may have been shortly after restart, but we have 4 heavy cloth masks that have the HAL logo on them.  We also have some kn95 masked provided by either HAL or Carnival

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

I am not tech savvy, wish I could post a pic of the masks we have received from HAL This may have been shortly after restart, but we have 4 heavy cloth masks that have the HAL logo on them.  We also have some kn95 masked provided by either HAL or Carnival

I saw those masks at the beginning of the restart.  Cabins received the standard masks that were not kn95.  The cloth ones were on sale for $10 on the lido mid pool.  Ours was the second cruise and masks were not required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I saw those masks at the beginning of the restart.  Cabins received the standard masks that were not kn95.  The cloth ones were on sale for $10 on the lido mid pool.  Ours was the second cruise and masks were not required.

Yes, we were on a 21 day Panama canal from Seattle to FLL in October of 2021.  IIRC, we got the logo masks at the beginning of that cruise left in our cabin.

3 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Yes, we were on a 21 day Panama canal from Seattle to FLL in October of 2021.  IIRC, we got the logo masks at the beginning of that cruise left in our cabin.

Yup, I still use those mask for short term.  I know exactly the ones you are talking about.  The kn 95 mask were the ones provided in March 2022.  I haven’t found any masks here that fit as well as those.

• Like 1

My hubby nor I like wearing the masks, but we do follow the rules when required.  Our 21 day required masks in all public spaces.  It was 1 of the 1st longish cruises after restart.  They did covid tests about every 5-6 days on the ship.  I was impressed with how well they handled ship wide covid testing.  Every 5-6 days we would find a letter in our cabin telling us to go to a specific dining room at a specific time  for a covid test.  Never took very long, very organized.  

5 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

My hubby nor I like wearing the masks, but we do follow the rules when required.  Our 21 day required masks in all public spaces.  It was 1 of the 1st longish cruises after restart.  They did covid tests about every 5-6 days on the ship.  I was impressed with how well they handled ship wide covid testing.  Every 5-6 days we would find a letter in our cabin telling us to go to a specific dining room at a specific time  for a covid test.  Never took very long, very organized.  

I agree.  I had to be tested for b2b cruises as well as to fly home as was the rule in Canada at the time. It was done well for the most part.  That said it wasn't as good in March 2022 when it was done in the  pier building.  Hal farmed it out to another company.

40 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

IMO:  to me this means that all of us who are planning to cruise again should be prepared for a mask requirement &/or the guidelines to change w/o notice.  

This is wise. I agree that there will always be a chance that protocols may change and anyone electing to cruise should be prepared to roll with the flow.