Beyond Le Voyage Daniel Boulud cookbook

zitsky

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Nope.  Just a complimentary glass of champagne and a great meal, but the venue can be noisy, small space all hard surfaces and fully booked.

I can deal with some noise.  Cheaper than going to NYC to try his restaurant.   I’ve booked two nights.

Just now, jelayne said:

We just finished dinner at Fine Cut. Booked a 8:30 reservation, got a table in a quiet corner by the window.  The meal was, IMHO,  better than LeVoyage.  Sometimes the most expensive isn’t the best.

That’s the thing about booking two nights.  If you don’t like it you can cancel one.

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

I can deal with some noise.  Cheaper than going to NYC to try his restaurant.   I’ve booked two nights.

You get what you pay for as his NYC restaurant, Daniel, is superior to Le Voyage:

-The Daniel restaurant was awarded not one but two Michelin stars (it was once a 3 star).

-Michelin Stars are awarded to a restaurant (not the chef) and all they care about is the food, they don't care about, the restaurant atmosphere or service.

-While it's not uncommon to hear "Michelin starred chef", all that means is that a chef was working at a Michelin starred restaurant; a newly hired sous chef who had no impact on the recipe development can call themselves a Michelin starred chef.

-The less popular James Beard Award is awarded to the Chef.

-The restaurant Daniel does not have any restrictions with fresh food sourcing like they do on ships where most food arrives frozen on pallets as they need to ensure meals on night 7 taste the same as night 1.

Bottom line:  Le Voyage could be one of the best restaurants at sea (the food and atmosphere are getting mixed reviews with service, as expected, receiving rave reviews) but shouldn't be compared to a land based Michelin starred restaurant.

We were very disappointed with Le Voyage. It's not 'Fine Dining' in regards to the food served or the service. It's definitely not Michelin Star quality. Maybe we struck out on a bad night but they refunded our money after course number 3 (I did not ask them to do this, we just tried to leave and would chalk it up to experience) If you can afford it and are prepared to be perhaps underwhelmed then give it a go. Lots of people seem to like so maybe we were just unlucky.

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Depends if you see the value...

Le Voyage $150/couple

Buffet FREE

Maybe we can all post buffet reviews instead of eating at specialty restaurants.  I like buffets but not when I travel.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe we can all post buffet reviews instead of eating at specialty restaurants.  I like buffets but not when I travel.

If Le Voyage sounds attractive, they should book it yet my original comment was to point out Le Voyage should not be compared his more expensive 2 Michelin Starred NYC restaurant. 

The buffet is one option, Le Voyage is the most expensive specialty restaurant, there are cheaper specialty restaurants that occasionally go on sale and there's also the MDR/Blu/Luminae.

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If Le Voyage sounds attractive, they should book it yet my original comment was to point out Le Voyage should not be compared his more expensive 2 Michelin Starred NYC restaurant. 

The buffet is one option, Le Voyage is the most expensive specialty restaurant, there are cheaper specialty restaurants that occasionally go on sale and there's also the MDR/Blu/Luminae.

We do all know that we’re on a cruise ship, right?

On my last Viking river cruise, when I went to Paul Bocuse’s restaurant outside Lyon I did think it would be better than the ship.

I am not suggesting that a cruise ship restaurant is equivalent to a Michelin restaurant on land.  But I think it will give me some idea what the chef’s food is like.

The next time I am in New York City, I can try one of Daniel’s restaurants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Can anyone comment about the Daniel Boulud cookbook they give out?  Any chefs here who have tried it or any of his other cookbooks?  I see you can find them used at a decent price.

Cookbook = Just OK.  The restaurant in NYC was excellent.

Comparing buffet to $150 for dinner?  Easy as I've me a piece of fish lightly grilled along with some veggies collected nearby and I am very very happy.  Lots of better places to spend $150.

As given the dinner on board.  Restaurant was miles better.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Can anyone comment about the Daniel Boulud cookbook they give out?  Any chefs here who have tried it or any of his other cookbooks?  I see you can find them used at a decent price.

No cookbooks were given out when we or our friends were there the current sailing. 

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Cookbook = Just OK.  The restaurant in NYC was excellent.

Comparing buffet to $150 for dinner?  Easy as I've me a piece of fish lightly grilled along with some veggies collected nearby and I am very very happy.  Lots of better places to spend $150.

As given the dinner on board.  Restaurant was miles better.

Ok thanks for that.  I do not cruise often or spend that much.  I may have a burger and beer once or twice.  Maybe I’ll go to the buffet for lunch if I can find nothing else.  However the food is a big part of it.  Why go on a cruise to eat at the buffet when I eat better than that at home.

Cookbooks

Sorry let me clarify.

i am asking about the cookbook given on non Edge ships when booking the Boulud dinner.  Not Le Voyage.

Edited by zitsky

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Have you seen it?  Have you used it?

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a cookbook; most use YouTube for recipes nowadays because you can see how many views and comments they have and see how they perform more complicated techniques.  If you think about it, it’s would be pretty difficult to learn how to make a perfect omelette from a book

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a cookbook; most use YouTube for recipes nowadays because you can see how many views and comments they have and see how they perform more complicated techniques.  If you think about it, it’s would be pretty difficult to learn how to make a perfect omelette from a book

Well I guess I can put my new laptop in the kitchen and watch YouTube videos.  I hadn’t thought of that.

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Don't want to appear ungrateful but handing out a ~ 10-LBS coffee table sized cookbook to guests who are mostly flying (subject to weight limits) isn't a smart idea 😲

2 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Don't want to appear ungrateful but handing out a ~ 10-LBS coffee table sized cookbook to guests who are mostly flying (subject to weight limits) isn't a smart idea 😲

Our friends got a cookbook on the sailing we had to cancel.  Do I really have to buy on Amazon?  Worst cruise I’ve never taken, EVER!!!  🥸

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The cookbook, assuming X is still giving them out is from 2013 and titled "Daniel: My French Cuisine"

That's the one we received last November.  Make sure the suitcase has a margin for a couple of extra pounds at airline check-in.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

That's the one we received last November.  Make sure the suitcase has a margin for a couple of extra pounds at airline check-in.

Did you use the cookbook?  Is it any good?  I have browsed Amazon reviews.